Disney Pulls ESPN and ABC off DirectTV

Other Sports.
twocoach

Disney Pulls ESPN and ABC off DirectTV

Post by twocoach »

I hope none of you rely on DirectTV for your upcoming ESPN and ABC sports:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/01/business ... index.html

Disney on Sunday pulled its ABC stations, ESPN and other cable networks from DirecTV’s lineup as the two companies failed to reach a new distribution deal, leaving millions of sports fans in the dark as the college football and NFL seasons get underway.

The expiration of an agreement between the two companies led to Disney-owned networks going dark for more than 11 million satellite subscribers ahead of Sunday night’s kickoff between the USC Trojans and LSU Tigers, midway through the US Open tennis tournament and days before the NFL season opener.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Disney Pulls ESPN and ABC off DirectTV

Post by pdub »

I do.
I'd guess this is 90% on Disney.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

FWIW, I (a DirecTV subscriber and ATT [DirecTV parent] internet subscriber) watched USC/LSU last night on the ESPN app on my TV, no issues. I could not access it through my DirecTV app.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The cost of these things has gotten out of hand. And they always play hardball in the fall. Screw 'em
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

add this to the list of of things where money (the never-ending pursuit thereof) is chiseling away at enjoyment of the game
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Happens with directTV all the time. Usually it gets resolved sooner rather than later. Happened with CBS and them recently iirc.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:06 pm add this to the list of of things where money (the never-ending pursuit thereof) is chiseling away at enjoyment of the game
Far too much of our economy comprises breaking things that work, just so you can stick your hand in the middle of the fix.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:27 am
KUTradition wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 6:06 pm add this to the list of of things where money (the never-ending pursuit thereof) is chiseling away at enjoyment of the game
Far too much of our economy comprises breaking things that work, just so you can stick your hand in the middle of the fix.
I believe we are past the apex of the bell curve, where the top represents peak enjoyment for the maximum number of users, and the backside represents enjoyment for those with an above-average income. The same logic can be applied to things like the renovations to AFH, Booth, where capacity is going to be reduced. There is NO WAY IN HELL that the costs of tickets aren't going to = today's prices*(previous attendance/new attendance)+% corporate increase need vs. last year's prices.

Combined with the ability of organizations to control not only day one, but 3rd party sales through scarcity distribution patterns, etc. Yuck.

I mean, in addition to a lack of time bc we are all older with different time sucks pulling at our entertainment/free time, how many of you have reduced the # of events you attend either by yourself or with friends/family bc of cost prohibitors? If not, you are part of the bourgeois that is on the back end of the bell curve, and probably won't recognize it as such as much as some that aren't over the hump, so to speak. And that's really what matters, and how those in charge math.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don’t go to live events very often at all.

The commitment - time and money - is just out of scope as compared with other options.

My thinking would likely be different if my kids were more into it. But as an example, my older daughter loves KU and loves volleyball - and awesome tickets for that are a fraction of what medium-quality AFH tickets are, and the logistics are significantly easier, so we’re doing that a couple times this fall. And no AFH plans.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

If you are try to get FF tix guy and part of the william's fund, volleyball tix are a good way to go. My dad has season tix and often gives me his tix to the matches. Good environment. good product when team is good.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I have no expectation of ever spending money that would be meaningful for Williams Fund/priority purposes.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:25 am I have no expectation of ever spending money that would be meaningful for Williams Fund/priority purposes.
copy that. me either, but i benefit from a Father who married an ex-ku employee, and had basketball tix (and tix to everything else) for 25 years. in 2022, we were sitting next to the Teahan (extended) family.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:25 am I have no expectation of ever spending money that would be meaningful for Williams Fund/priority purposes.
Grinter farms is about to be peak bloom, FYI, if unaware.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Love that place
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Fortunately KU's next game is on FS1.
The Monday night game is SF v Jets so that's not very high on my watch list.
Next Friday night, KU is on ESPN, but i'm out of town, subject to the cabin we're renting's cable/satellite service...so that could be a problem...but hopefully the rich fucks have resolved the situation by then...if not, Yo Ho ho, and a bottle of rum.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:23 am Fortunately KU's next game is on FS1.
The Monday night game is SF v Jets so that's not very high on my watch list.
Next Friday night, KU is on ESPN, but i'm out of town, subject to the cabin we're renting's cable/satellite service...so that could be a problem...but hopefully the rich fucks have resolved the situation by then.
altitude/comcast were at a standstill as of april of this year. that started in 2019. not sure if it was resovled this year or not.

Kroenke is the worst. Comcast (xfinity) is no better.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DirectTV is trying to cater smaller bundles for their consumers.
Disney is like, nah, fuck that, pay us.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 11:33 am DirectTV is trying to cater smaller bundles for their consumers.
Disney is like, nah, fuck that, pay us.
…while delivering worse and worse product.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Can’t watch this Friday night football in Brazil bc it’s on freaking Peacock.
Can’t watch the American semi final of the US Open because freaking Disney.