Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
Back2Lawrence

Re: Totally random thread

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Maybe Franklin and Whirleypop are same brand, I dunno.

I can’t get Amazon link to work for some reason.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We have taken several bids to do some landscaping projects around the yard. We've broken it up into needs, we gotta get some piled up dirt off the siding, and wants, plant some stuff where no grass will grow.

Mrs. 99 is notoriously slow at making up her mind about which bid to take. I met and like this one dude and he submitted a bid. He texts me a day or two later and I tell him we're still making up our minds. Then again, two days later. I tell him Mrs. 99 is working and we won't make a decision for a while. Dude is nice and has a good rep, I'm inclined to use him over other bidders. Dude texts again, I say we are still deciding and I'll contact him when we've made a decision. Two days later I get a text and email. I ignore. A couple of days ago, same thing, text and email. I ignore again.

Just now, I get a FB friend request from him.

Should I be worried?
Broham
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

i can’t handle that level of pushiness, and have taken my business elsewhere for such things
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:30 pm We have taken several bids to do some landscaping projects around the yard. We've broken it up into needs, we gotta get some piled up dirt off the siding, and wants, plant some stuff where no grass will grow.

Mrs. 99 is notoriously slow at making up her mind about which bid to take. I met and like this one dude and he submitted a bid. He texts me a day or two later and I tell him we're still making up our minds. Then again, two days later. I tell him Mrs. 99 is working and we won't make a decision for a while. Dude is nice and has a good rep, I'm inclined to use him over other bidders. Dude texts again, I say we are still deciding and I'll contact him when we've made a decision. Two days later I get a text and email. I ignore. A couple of days ago, same thing, text and email. I ignore again.

Should I be worried?
my unsolicited advice based on the little information I have. Run.

I do bids all the time. I would never consider adding anyone of Facebook. That's absurd.

My bids are good for 30 days. I generally don't bother the client and let them make their decision. Generally, the only time I will follow up is to just check in for scheduling. I try to block out some general time frames for the work and will contact them down the road to see what they think and to let them know that it's no problem if they don't want to proceed or want more time but I will have to slide them down the schedule and infill with other clients that have down payments in etc.

This guy us going to pretend to be friends, claim he's giving you a good buddy deal, then annoy the shit out of you throughout the process and be a general pain in the ass. He's gonna add costs along the way and use his "friend" status to give you the "yea we did this and that and yknow how it is the economy these days, can't get good help, we ran into this or that...thats gonna be another $2,000" blah blah blah
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:34 pm i can’t handle that level of pushiness, and have taken my business elsewhere for such things
He seems more desperate than pushy
Broham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

if hes desperate he either doesn't do quality work, or he doesn't have good value.
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:53 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:30 pm We have taken several bids to do some landscaping projects around the yard. We've broken it up into needs, we gotta get some piled up dirt off the siding, and wants, plant some stuff where no grass will grow.

Should I be worried?
my unsolicited advice based on the little information I have. Run.

I do bids all the time. I would never consider adding anyone of Facebook. That's absurd.

My bids are good for 30 days. I generally don't bother the client and let them make their decision. Generally, the only time I will follow up is to just check in for scheduling. I try to block out some general time frames for the work and will contact them down the road to see what they think and to let them know that it's no problem if they don't want to proceed or want more time but I will have to slide them down the schedule and infill with other clients that have down payments in etc.

This guy us going to pretend to be friends, claim he's giving you a good buddy deal, then annoy the shit out of you throughout the process and be a general pain in the ass. He's gonna add costs along the way and use his "friend" status to give you the "yea we did this and that and yknow how it is the economy these days, can't get good help, we ran into this or that...thats gonna be another $2,000" blah blah blah
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.
Broham
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Anyone heard of, or have tasted, a grape variety called Thomcord? It was in our local market and tried it for the first time. Fantastic! They taste like Concord but are seedless like Thompson
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So the dating apps let you pick questions to prompt a chat.

I added, “tell me your favorite Bob Dylan song.”

And, so far, 5/5, every single response has been Hurricane.

putting here instead of the tinder thread cuz, I mean, what were the odds?!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TDub wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:57 pm if hes desperate he either doesn't do quality work, or he doesn't have good value.
I would say this is probably 80% true most of the time - unless his business is new - then he may be desperate but also does do quality work.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

my favorite bob dylan song is "you ain't goin nowhere"
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

That’s blackmild’s favorite too.

Mine is, when I paint my masterpiece. It has all the elements - fantastical storytelling, surreal imagery, whimsical mood, plenty of good covers.

Plus the whole idea of the title. Cuz I still think my best work remains ahead of me in life. (Cue illy like no OUSDAHL you clearly peaked in high school!!)

And I was about to say every chick’s fave is hurricane, but this way cute little blue eyed brunette at the covfefe shop just picked…ballad of a thin man?!
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I saw Bob Dylan live at the Missouri State fair I wanna say my freshman year in college.
He couldn't give any fucks.
Zero given.

And I get it - he was in Missouri.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I saw Dylan and Petty at Sandstone. Probably '87 or so.
Broham
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yea, i'm guessing more fucks given when those dudes hadn't hit 50 yet...though Petty was pretty renowned for putting on rockin' shows.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

What’s at the top of your (plausible) list of acts you haven’t seen live, but want to?

For me, it’s Zac Brown Band.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Pink Floyd came through KC in about 81 or 82, my girlfriend at the time put in for the ticket lottery. We didn't get them.
Broham
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

joe ely
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 12:44 pm What’s at the top of your (plausible) list of acts you haven’t seen live, but want to?

For me, it’s Zac Brown Band.
not sure of the plausibility, but i’ve always regretted not see Tool live