Another mass shooting

Ugh.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Another mass shooting

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:39 am demonrats have been in the white house 12 of the last 16 years. yet they blame every ill in the whole wide world on everyone else. they will take responsibility for nothing.
This ignores how laws are passed in this country.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

if guns are important to me. and the demonrats are powerless. why would i vote for them.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:10 am if guns are important to me. and the demonrats are powerless. why would i vote for them.
To put them in a position to have power?

Or, even failing that, to ensure at least that the party that thinks we solve school shootings with more guns and spending taxpayer money on fortress-schools (to say nothing of how that party thinks about "mental health concerns") is not in a position of maximal power to make things worse?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 10:39 am demonrats have been in the white house 12 of the last 16 years. yet they blame every ill in the whole wide world on everyone else. they will take responsibility for nothing.
Because we aren't stupid enough to forget that laws get made in Congress and we see that Republican Congressional leaders have made it their stated intention to obstruct all Dem-led efforts to make meaningful changes.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

then i guess there is no reason to vote demonrat. if they aren't powerful enough to make meaningful change.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i would like my vote to go towards meaningful change. not powerless excuse makers.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I think I lost 10 IQ points reading this thread
Broham
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:39 am i would like my vote to go towards meaningful change. not powerless excuse makers.
Your choices are Trump and Harris. And your vote matters more than most others’ here.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i have 1 vote. you have 1 vote.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 11:39 am i would like my vote to go towards meaningful change. not powerless excuse makers.
Then don't vote for GOP Congressional candidates. The recent GOP-led Congresses have been the least effective at passing meaningful legislation in generations.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 2:05 pm i have 1 vote. you have 1 vote.
Your state will be decided by fewer people than go to one Michigan Wolverines football game. My state will be decided by something like the number of people who go to an entire regular season of Chiefs football.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Wouldn't it be nice if all of our votes counted that equally? Abolish the Electoral College.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Further evidence that democracy isn’t perfect
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

twocoach wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 2:11 pm
Wouldn't it be nice if all of our votes counted that equally? Abolish the Electoral College.
YES
randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 pm
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 2:09 pm
Your state will be decided by fewer people than go to one Michigan Wolverines football game. My state will be decided by something like the number of people who go to an entire regular season of Chiefs football.
Right. Probably.
But....
If what you say is true, it's also true that HIS single vote doesn't matter any more than your single vote. His one vote won't make the difference in who is elected in Michigan - just as your one vote won't make the difference in who is elected in the state you will be voting in.

Speaking of votes and another mass shooting. Fuck Brandon Johnson! Leave it to him to veto what the Alderpersons voted on to try and keep their neighborhoods safer and help gunshot victims.

https://abc7chicago.com/post/chicago-ci ... /15319144/
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 6:28 am
Right. Probably.
But....
If what you say is true, it's also true that HIS single vote doesn't matter any more than your single vote. His one vote won't make the difference in who is elected in Michigan - just as your one vote won't make the difference in who is elected in the state you will be voting in.
And what if my estimates are, say, 100,000 off? Or or even just 90,000? Margins matter a lot, for purposes of the inevitable bad-faith litigation. And one mall’s worth of MICH’s could really matter.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

jfish26 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 6:43 am

Right. Probably.
But....
And what if my estimates are, say, 100,000 off? Or or even just 90,000? Margins matter a lot, for purposes of the inevitable bad-faith litigation. And one mall’s worth of MICH’s could really matter.
Can you imagine....?????
If Michigan is decided by one vote, and Michigan is the deciding state in who gets elected, the entire country (and world) could get to blame/praise MICH for his vote.

I think most of us are in agreement that the "swing states" shouldn't have any more bearing on outcome of the election than all of the other states - so what is it going to take for the "electoral college" to be eliminated?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 6:58 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 6:43 am

Right. Probably.
But....
Can you imagine....?????
If Michigan is decided by one vote, and Michigan is the deciding state in who gets elected, the entire country (and world) could get to blame/praise MICH for his vote.

I think most of us are in agreement that the "swing states" shouldn't have any more bearing on outcome of the election than all of the other states - so what is it going to take for the "electoral college" to be eliminated?
The fracturing and dissolution of the right as a unified front for minority rule?

(To be clear - a great deal of bad would come from this, also, and I think my personal preference anyway would be for the Electoral College to remain in place, and to be how we decide an election where the popular vote is within a stated margin.)