Gutter's 4 Somewhat Quick and 1 Not So Quick Questions for National Be Late For Something Day 9/5/24

Coffee talk.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Gutter's 4 Somewhat Quick and 1 Not So Quick Questions for National Be Late For Something Day 9/5/24

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

1. Are you typically early, late, or on time, for most things?

2. Duke plays Northwestern at 8:00pm (central time) on FS1 on Friday.
Texas plays Michigan at 11:00am (central time) on Fox on Saturday.
Fill in the blank.
The Texas/Michigan game will have ____ X more viewers than the Duke/Northwestern game.

3. Just like MLK, I had a dream - last night/this morning. Except, my dream was much different.
It involved an obscure person who I have not seen for many years, and this person was someone I never dated nor considered dating. She was divorced in the dream and wanted to date me. Unfortunate problem is, it was a dream, and she is not divorced right now. If I were to take away a message from the dream, which of the following choices would you choose for me? You can chose multiple choices or just one.
a. Reach out to her and just say hello and that I am/was thinking about her.
b. Forget about it.
c. Kill her husband and kidnap her and go from there.
d. It's a message. I should reach out to someone from my past and ask her out on a date.
e. Pick a booger out of my nose and eat it.
f. Talk to my therapist about it next Thursday.
g. Don't go to sleep tonight so I won't have another dream to ask a question about on here tomorrow.

4. You are assigned to rename Lawrence Kansas. What do you rename it?

5. Tomorrow I have to attend a funeral for a man who died 10 days before his 100th Birthday. Jewish people bury (or cremate - very rarely) the dead quickly. Supposed to be within 24 hours, or asap, but it's typically within a couple/few days.
If this person was one of your loved ones, would you wait the 10 days and then have a funeral/100th birthday celebration party at the same time?
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
Back2Lawrence

Re: Gutter's 4 Somewhat Quick and 1 Not So Quick Questions for National Be Late For Something Day 9/5/24

Post by Back2Lawrence »

1. early (also, first)
2. 69
3. g
4. Gutterville
5. Riunite On Ice
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Gutter's 4 Somewhat Quick and 1 Not So Quick Questions for National Be Late For Something Day 9/5/24

Post by pdub »

1. Early for everything but parties. Then late.
2. No idea. 3?
3. h. Go back to sleep and break up with her
4. Phoenicia
5. I don't think that aspect would matter to me
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

1. Early
2. 20
3. Forget about it
4. Jayhawkland
5. No
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

1) Early
2) A shitload
3) B
4) Larryville
5) No
Broham
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:39 am 1. Early for everything but parties. Then late.
i'm never invited. sad panda.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

1. Early
2. 3.67M more viewers
3. This is a subconscious wish. Find someone like her to complete the year of Gutter watching the Bears in the SB.
4. Oread
5. Play "a hundred years from today" by Jack Teagarden at the funeral as scheduled
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

1. Early
2. 11.75
3. I suppose if I say b then saying d and f are a contradiction but I'm going with b, d, f.
4. OZ (both letters capitalized)
5. WTF? I'l go with - sure. Why not? Maybe stick a candle in his/her ass, light it, and sing happy birthday too? :shock:
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

1. Earlier in life, I was always on time no matter what. Now, I am much more selective of what requires or expects timeliness vs is a suggested guideline vs I just don't care.
2. I don't care.
3. b. chalk it up to random bursts of neural activity that your brain adds a narrative too this time. Sometimes dreams mean something, but this one sounds too random.
4. Lawrence, Kansas. It is a fine name. And renaming stuff is really messy. The story on this one is good.
Lawrence, Kansas, was named after Amos A. Lawrence, a prominent abolitionist and businessman from Massachusetts. Lawrence was a significant financial supporter of the New England Emigrant Aid Company, which helped fund the settlement of anti-slavery settlers in Kansas during the 1850s. The town of Lawrence was founded in 1854 by members of this company, and they chose to name the city in honor of Lawrence for his contributions to the Free State cause during the tumultuous period leading up to the Civil War. The city's founding was part of the broader conflict over whether Kansas would enter the Union as a free or slave state, a key issue in the larger debate over slavery in the United States.
5. If there was already a gathering planned for the 100th, such as out-of-town guests, I would still hold a celebration of life then, as planned. But I would also respect religious tradition if it is important to the immediate family. I would be happy if people attended one or the other, and did not feel obligated to attend both. Sorry for your loss.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

DrPepper wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:19 am 1. Earlier in life, I was always on time no matter what. Now, I am much more selective of what requires or expects timeliness vs is a suggested guideline vs I just don't care.
2. I don't care.
3. b. chalk it up to random bursts of neural activity that your brain adds a narrative too this time. Sometimes dreams mean something, but this one sounds too random.
4. Lawrence, Kansas. It is a fine name. And renaming stuff is really messy. The story on this one is good.
Lawrence, Kansas, was named after Amos A. Lawrence, a prominent abolitionist and businessman from Massachusetts. Lawrence was a significant financial supporter of the New England Emigrant Aid Company, which helped fund the settlement of anti-slavery settlers in Kansas during the 1850s. The town of Lawrence was founded in 1854 by members of this company, and they chose to name the city in honor of Lawrence for his contributions to the Free State cause during the tumultuous period leading up to the Civil War. The city's founding was part of the broader conflict over whether Kansas would enter the Union as a free or slave state, a key issue in the larger debate over slavery in the United States.
5. If there was already a gathering planned for the 100th, such as out-of-town guests, I would still hold a celebration of life then, as planned. But I would also respect religious tradition if it is important to the immediate family. I would be happy if people attended one or the other, and did not feel obligated to attend both. Sorry for your loss.
My favorite part about the street names in Lawrence is that they were originally going to be in order of chronological admission to the union. This holds in East Lawrence, and then for a while in West Lawrence where the chronology gets back on track.

The curious point, in EAST Lawrence is the absence of Southern states. So, for a history with a long history of acceptance and tolerance, cancel culture has been a part of things for the duration of it's history.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Missouri street, in Lawrence, should be abolished.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

pdub wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:34 am Missouri street, in Lawrence, should be abolished.
If we're renaming stuff, I vote we rename this to Fambrough.
Broham
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:32 am My favorite part about the street names in Lawrence is that they were originally going to be in order of chronological admission to the union. This holds in East Lawrence, and then for a while in West Lawrence where the chronology gets back on track.

The curious point, in EAST Lawrence is the absence of Southern states. So, for a history with a long history of acceptance and tolerance, cancel culture has been a part of things for the duration of it's history.
"tolerance" is an interesting choice of words. I like to think that we do not tolerate slavers. And my definition of 'cancel culture' is something like public shaming of a company or pop star to hold them accountable. It is not something you do to your neighbor or mother. So I do not personally see anything wrong with cancel culture... it's not like I was going to be able to have a heart-to-heart with a pop star or Winston-Salem. If a co-worker says 'cancelled' to me, it is to alert me to the fact that I used a demeaning word so that I can self-correct. I appreciate it.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

DrPepper wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:48 am
Back2Lawrence wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:32 am My favorite part about the street names in Lawrence is that they were originally going to be in order of chronological admission to the union. This holds in East Lawrence, and then for a while in West Lawrence where the chronology gets back on track.

"tolerance" is an interesting choice of words. I like to think that we do not tolerate slavers. And my definition of 'cancel culture' is something like public shaming of a company or pop star to hold them accountable. It is not something you do to your neighbor or mother. So I do not personally see anything wrong with cancel culture... it's not like I was going to be able to have a heart-to-heart with a pop star or Winston-Salem. If a co-worker says 'cancelled' to me, it is to alert me to the fact that I used a demeaning word so that I can self-correct. I appreciate it.
My problem with the 'don't tolerate slavers' logic is that's defining them by only one trait. Sure, it's huge, and shouldn't be ignored, but to not acknowledge their existence through absence is not correct, IMO.

Tolerance, here, isn't accepting slavery. Again, it's acknowledging that slavery isn't the ONLY defining element of such things (here states pre-abolition).

And as far as cancel culture goes, I don't disagree in principle with how you stated it. In practice, however, it's the application of group-think, and often implemented without sufficient proof or thoughtfulness to the topic (opinion) at hand.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Also, for the record, I highly dislike the culture (that I have known) of the South. I'd do everything in my power to not ever live there, if I was facing such a thing. I spent three years in Louisiana, and three years in Virginia (just south of Quantico, which at the time was the southern edge of the DC metro).

Besides the food being good, and many of the females being more attractive (seemingly) on average than other places I've lived, y'all can keep it.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

1.) I am always early, probably because tardiness was framed as a character flaw in my family growing up. I have very little patience with it in others, although my wife's extraordinarily laid-back approach to being on time has forced me to loosen up considerably in the last three or four years.
2.) A lot.
3.) Freud wrote that much of dream imager is wish fulfillment. Take it as a sign that you are lonely and that risking reaching out to women you are interested in is the best way to deal with it.
4.) Naismith
5.) The numbers are insignificant to me. What is much more important is celebrating the man's life and its impact on those gathered in his honor.
Imagine a life so devoid of accomplishments that you feel the need to lie about working at McDonald’s.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Slavers are known for being otherwise good people between selling off families they raped and flogging uncooperative hands.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Sparko wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:22 pm Slavers are known for being otherwise good people between selling off families they raped and flogging uncooperative hands.
Curious to know how many here are aware that one of the original state constitutions (The Topeka Constitution), in 1855, whose construction was presided over by a Lawrence resident, Jim Lane, did indeed want slavery to be outlawed in the state.

This convention, known as the Free-State convention, led by the Free State party (yep, that’s the origin of the term), contained a clause, which, in fairness, Lane did not approve of, but did allow to go to vote later. This was definitively an act of tolerance.

The clause, which I mention, was to prohibit ANY African-Americans, both free and enslaved to LIVE in the state. This passed 3-1 when put to vote.

The history of the slavery question (answer) in Kansas is not as clean as many think.

You can look this up, it’s one of my all-time favorite (I’m horrified by) facts about this state.

The history of racial based hatred in Western Kansas (especially Hays) is an incredible discovery of (not old) history.

Another great read is how Topeka became one of the centers of the ‘start’ of the civil rights movement with Brown v BOE.