Gutter's 5 questions for national bowling league day 9/3/24

Coffee talk.
Back2Lawrence

Re: Gutter's 5 questions for national bowling league day 9/3/24

Post by Back2Lawrence »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:51 am I have replied to Gutter's question posts and then deleted the questions so I don't have to scroll. Not sure if that causes any problems
at end of day, none of it is really a problem. But quoting the Original post (which can be quite long) and having your answers right below causes me the brain pain). Again, nothing is 'wrong' with doing that or what you are speaking of, but it makes the thread hard to read, and any of us that want to read other's answers already know the questions posed, so they are at least partially internalized and not necessary to quote here.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:15 am 1. Two parter.
a. Have you ever been in a bowling league?
b. When was the last time you went bowling?

2. You have to drink a 12 ounce glass of ice water with a little bit of one of the following natural fruit juices added to the glass of water. Which do you choose?
a. watermelon
b. lime
c. apple
d. orange
e. grapefruit
f. pineapple
g. raspberry
h. lemon

3. Which came first - pickles or plums or peppers?

4. I used to collect guitar picks (plectrums) from "famous" guitarists. Some I obtained directly from the guitarists, some I was given by people who are in the music industry, some I bought from highly reliable people, and some I bought from people I don't know and I am highly skeptical if they are legit.
Regardless, if you could choose THREE guitarists (living or dead) to have their guitar picks, who would you choose?

5. You are going on vacation this winter by yourself to the Miami area and you have to rent a car for a week and pay for it.
These are your choices. Which do you choose?
a. 2025 Mercedes E 350 Sedan for $1,000.
b. 2025 Honda Accord Sedan EX CVT for $590
c. 2025 Corvette Stingray for $1250
d. 2025 Ford Mustang Convertible (not GT) for $850
e. 2025 Lamborghini Temerario for $3750
f. 2025 Jeep Grand Cherokee for $695
g. 2024 Tesla Cybertruck for $2250
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

You can take the cunt out of the country, but then they move to Maine.

**edit---I actually expected gutter to quote everything here just to do (old-school) Gutter things lol.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:00 pm You can take the cunt out of the country, but then they move to Maine.

**edit---I actually expected gutter to quote everything here just to do (old-school) Gutter things lol.
I had to.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

the page flipped, so it's not a horrible thing...especially to repost questions in case someone needs to respond to OP.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

1a. no, but they are popular around here
1b. pre-covid. Maybe once a year back then.
2. Lemon first. Any would be fine. Apple last. I love apple;, just not faintly in my water.
3. I have no idea. Probably plums. Not pickles.'
4. No thanks. Ok, I suppose I will take three of Elvis's and sell them.
5. b. the cheapest. It is just transportation. Do I even need a car? But I seriously doubt you will find me in Florida. I won't spend a dime in Florida.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:03 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:47 am
pdub wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:24 am It would not be the pickle ( historical origins ) as people started cultivating peppers well before the pickling process was discovered. I don't know about the pepper vs the plum though -- I figure a pepper ( any pepper mind you ) would be more apt to grow naturally in more areas and earlier than a plum so that's why I guessed it.
same general thought process

plums (i assume) have a much more limited natural distribution, while peppers grow naturally in the Americas, Africa, and Asia (at least). that hints at a history dating back to super continents…hundreds of millions of years
Pretty sure peppers are native to the Americas. My friends in Peru claim they were first grown there.
gutter needs to clarify

domestic plums go back 2-6K years, while the evolutionary history of the plum lineage is estimated at 40M years

domesticated chili peppers are also thought to be ~6K years old, and yes 99, from the Americas (Ecuador). the evolutionary origins of the nightshade family, to which both chili peppers and tomatos belong, is estimated to be by at least 50M years old

chili peppers seemed to have taken over the world after columbus, making it to Africa and Asia in the 1500s
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I think it may have been a trick question, and pickles was first in the list.
Akin to: when the geese fly south in a V formation, why is one side of the V always longer than the other side?
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

DrPepper wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 5:49 pm I think it may have been a trick question, and pickles was first in the list.
Akin to: when the geese fly south in a V formation, why is one side of the V always longer than the other side?
2 party goose system?
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

#3. Is an idiotic question. I asked it because my original #3 that I deleted was even more idiotic - and I was in a hurry to leave for work.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:31 pm #3. Is an idiotic question. I asked it because my original #3 that I deleted was even more idiotic - and I was in a hurry to leave for work.
i disagree

i rather enjoyed educating myself (even though i was wrong)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 5:17 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:03 am
KUTradition wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:47 am
same general thought process

plums (i assume) have a much more limited natural distribution, while peppers grow naturally in the Americas, Africa, and Asia (at least). that hints at a history dating back to super continents…hundreds of millions of years
Pretty sure peppers are native to the Americas. My friends in Peru claim they were first grown there.
gutter needs to clarify

domestic plums go back 2-6K years, while the evolutionary history of the plum lineage is estimated at 40M years

domesticated chili peppers are also thought to be ~6K years old, and yes 99, from the Americas (Ecuador). the evolutionary origins of the nightshade family, to which both chili peppers and tomatos belong, is estimated to be by at least 50M years old

chili peppers seemed to have taken over the world after columbus, making it to Africa and Asia in the 1500s
This! is why I continue to come here.
Just Ledoux it
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Overlander wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:00 pm
DrPepper wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 5:49 pm I think it may have been a trick question, and pickles was first in the list.
2 party goose system?
There are more geese on the longer side.
shindig

Post by shindig »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

DrPepper wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 8:27 am
Overlander wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:00 pm
2 party goose system?
There are more geese on the longer side.
Is that true? Or are there less and they just spread out more?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.