Ugh.
randylahey

Re: 2024

Post by randylahey »

One side wants verified elections requiring IDs. The other side is adamant to not require ID, and they also want illegals to be able to vote.

Gee I wonder why.

Also changing the rules in north Carolina so votes can be cast in any county makes it really easy to cheat or "harvest votes" when there is 50000 votes in a county with half that amount of registered voters. Makes it difficult validate legitimacy
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 10:32 am One side wants verified elections requiring IDs. The other side is adamant to not require ID, and they also want illegals to be able to vote.

Gee I wonder why.

Also changing the rules in north Carolina so votes can be cast in any county makes it really easy to cheat or "harvest votes" when there is 50000 votes in a county with half that amount of registered voters. Makes it difficult validate legitimacy
No one is calling for illegals to vote in federal elections. Stop lying. And you do know they have these things called voter rolls where they can track whether you have already voted, right? If the facility where you are supposed to vote has literally been wiped off the map, I don't think it is some giant controversy to allow you to vote in a different location so that your constitutional right to vote is still available to you.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:51 am Preparing to renew a passport for my youngest, and dealing with all of the paperwork that comes with having a second parent who won’t be at the application site (and who has a different legal name than what’s on the kiddo’s birth certificate).

This process is exactly why voter ID laws are suppressive - governmental agencies can make both the paperwork and the process as byzantine and impossible as they’d like. It’s a pain in the ass for MY family, and we have a fairly normal profile (to say nothing of having official records on hand, English as a native language, access to a printer/scanner/copier and job flexibility that lets me do this during post office hours).
And people in lower income brackets tend to change addresses more frequently than those in higher income brackets. Having an ID with a different address than what your voter registration has is a pain in the ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

randylahey wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 10:32 am One side wants verified elections requiring IDs. The other side is adamant to not require ID, and they also want illegals to be able to vote.

Gee I wonder why.
It is not hard at all to guess why the party that decided that life in Springfield, Ohio was worth ruining to prove a political point about brown people, wants voter ID laws.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 10:46 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:51 am Preparing to renew a passport for my youngest, and dealing with all of the paperwork that comes with having a second parent who won’t be at the application site (and who has a different legal name than what’s on the kiddo’s birth certificate).

This process is exactly why voter ID laws are suppressive - governmental agencies can make both the paperwork and the process as byzantine and impossible as they’d like. It’s a pain in the ass for MY family, and we have a fairly normal profile (to say nothing of having official records on hand, English as a native language, access to a printer/scanner/copier and job flexibility that lets me do this during post office hours).
And people in lower income brackets tend to change addresses more frequently than those in higher income brackets. Having an ID with a different address than what your voter registration has is a pain in the ass.
And moving around a lot makes keeping even your own records harder to manage. Which might have you running to a Department of Health for a birth certificate, a Department of Motor Vehicles for a driver's license and a Department of Revenue for tax records.

All of which processes have their own elaborate sub-processes.

And meanwhile:
Research by the Brennan Center for Justice in 2017 looked at 42 jurisdictions in the 2016 election, and reported that of 23.5 million votes cast, election officials only found about 30 cases of potential noncitizen voting that they referred for prosecution or further investigation.

More recent investigations also haven’t shown proof of widespread noncitizen voting. A Georgia audit of its voter rolls conducted this year found fewer than 2,000 instances of noncitizens attempting to register to vote over the last 25 years, none of which succeeded. Millions of new Georgia voters registered during that time period.
https://apnews.com/article/2022-midterm ... dc717906e5

It is simply not that difficult to understand. The incidence of actual attempts at voting fraud - not MY CONSTITUENTS TOLD ME AND THEREFORE I MUST ACT ON IT - is so rare that it does not justify the suppressive effects of voter ID laws.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 10:54 am

And moving around a lot makes keeping even your own records harder to manage. Which might have you running to a Department of Health for a birth certificate, a Department of Motor Vehicles for a driver's license and a Department of Revenue for tax records.

And meanwhile:
Research by the Brennan Center for Justice in 2017 looked at 42 jurisdictions in the 2016 election, and reported that of 23.5 million votes cast, election officials only found about 30 cases of potential noncitizen voting that they referred for prosecution or further investigation.

More recent investigations also haven’t shown proof of widespread noncitizen voting. A Georgia audit of its voter rolls conducted this year found fewer than 2,000 instances of noncitizens attempting to register to vote over the last 25 years, none of which succeeded. Millions of new Georgia voters registered during that time period.

It is simply not that difficult to understand. The incidence of actual attempts at voting fraud - not MY CONSTITUENTS TOLD ME AND THEREFORE I MUST ACT ON IT - is so rare that it does not justify the suppressive effects of voter ID laws.
You'd think that after decades of screaming "just enforce the laws we already have" when it comes to discussions of common sense gun law adjustments that they apply the same logic. We already have laws in place to prevent illegal immigrants from voting in the national elections for Congress and the White House.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 11:06 am
jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 10:54 am

And meanwhile:

You'd think that after decades of screaming "just enforce the laws we already have" when it comes to discussions of common sense gun law adjustments that they apply the same logic. We already have laws in place to prevent illegal immigrants from voting in the national elections for Congress and the White House.
You are hitting on a pointed distinction: the same people who think we need to make illegal voting extra illegal share (at a minimum) an end of the pool with people who think background checks and gun registration are unconstitutional barriers to exercising 2A rights. Would those same people be ok with invasive and cumbersome registration processes in order to exercise their free speech rights?

Fuck and no they wouldn't.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

one might get tied in knots trying to follow all the levels of hypocrisy
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:36 am
Basically the same shit happening in Florida and Georgia.
I guess I'm not smart enough to rationalize the logic. I read randy say something about cheating but he didn't elaborate.
randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 pm
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:23 pm
I guess I'm not smart enough to rationalize the logic. I read randy say something about cheating but he didn't elaborate.
They keep screaming about illegals voting….which the data says is such a minuscule number that it is irrelevant.

Losers need to find someone to blame for their losing, because it couldn’t possibly be true that they lost.
“By way of contrast, I'm not the one who feels the need to respond to every post someone else makes”
Psych- Every Single Time
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Overlander wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 8:31 pm
RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:23 pm
They keep screaming about illegals voting….which the data says is such a minuscule number that it is irrelevant.

Losers need to find someone to blame for their losing, because it couldn’t possibly be true that they lost.
It is a fundamental, load-bearing flaw in that side of our politics: blame everything but.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I thought it telling that Psych said rationalization is a sign of fear and weakness. Implying that intimidated and frightened people trying to reason with their tormentor is some great "tell." Taking the side of the Inquisition reflexively.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Sparko wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2024 10:28 pm I thought it telling that Psych said rationalization is a sign of fear and weakness. Implying that intimidated and frightened people trying to reason with their tormentor is some great "tell." Taking the side of the Inquisition reflexively.
From the Internets: "Rationalization is an ego defense mechanism in which people justify difficult or unacceptable feelings with seemingly logical reasons and explanations."

Ergo: You want it to be okay for people who agree with you to say that people who think differently should be "taken out and shot," but not for people who don't agree with you, i.e. "Nobody cares what a professors says, but when a POTUS says it, then it is a big deal."
“I wouldn’t sleep with your wife because she would fall in love and your black little heart would be crushed again. And 100% I could beat your ass.” - Overlander
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

This feels like when I am waiting for dinner and decide to keep a spam caller engaged just so their time is wasted and they are not out messing with someone else.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

What a sniveling, cowardly jackass.

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

he’s so embarrassed…you can see it in his face

sad
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 12:57 pm he’s so embarrassed…you can see it in his face

sad
He answered the question exceedingly well. He cut to the heart of the issue. She was just pissed that he wouldn't give her the #wokegotcha response she was looking for. She was also super disrespectful. Doubly sad for her and for your side.
“I wouldn’t sleep with your wife because she would fall in love and your black little heart would be crushed again. And 100% I could beat your ass.” - Overlander
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The lengths you people will go to dress up not believing in the Constitution or the rule of law.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:19 pm The lengths you people will go to dress up not believing in the Constitution or the rule of law.
There's a word for that....nope, don't tell me, it will come to me eventually.
Nero is an angler in the lake of darkness
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Damn fine work here.