AFH Renovations

Kansas Basketball.
BiggDick
Contributor

Re: AFH Renovations

Post by BiggDick »

it looks like the various eras of Jayhawks are displayed throughout now too, such as on the corners of the dancing nacho display:

maybe it's not new tho. been a minute.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Circus font.
I personally liked the circus font more than the Trajan.
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

oh, it's circus, not carnival, is it.

yea, Trajan rolled out my senior year, and we were all pretty cool on it, but for the fact it also yielded an orange bowl plus a natty.

That's a font deal you can't not make.
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

japhy wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:24 pm
BiggDick wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:00 pm …structurally?

Japhy can you confirm?

For real tho, of course there are structural limitations. But my gripe is less about structural and more about the trim work.

This looks more like the kind of work a dive bar owner hastily throws together to satisfy some railing around the patio requirement, more so than a high-end renovation on the holiest building in college basketball.
Dick! Long time no see.

If you modify the lateral system of a historic building by more than 5%, then you have to bring the entire lateral system up to new Code values for seismic and wind resistance. This means no moving of columns of changing of beams of roof diaphragms and lateral wall braces.

AFH was built in the 50's. The EQ loads are based upon the weight of the structure and there are lots of masonry walls that are heavy. The current wind design speeds and associated loads are higher so it might mean reinforcing the columns and roof beams and increasing the numbers of braces.

It's not that the old is weak or dangerous. It has been there 75 years and if it shows no signs of failures then you can assume it is adequate to resist the loads it has seen. Every structure has strength beyond what is calculated or designed for.

But if you change that system, then you need to follow the land path through all of the elements and upgrade, because it is no longer the same lateral system and the inherent redundancies may not function as they did before. As you chase all of the loads through members and connections, it gets really expensive.

As for the walls in the corners, it does not look up to the standards defix has for his work.
Hi Japh! Right on!

good explanation, thanks.

This also explains how jet fuel melts steel, right?

I kid. But yea, defix has a much better eye for trim work.

While I guess I can live with it as a rustic look to a big old barn, this otherwise seems like building a big fancy custom home but then getting cheap on tj's countertops.
Last edited by BiggDick on Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

this will surprise no one when I say I hate all of it. Except Circus font....I do like me some circus font
Just Ledoux it