Ugh.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: 2024

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 2:19 pm Can you indict reality for election interference? Asking for an orange friend.

i wonder who was president during that last uptick?
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:10 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:23 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:59 am

The best part is the open cowardice of it - I’ll only put this up to a vote if I know it’ll pass. While of course that is how things commonly go, you don’t often see someone just say it out loud.

These people are SO afraid of exposing anything to the actual will of the people.
Jim Pillen is a racist little piece of shit. I could go on and on about all the shady shit he has done but I have a million meetings this morning.

Frankly, if they don't outright get rid of the Electoral College, I wouldn't mind seeing every state do it the way Maine and Nebraska do it and split out votes by Congressional District.
https://nebraskaexaminer.com/2024/09/18 ... ham-trump/
LINCOLN — The Republican push to change how Nebraska awards its Electoral College votes and boost former President Donald Trump ran into political reality Monday as a key lawmaker, State Sen. Mike McDonnell, announced he won’t support the change.

McDonnell, of Omaha, said he had heard from people passionate about the issue who live in the Omaha-based 2nd Congressional District. But he said he did not hear enough to move him off his original position against the switch.

“Elections should be an opportunity for all voters to be heard, no matter who they are, where they live, or what party they support,” McDonnell said in a statement. “I have taken time to listen carefully to Nebraskans and national leaders on both sides of the issue. After deep consideration, it is clear to me that right now, 43 days from Election Day, is not the moment to make this change.”

McDonnell said he told Gov. Jim Pillen his stance and suggested that the Legislature put winner-take-all to a vote of the people, as a proposed constitutional amendment, so people can decide the issue “once and for all.”…
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

A Republican, it’s worth noting.

If we make it through all this, I’m thinking libraries and elementary schools are the right level of recognition for the *actual* Republican patriots who, when presented with a choice between country and party, chose country.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Trump announced yesterday that he would lift sanction against Russia and Iran if he wins the election. You know, " to protect the American dollar".
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 7:28 am Trump announced yesterday that he would lift sanction against Russia and Iran if he wins the election. You know, " to protect the American dollar".
Constantly making common cause with strongmen who rule over oppressed and impoverished subjects, and over economies without a middle class, but it’s the joyful lady and the fun uncle who are going to turn us into a third world shithole.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

but, but, but…putin endorsed Harris!!!

:lol:
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The Constitution applies conditionally now.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:20 pm The Constitution applies conditionally now.

Well, at least they're consistent as that matches their conditional following of the Bible, too. "If I personally benefit or the people I don't like suffer then it shall be followed. If I am personally negatively affected or the people I don't like are benefitted then we no longer have to follow it."
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2024 5:47 pm
KUTradition wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:10 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:23 am
Jim Pillen is a racist little piece of shit. I could go on and on about all the shady shit he has done but I have a million meetings this morning.

Frankly, if they don't outright get rid of the Electoral College, I wouldn't mind seeing every state do it the way Maine and Nebraska do it and split out votes by Congressional District.
https://nebraskaexaminer.com/2024/09/18 ... ham-trump/
LINCOLN — The Republican push to change how Nebraska awards its Electoral College votes and boost former President Donald Trump ran into political reality Monday as a key lawmaker, State Sen. Mike McDonnell, announced he won’t support the change.

McDonnell, of Omaha, said he had heard from people passionate about the issue who live in the Omaha-based 2nd Congressional District. But he said he did not hear enough to move him off his original position against the switch.

“Elections should be an opportunity for all voters to be heard, no matter who they are, where they live, or what party they support,” McDonnell said in a statement. “I have taken time to listen carefully to Nebraskans and national leaders on both sides of the issue. After deep consideration, it is clear to me that right now, 43 days from Election Day, is not the moment to make this change.”

McDonnell said he told Gov. Jim Pillen his stance and suggested that the Legislature put winner-take-all to a vote of the people, as a proposed constitutional amendment, so people can decide the issue “once and for all.”…
https://www.cnn.com/2024/09/24/politics ... index.html

Sounds like that was enough that Nebraska Gov. Pillen has abandoned his efforts on this:

“Unfortunately, we could not persuade 33 state senators. Senator Mike McDonnell of Omaha has confirmed he is unwilling to vote for winner-take-all before the 2024 election. That is profoundly disappointing to me and the many others who have worked so earnestly to ensure all Nebraskans’ votes are sought after equally this election. Based on the lack of 33 votes, I have no plans to call a special session on this issue prior to the 2024 election. I am grateful to the many Nebraskans who made their voices heard during this process.”
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I've said here before that if our country is to be saved, it'll have to be the women who do it.

Young women -- aged 18-29 -- are going HUGELY for Harris right now. And they could well hand the election to her

(i.e., There are just too many stupid men.)
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

fortunately the young people don’t vote.

They can go for her or him or whoever. they don’t vote.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 7:02 pm fortunately the young people don’t vote.

Not the dumbest thing you have posted.
Today, at least.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 12:20 pm The Constitution applies conditionally now.

Optional Constitution, selecting military leaders by ideological purity.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:42 am

So pretty much doing the things they are trying to scare the voting public into believing that the Dems are doing.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Overlander wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 7:41 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2024 7:02 pm fortunately the young people don’t vote.

Today, at least.
Agreed. Young people throwing a hissy fit about Bernie Sanders and choosing not to vote is why we ended up with Trump as our President in 2016. But all the data shows that Trump has angered young voters enough that their turnout has increased in every election since then. I fully expect that this will be the highest percentage of young voters in any Presidential election and I don't think that will end well for Trump.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:56 am

Today, at least.
Agreed. Young people throwing a hissy fit about Bernie Sanders and choosing not to vote is why we ended up with Trump as our President in 2016. But all the data shows that Trump has angered young voters enough that their turnout has increased in every election since then. I fully expect that this will be the highest percentage of young voters in any Presidential election and I don't think that will end well for Trump.
Yes.

https://www.npr.org/2024/09/24/nx-s1-51 ... youth-poll

It angers Trumpworld to no end that the Dems - against odds and everything we know about them - so smoothly and frictionlessly turned their biggest liability into a strength. And, specifically, that Harris is so obviously as strong of a candidate for this election as anyone could reasonably expect.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:53 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 7:42 am

So pretty much doing the things they are trying to scare the voting public into believing that the Dems are doing.
And, because it cannot be said enough, we HAVE to consider these sorts of things in the context of the blank check that would be handed to Trump.

There would be NO consequences to Trump for, say, ordering the military to take over San Diego, to conduct sweeps targeted at brown people and brown neighborhoods and brown sympathizers, under the guise (if any) of "border security." And firing general after general until he found one who, with a preemptive pardon and a fat foreign payment in hand, agrees to undertake things this grimly-but-hilariously illegal.

Republican legislators wouldn't convict him for 1/6, why would they here? So, no political consequences.

The Court has TOLD him that he can do whatever he wants so long as he declares "core power, core power." So, no legal consequences.

Blank check.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:03 am

Today, at least.
Yes.

It angers Trumpworld to no end that the Dems - against odds and everything we know about them - so smoothly and frictionlessly turned their biggest liability into a strength. And, specifically, that Harris is so obviously as strong of a candidate for this election as anyone could reasonably expect.
Voter turnout for the 2016 Presidential election for voters aged 18-29 was 39%
Voter turnout for the 2020 Presidential election for voters aged 18-29 was 50%

If voter turnout for the 2024 Presidential election for voters aged 18-29 approaches 55% or more then I predict that Trump is cooked.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:17 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:03 am

Yes.

Voter turnout for the 2016 Presidential election for voters aged 18-29 was 39%
Voter turnout for the 2020 Presidential election for voters aged 18-29 was 50%

If voter turnout for the 2024 Presidential election for voters aged 18-29 approaches 55% or more then I predict that Trump is cooked.
I suspect he already is; the fact that Trump only got 76.42% of the Republican primary vote tells me that, while there might not be many 2020 Trump voters who actually VOTE for Harris, there will be a hell of a lot of them who simply stay home.

And he can't afford to lose ANYONE.