Chiefs 2024

Kansas Football.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Chiefs 2024

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:15 pm Now let's do Mahomes!
Worst combined first 3 games to start a season of his career?
What excuse/s do you guys have for him?
Age? Taylor Swift? Lazy? Lost competitive fire? Didn't go to Missouri? His wife is sleeping with his undrafted RB?

Not all explanations are excuses.

I don't know how to explain Pat's start, except that (1) for whatever it's worth, his TD/INT since Bienemy left (LOTS of confounding factors here) is like 30/18, (2) the pass protection has been iffy, (3) the readiest addition to the WR room hasn't played and the next-readiest clearly doesn't (yet?) have chemistry with Pat and (4) for whatever reason, Kelce hasn't (yet?) shredded the middle of the field as he's historically done.

I, personally, would look to those sorts of things MUCH more quickly than I'd look to anything off the field.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:24 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:15 pm Now let's do Mahomes!
Worst combined first 3 games to start a season of his career?
What excuse/s do you guys have for him?
Age? Taylor Swift? Lazy? Lost competitive fire? Didn't go to Missouri? His wife is sleeping with his undrafted RB?

Not all explanations are excuses.

I don't know how to explain Pat's start, except that (1) for whatever it's worth, his TD/INT since Bienemy left (LOTS of confounding factors here) is like 30/18, (2) the pass protection has been iffy, (3) the readiest addition to the WR room hasn't played and the next-readiest clearly doesn't (yet?) have chemistry with Pat and (4) for whatever reason, Kelce hasn't (yet?) shredded the middle of the field as he's historically done.

I, personally, would look to those sorts of things MUCH more quickly than I'd look to anything off the field.
All are valid explanations/excuses.
I am not making explanations/excuses for Kelce yet.

Mahomes says.....“I mean it’s crazy because teams still… the respect factor they have for Travis is just unreal,” Mahomes said, via Sports Illustrated. “It’s well-deserved but we’re calling a lot of plays for Travis and it’s like two or three people are going to him. He understands. I think that’s the great thing about him is he wants to make an impact in the game but he wants to win at the end of the day. I’m going to try to do my best to keep feeding him the ball whenever he’s there, whenever he’s open.“
“I think the more Rashee makes plays, the more we’re able to run the football, the more we can get (Xavier) Worthy involved, I think that’s going to open Travis up more,” Mahomes said. “People are really emphasizing trying to take him away, and it’s getting other guys open.”

Reid says.....“[Other teams] have some things that they were attempting there,” Reid said, via Arrowhead Pride. “He’ll get his catches. It’s not that he’s slowing down or any of that bit; that’s not what the deal is.”
“It’s just [that] teams focus on him — and kind of know he’s been Pat’s go-to guy,” Reid said. “What it’s done, though, is it’s allowed us to utilize the other guys around them — and they’ve been productive.”

Nagy says....
“Travis has been really good,” Nagy said. “I know: you look at the targets. You look at the numbers. You look at all that stuff with Travis. He knows who he is, We know who he is. When you have that, it’s important to know that — and it’s just a matter of time.”

Kelce says....
“If you want to catch the football, (1) it has to be the right play, (2) it has to be the right coverage, and (3) it has to be everybody doing their job up front and on the back end in terms of running their routes. … For whatever reason, for these past two games, it hasn’t gone that way for me. That’s football,” Kelce said.
randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 pm
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The pass pro was good last night though I don't think the Falcons generate a lot of pressure normally ( even with Judon added to their lineup ).

I think it's possible that Andy and co, knowing how much their defense has improved, also has gone more conservative, knowing that he can control the game with Mahomes and the clock.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

And I’m open to those (gutter-sourced) explanations being, to some degree, full of shit. The MOST likely explanation for what we’re seeing is that whatever incremental degradation there has been, physically, has been the difference between “very good and arguably still elite” and “average at best.”

Aging is a bitch like that, and he’s got a lot of miles (and they’re city miles, so to speak).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:43 pm The pass pro was good last night though I don't think the Falcons generate a lot of pressure normally ( even with Judon added to their lineup ).

I think it's possible that Andy and co, knowing how much their defense has improved, also has gone more conservative, knowing that he can control the game with Mahomes and the clock.
I think there is a lot of truth to that. ESPECIALLY seeing as how this week was (in contrast to last week) an ass-kicking disguised as a close game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think it was a planned ass kicking that all of a sudden got away from Andy ( two horseshit penalties on the last drive sure contributed to that )*.

We need to amp up the gas just a touch more so we aren't put in situations where, while Mahomes can and will do his magic, we need minor miracles to tie/win.

*but, but the DPI not called.
Well sure, but Atlanta scores there and there's just under 4 minutes on the clock, and the Chiefs are either down 1 or 3. That's kind of OK Chiefs win territory there...but instead Atlanta marched back down with the penalties and got it where we'd only have a minute with no timeouts...that's tougher, but not unheard of.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 1:55 pm I think it was a planned ass kicking that all of a sudden got away from Andy ( two horseshit penalties on the last drive sure contributed to that )*.

We need to amp up the gas just a touch more so we aren't put in situations where, while Mahomes can and will do his magic, we need minor miracles to tie/win.

*but, but the DPI not called.
Well sure, but Atlanta scores there and there's just under 4 minutes on the clock, and the Chiefs are either down 1 or 3. That's kind of OK Chiefs win territory there...but instead Atlanta marched back down with the penalties and got it where we'd only have a minute with no timeouts...that's tougher, but not unheard of.
I could not agree more.

(Bigger thought - one of the genuine joys over the last couple years has been watching non-KU Chiefs fans struggle to come to grips with a fandom that sure looks a lot like everything they criticize about KU basketball fandom. Specifically, the “entitlement” and jadedness over small-potatoes things like division championships. And where this ties into the topic here is that the “step on the throats, you idiots” feeling is something we here all know from a hell of a lot of experience cheering on the favorite.)
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Hard to believe the Bengals may actually suck. I really like Burrow.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There are players I dislike more but the dancing and smoking a cigar at Arrowhead didn’t sit right. I know it’s perfectly normal to celebrate but that exuded douche vibes.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

DeletedUser wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 8:25 pm Hard to believe the Bengals may actually suck. I really like Burrow.
I used them in a 6 team parlay this week - and of course they were my 1 loss.
Fuck the Bengals.
As far as Burrow, if the Bears have an O-Line and a halfway decent OC, I would happily take him on the Bears over another talented Black QB in the next 2 or 3 seasons that the Bears select in 1st round of the draft and can't/won't develop.
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 5:22 am There are players I dislike more but the dancing and smoking a cigar at Arrowhead didn’t sit right. I know it’s perfectly normal to celebrate but that exuded douche vibes.
I found Brady's visit to the home locker room to be douchier.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

DeletedUser wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 6:53 am
He looks about the same physically to me. He never was lightening fast. His specialty has always been finding a way to get open and yds. after the catch. Teams are game-planning to limit those. BTW, he's been wide open a few times and Patrick hasn't seen him.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Chargers safety Derwin James was suspended one game for illegal hits. He has been a nightmare matchup for Kelce so maybe him being out this week vs. the Chiefs will help Kelce get up and running.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/414 ... 1-game-nfl
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

pdub wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 5:22 am There are players I dislike more but the dancing and smoking a cigar at Arrowhead didn’t sit right. I know it’s perfectly normal to celebrate but that exuded douche vibes.
It was for sure Douchey. He did same thing while at LSU, and most people laughed at hooted.'

As a comparison: TO putting ball on Cowboy's helmet, absolutely douche-like and out of line. I hate the Cowboys terrificly, and it still didn't sit right with me when he did that.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Back2Lawrence wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 5:12 pm
It was for sure Douchey. He did same thing while at LSU, and most people laughed at hooted.'

As a comparison: TO putting ball on Cowboy's helmet, absolutely douche-like and out of line. I hate the Cowboys terrificly, and it still didn't sit right with me when he did that.
It was douchey because..... you guys think and said it was? Ok, I don't have a problem with that. I actually feel it was somewhat (to a very minor degree - but still "somewhat") douchey.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions and feelings. But.....
GQ - Your comparison kind of sucks. One thing was a complete dick move done 100% out of disrespect and purposely done in front of fans to piss them off and disrespect them too.

This may help enlighten people a little bit regarding Burrow and the cigar/s.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2022/02/11/benga ... aily-cover
Last edited by RainbowsandUnicorns on Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Back to Kelce. If he stays healthy, the dude is going to have some good games this season - and the dude is going to have some more not so good games. As long as the Chiefs keep winning, I really don't care one way or the other. People love to make assumptions and come up with excuses. Some may be 100% spot on. Some may be 100% wrong. The funny thing to me is if Kelce announces he got engaged to Swift or broke up Swift, and then has a monster game, or a horse shit game, people will use her as an excuse.
Yes, his focusing on her and possibly/probably less on the Chiefs this offseason MAY have had a bearing on his first 3 games of the season. It also MAY not have. Right?
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Gutter- that’s exactly what I said. lol.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

What’s confounding the analysis here is that even a complete cliff dive would not, given his age and miles alone, be super-surprising.