COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by jhawks99 »

My friend, Old Tom (RIP Tom, you were the best) used to have a phase (well, he had a lot of them but one pertains here). Unencumbered with the facts, I feel compelled to speak at great length on the subject.

If you're cholesterol is good, it probably won't be a big deal. But you should probably take your doc's advise over some moran on the internet.
Broham
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:31 am Did anyone take Paxlovid for Covid?
Had a video call with my doc yesterday. Pros and cons to my taking it. One con is I would have to go off my cholesterol med for 8 days but he claims it wouldn't be a big deal (especially being that I just had my cholesterol checked and it was outstanding). At the end of conversation it was decided if I feel worse this morning I should probably start taking it. I do feel a little worse this morning but not a lot worse. Seems like I may be damned if I do take it and/or damned if I don't. I don't know what to do.
have you checked in with our resident medical experts?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:52 am
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:31 am Did anyone take Paxlovid for Covid?
Had a video call with my doc yesterday. Pros and cons to my taking it. One con is I would have to go off my cholesterol med for 8 days but he claims it wouldn't be a big deal (especially being that I just had my cholesterol checked and it was outstanding). At the end of conversation it was decided if I feel worse this morning I should probably start taking it. I do feel a little worse this morning but not a lot worse. Seems like I may be damned if I do take it and/or damned if I don't. I don't know what to do.
That's what I was attempting to do. Wait, do you mean people such as Shirley or people such as randy?
I turned on and shoved a flashlight up my ass this morning and took a syringe and injected myself with a mixture of Lysol and bleach. I'm feeling better already!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:46 am My friend, Old Tom (RIP Tom, you were the best) used to have a phase (well, he had a lot of them but one pertains here). Unencumbered with the facts, I feel compelled to speak at great length on the subject.

If you're cholesterol is good, it probably won't be a big deal. But you should probably take your doc's advise over some moran on the internet.
Yes, I am taking my doc's advice. That's kind of my problem. He was 50/50. If he was adamant I take it, I would not hesitate at all. I have a few risk factors that make me a candidate to take it (such as minor "heart disease" and I haven't been boosted since late 2022) but nothing that stands out to the point that he feels I "have" to take it.
I just wanted to know if anyone had particularly good or bad experiences with it.
P.S. We are all morans on the inter-webs.
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Get well soon, Gutter.
Broham
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:05 am Get well soon, Gutter.
Thank you!
My hope is God and Jesus are busy dealing with other shit because relatively speaking, I'm ok.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Still feel not too good. I would say the same as I felt Wednesday.
Is it bad that I am going to go to Walgreens and buy some shit that I need - if I wear a mask in the elevator and in the store?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Probably.
Broham
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:12 am
That's what I was attempting to do. Wait, do you mean people such as Shirley or people such as randy?
I turned on and shoved a flashlight up my ass this morning and took a syringe and injected myself with a mixture of Lysol and bleach. I'm feeling better already!
Sorry Gutter, I only just discovered this.

I agree with 99 and your doctor, having to stop your cholesterol med, (and especially since it was recently well-controlled), wouldn't be a reason not to take Paxlovid. Cholesterol levels go up and down and respond to medications relatively slowly. As far as the benefits and risks of taking Paxlovid, without knowing much about your medical history it would be inappropriate for me to comment on that, but in general I agree with your physician in that if you weren't that sick with Covid, the benefits might be minimal*. It's also been 5 days now, so if you haven't already started it...

Hope you're lots better soon!

*I say that not knowing whether taking Paxlovid decreases your risk of developing "long Covid", or not.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Shirley wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2024 12:28 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2024 8:12 am
Sorry Gutter, I only just discovered this.

I agree with 99 and your doctor, having to stop your cholesterol med, (and especially since it was recently well-controlled), wouldn't be a reason not to take Paxlovid. Cholesterol levels go up and down and respond to medications relatively slowly. As far as the benefits and risks of taking Paxlovid, without knowing much about your medical history it would be inappropriate for me to comment on that, but in general I agree with your physician in that if you weren't that sick with Covid, the benefits might be minimal*. It's also been 5 days now, so if you haven't already started it...

Hope you're lots better soon!

*I say that not knowing whether taking Paxlovid decreases your risk of developing "long Covid", or not.
Thanks for the response!
Coincidently, my mensch doctor called me last night (as the sun was setting) and asked me how I was feeling. He said he was glad to hear I didn't take the Paxlovid and was hoping that would be the choice I made - unless I was feeling considerably worse.
Unfortunately I feel no better today than I did on Wednesday and if anything, my throat is more sore, but as I said to GQ, I wouldn't say Covid has kicked my ass - but it has taken its toll.
Absolutely beautiful late summer day in Chicago. I took a short walk. Frustrated I don't have the energy and am too "sick" to be out and about. Oh well, my day will consist of watching shitty football games and losing money betting on horses. Could always be worse.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Glad you're not (much) worse Gutter. Glad you were able to get out and enjoy some fresh air.

Props to your physician for taking the time to call and check on you, especially on a Friday night.
Derek Cressman
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

I would LOVE to eat a burger or pizza - and be able to taste it.
I just put some "buffalo style" chicken "bites" in the oven. Might as well have put a shoe in there.
Most things I eat have no taste - or very little taste. JUNK!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:54 pm I would LOVE to eat a burger or pizza - and be able to taste it.
I just put some "buffalo style" chicken "bites" in the oven. Might as well have put a shoe in there.
That's too bad Gutter, the inability to taste degrades your quality of life significantly. Thankfully, it will very likely pass. How do you feel?
Derek Cressman
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Shirley wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 6:33 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2024 5:54 pm I would LOVE to eat a burger or pizza - and be able to taste it.
That's too bad Gutter, the inability to taste degrades your quality of life significantly. Thankfully, it will very likely pass. How do you feel?
I'm putting it in perspective. Just unfortunate being that I promised myself I was going to reward myself for getting excellent cholesterol results on my blood work - and eat a good steak dinner and/or eat some good pizza and/or a good burger this past week. It's ok, it will just have to wait.
Thing I am must bummed about is my Uncle is coming in town and I won't be able to see him.
That and then in a couple of weeks when I am back to normal, I will be busy with the Jew holidays - which I abhor for various reasons.
To answer your question - Thankfully I don't feel shitty. I think I might be slightly better today but still far from good. My hope is by mid week I will be close to "normal". I'm missing an important work function that I am upset about. Oh well, no choice but to get over it.
Thank you for asking!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

That has to suck. I hope you're back to normal soon.
Broham