Weather

Coffee talk.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Weather

Post by Sparko »

TDub wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2024 5:47 pm it's 101 again here.....this must stop I'm not built for this heat for this long
Repent!!
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sunny and 55 here
Broham
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:52 am Sunny and 55 here
smfh

90, "feels like 100", here.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

snow!!!

(up at Solitude, but still)
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I saw a lot of the West was getting snow this morning.
Meanwhile Maine has been hit with the longest and most pleasant Indian summer since i've been here.

Mid to upper 70s during the day and mid to upper 50s at night with lots of sun for what seems like the entire month of September.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

It's been upper 80s and humid here all month. Maters are loving it.
Broham
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:58 am It's been upper 80s and humid here all month. Maters are loving it.
Thought for a second there you had some outside lifestyle choices running wild.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2024 8:17 am snow!!!

(up at Solitude, but still)
Solitude, where lift tickets on a weekday were ~ $14.00/day* back ~ 1990, before the 2002 Olympics came to town and ruined everything.

*Alta was even cheaper, ~ $10/day during the week. And no lines...
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Pray for seahawk.
Derek Cressman
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Crap, I hope she gets to cover.
Broham
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

The Big Bend area faces up to 20 feet, the most serious storm surge threat. Up to 8 feet of surge could inundate Tampa, and threaten high water records in the area, while much of South Florida could get up to 5 feet. Water levels could soar to record heights in Tampa Bay and Clearwater on Thursday night, reaching 1 to 2 feet higher than the records Hurricane Idalia set last year. The threat has forced mandatory evacuations in at least 15 coastal Florida counties.
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:08 pm The Big Bend area faces up to 20 feet, the most serious storm surge threat. Up to 8 feet of surge could inundate Tampa, and threaten high water records in the area, while much of South Florida could get up to 5 feet. Water levels could soar to record heights in Tampa Bay and Clearwater on Thursday night, reaching 1 to 2 feet higher than the records Hurricane Idalia set last year. The threat has forced mandatory evacuations in at least 15 coastal Florida counties.
It's really hard to visualize a storm surge of 20'. Tallahassee, the capital of Florida, is right in Helene's path. They haven't had a hurricane hit there in greater than a century, apparently.

I'm ~ 30 miles south of Tampa Bay, close to the shore, and my house is at 11' above sea level.

That being said, thankfully, I don't really expect to have any problems with the storm surge, this time.
Derek Cressman
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Shirley wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:01 am
KUTradition wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 10:08 pm The Big Bend area faces up to 20 feet, the most serious storm surge threat. Up to 8 feet of surge could inundate Tampa, and threaten high water records in the area, while much of South Florida could get up to 5 feet. Water levels could soar to record heights in Tampa Bay and Clearwater on Thursday night, reaching 1 to 2 feet higher than the records Hurricane Idalia set last year. The threat has forced mandatory evacuations in at least 15 coastal Florida counties.
It's really hard to visualize a storm surge of 20'. Tallahassee, the capital of Florida, is right in Helene's path. They haven't had a hurricane hit there in greater than a century, apparently.

I'm ~ 30 miles south of Tampa Bay, close to the shore, and my house is at 11' above sea level.

That being said, thankfully, I don't really expect to have any problems with the storm surge, this time.
fingers crossed for you

i’ll never understand the people defying mandatory evacuation orders in such situations
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:06 am
Shirley wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 8:01 am

fingers crossed for you

i’ll never understand the people defying mandatory evacuation orders in such situations
Thanks.

People here seem to think that since they've lived near the shore for decades and rode all the previous storms out, why would they run from this storm now? There's a lot of denial and what seems to me a Florida-macho component, whatever that is...that it would be weak to leave.

Or, something.
Derek Cressman
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Stay safe.
Broham
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

hurricane in florida is not news. hurricane in michigan is news.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:01 am hurricane in florida is not news. hurricane in michigan is news.

You have a strange definition of news.

Speaking of definitions, my definition of cunt seems to suit you. Oh, in this instance, I’m applying my American definition.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 10:01 am hurricane in florida is not news. hurricane in michigan is news.
how about you just resist posting something stupid for one goddamn day?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Do you know the difference between major and minor surgery?

"Major surgery" is when I'm having surgery.

"Minor surgery" is when you're having surgery.
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 9:03 amStay safe.
Thanks.

This is nothing compared to what the people up in the bend and panhandle will be going through.

My electricity has flickered off but come back on a couple of times...fingers crossed. Unfortunately, my daughter's electricity has been off for a couple of hours. Helene is throwing tornados off and we've been under warnings off and on for a couple of hours, but, the wind hasn't been > 70 mph here, as far as I know.

I just heard a noise and went to investigate, and a tree I had to stake back up after hurricane Ian 2 years ago just bit the dust again, and in the failing light, it doesn't look salvageable, this time.
Derek Cressman