F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
ramjet
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by ramjet »

TDub wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 5:54 pm
pdub wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2024 9:33 am https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... not-upheld

UNLV goes out and beats KU and is 3-0 and the quarterback quits.
College football rules!!!
oh...even better.

All previous financial agreements were met and fulfilled. But after he beat KU and Houston his agent and family had a discussion and decided he was worth more money.....so they pulled him from the program until his extortion requests are met.

What a bitch.
What fucking idiots.

Nothing in writing!!!!

Father and agent otta be "shot". And ... the kid - speaks volumes about the education of "student athletes" in 'merica
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Here ya have it folks. The future (and current) state of NCAA Football.

randylahey wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:33 pm
Rainbows I'm sorry you have nothing better to do than to go digging stuff up on a message board.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

love it, fair market value...anything else would be unfair right? same opportunities as any other students, because Enrico the chemistry major was fucking killing it with sponsors before this....so now the poor athletes aren't indentured servants goddamnit....fight the good fight!
Just Ledoux it
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

is there any academic requirement now for these "student" athletes? scholarships ... pffff
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

it's just pro sports now...but somehow worse
Just Ledoux it
ramjet
Contributor

Post by ramjet »

TDub wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2024 3:11 pm it's just pro sports now...but somehow worse
so let's scrape number of "scholarships" cap and just have a roster built on how much NIL $$$$$ the collective has
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

sooo, there's, um...this:

BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

this trailer, at least, makes it seem like the doc is less about his amateur issues, and more about all the other shit he got in trouble for.

Pretty rad that it's produced by and features KG too

https://www.instagram.com/angolaplayers ... rED/?hl=en
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Tony Bennett to retire tomorrow. Have to think the new age of recruiting has something to do with him hanging it up early, even if he doesn't come out and say it like Saban and some other guys have.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

DeletedUser wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:46 pm Tony Bennett to retire tomorrow. Have to think the new age of recruiting has something to do with him hanging it up early, even if he doesn't come out and say it like Saban and some other guys have.
Yup.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Maybe.

But the timing suggests something more acute - would seem to me that if your reason for wanting to hang up the whistle has to do with the structural changes to the game, you wouldn't leave in a manner that at a minimum sets your program back in this fashion.

And this is not a program with a long history of success outside of this coach, so the risk of a really big, long-lasting drop is significant.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 3:55 pm Maybe.

But the timing suggests something more acute - would seem to me that if your reason for wanting to hang up the whistle has to do with the structural changes to the game, you wouldn't leave in a manner that at a minimum sets your program back in this fashion.

And this is not a program with a long history of success outside of this coach, so the risk of a really big, long-lasting drop is significant.
Unless your program isn't doing what you need to be successful recruiting so setting them back isn't a major concern?

Who knows. Definitely weird timing. I just think a lot of these coaches are not happy with the bullshit they've got to deal with as part of the endless free agency NIL era.

Some coaches don't seem to mind. Self seems to be thriving in the new system where he can reload with top transfers every single year.

Others, like Cal, who thrived on 1 and done superstars are struggling a bit in this new environment where having a bunch of young guys isn't conducive to winning the 2 games in April.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I can only imagine having someone's agent call you up for the 15th time that week saying, "Hey Tony you promised my kid his 30k at the start of the season, what's the hold up?!" and just saying, "nah, i'm exhausted, this isn't what I went into coaching for."
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

I mean, I wouldn't doubt that "the new age of recruiting" MIGHT be a factor here, sure.

But, holy shit. Short of Bennett (or some other credible somebody actually connected to the sitch) coming out and saying so in a way that lends credence otherwise, "I just think" and "I can only imagine" are like QUITE the hot takes.

And yea, the timing of this is fishy.
Psychhawk

Post by Psychhawk »

Scholarship limits be damned, anybody on that roster we should pick off in the 30 day transfer portal window that just opened up?
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

other theories:

He might have some health something, or some other family drama, or he's doing it to try and leverage the school to hire someone else in particular, or he got some other something going elsewhere.

Of course, I can offer no evidence for any of these theories. I just think I can only imagine they're as plausible as anything else.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

BiggDick wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2024 4:43 pm I mean, I wouldn't doubt that "the new age of recruiting" MIGHT be a factor here, sure.

But, holy shit. Short of Bennett (or some other credible somebody actually connected to the sitch) coming out and saying so in a way that lends credence otherwise, "I just think" and "I can only imagine" are like QUITE the hot takes.

And yea, the timing of this is fishy.
I used to know a guy here that was full of hot takes.
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

you still know a guy here, but you used to, too.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I was talking about PhD.
Who are you talking about?
BiggDick
Contributor

Post by BiggDick »

oh.

I was talking about Mitch Hedburg.