NBA Offseason

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 276

Re: NBA Offseason

Post by Deleted User 276 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 am I will never begrudge a guy for chasing the money (which includes chasing stats). That said - depending on minimum contract length, this may well ensure Marcus' NBA career ends without a ring.
I think he's only looking at 2 year deals, with 2nd as a player option, so if he wants to ring chase he will have a few more chances while still in his relative prime....the problem with these super teams is some of these vets are taking well below market value to help superstars like LeBron pad their ring count. Not sure I'd give up millions to take vet minimum deals to help others with their legacy, but I understand why some guys do.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think the fairest criticism is that if Marcus is going to go to New York where there is a logjam at the 4, why didn't he just go to the Lakers?

Other than pride and feeling f'd over by LAL, of course. It's just, NYK is and always will be a shitshow of a franchise.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:29 am I think the fairest criticism is that if Marcus is going to go to New York where there is a logjam at the 4, why didn't he just go to the Lakers?

Other than pride and feeling f'd over by LAL, of course. It's just, NYK is and always will be a shitshow of a franchise.
You can't say Marcus wasn't true to himself here, that's for sure. I admire that (even though I do not share the approach).
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:33 pm I agree on the want thing, as the last 2 seasons will show.

I just don't accept the "KU Fans have known from the beginning" thing. Wasn't an issue when he was here. Played great when he was here. Played the alpha role well here. Hell, he still plays the alpha role on bad teams pretty well, and the 2014 team wasn't too great from an offensive standpoint.

I firmly believe it's the same type of human brain thing that happens when KU fans talk about Embiid being an absolute inside and perimeter beast here game in and game out. Just wasn't the case.
Everyone saw that Wiggins wasn't a very intense and ferocious competitor when he was at Kansas. We talked all year here about the fact that he seemed to have a lot more to offer than what he gave. So yeah, that is still a knock on him today that KU fans are not at all surprised by.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:29 am I think the fairest criticism is that if Marcus is going to go to New York where there is a logjam at the 4, why didn't he just go to the Lakers?

Until There's A Contract, There's No Contract

https://deadspin.com/until-theres-a-con ... 1836245941
According to all the available reporting, the assumption that Morris was a done deal is what prompted the Spurs to trade forward Dāvis Bertāns to the Washington Wizards as part of the wheeling and dealing that enabled the team to sign yet another free-agent forward, DeMarre Carroll. If the organization had not been operating under the assumption that it was on the hook to pay Morris, it might have just signed Carroll straight up, without the need to clear cap space by trading Bertāns. Now it doesn’t have Bertāns, and it doesn’t have Morris, and the pool of possible free-agent replacements for either of them got pretty shallow during the four days its braintrust thought it had Morris.

That’s a tough break for the Spurs, one of the stablest and most widely admired shops in all of American professional sports[.]

[...]

Believe it or not, the NBA actually does have a mechanism in place to make a formal, binding, enforceable version of the handshake agreement between a player and an organization. That’d be “a contract.” Both parties sign it, and then they have to abide by its terms until it expires.

[...]

An artifact of modern basketball coverage, a vocation now more than ever largely done by aspirational dweebs all but nakedly auditioning for front-office jobs in the league, is that all smart analysis must assume the priors of general managers; the players, in this framework, are abstract fungible assets and damn well better act like it. When the Knicks snatch years and millions out of their previously agreed-upon deal with a mysteriously compromised player like a dickhead father-in-law performatively retracting dollar bills from the tip each time his water glass gets empty, that’s anodyne basketball business; if any part of it comes in for criticism, it’s the team not having done its due diligence in the first place. When Marcus Morris backs out of an unconsummated agreement with one team in favor of a better deal from another, that’s A Violation Of The Sanctity Of Uh Confidence In Uh The Uh “Transaction Market” Or Whatever.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not to mention that the media give all these teams free passes when they violate the no-contact rule prior to free agency opening. Teams get fined, media laugh it off: "Brooklyn got KD, who cares they broke the rules, great front office work!!!!"

Marcus backs out of a wink-wink deal that's not binding and it's the worst thing evar!
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:06 am
Paul1 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:24 pm Nice that Marcus is fucking over the Spurs?
Nicer that the Knicks are that fucking stupid that they want ANOTHER PF and pay him 15 million?
Am I mistaken that they just signed Gibson and Portis both to around 15 million a season a piece?
Imo Marcus should do whatever is best for him and gets him the most money. There is no loyalty from NBA front offices towards players 99% of the time, so he should look out for himself.

As far as the Knicks roster I think they would use him at the 3, which he's more than capable of playing based on his significant past experience playing the 3 for other teams....Portis can/will play the 5 in today's NBA. Gibson will be a role player, but isn't good enough to beat out Marcus for minutes if it comes down to it.

Marcus is very underrated. If he stays with the Spurs they might be a sneaky team to watch. If he goes to the Knicks he will be one of their best players immediately.
100% agree Marcus should do what Marcus feels is best for Marcus. Obviously doesn't matter what I think nor should it. Somewhat hypocritical when the Morris twins bitched about respect and loyalty but as you said, Marcus really doesn't owe the Spurs anything. Dick move or not. One thing I disagree with you on is loyalty from the front office. Sure players are nothing more than pieces of meat that can be bought and sold but once a contract is written and signed, that team is pretty much obligated to honor the contract and "loyally" pays the player the agreed upon sum. Regardless of if a player has an "off" season or not.

Marcus could play the 3 or the 4 but I have to figure he is more of a 4 guy.
Portis (side note - when Rose hit the game winner in the playoffs against the Cavs he was sitting next to me in the stands - see video ;) ) is not really an NBA Center but as someone so eloquently said to me, "today's NBA is now basically positionless" and they agree that Portis could/would play at the 5. My NY buddy is convinced Robinson sees the bulk of the minutes if they feel a need to play with the definition of a Center. In terms of Taj beating out Marcus for minutes, Someone isn't playing many minutes when they also have Julius Randle - who will probably be a starter.
Just seems like a log jam to me and while 15 million isn't all that much in today's NBA, you have a guy making 21 million and two guys making 15 million and can probably only play one of them at a time.

Marcus very well might be one of the best players on the Knicks. That and 15 million get him on a team fighting for a playoff spot. We should all be so lucky.

Bonus video -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd3mxCQlve4
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

If someone offered me a 5 million a year pay raise.. I would think about it. Marcus signed for way less than he was worth in his last contract.. which was given to him by phoenix. Marcus and Markieff signed at below value so they could play together, but then got fucked/traded. maybe he feels he can sign for an extra 5 million this year, have another good season. and get another good/better contract next year.

I hope he chooses San Antonio tho. knicks are a dumpster fire
Deleted User 276

KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Was salivating over Hard Knocks with Da Raidahs, but this will be quite entertaining, indeed.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Perfect.
Harden and Westbrook.
Stat chasers unite.

And now I can cheer for the midwestern OKC/Seattle NBA team again.
Deleted User 276

Westbrook
Harden
Gordon
Tucker
Capella

That's no pushover lineup right there. One of the 4 or 5 best starting 5s in the league.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:45 pm Westbrook
Harden
Gordon
Tucker
Capella

That's no pushover lineup right there. One of the 4 or 5 best starting 5s in the league.
That Houston team wins the West IMO
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do they still play with 1 ball?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Fascinating stuff. Will be interesting to watch. Harden and Gordon get more spot up perimeter shots.

CP3 career looks like it will end up a decent sized disappointment.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

There’ll be more spot ups available for Harden and Gordon, but who knows if they’ll get them.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Geezer wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:05 pm Do they still play with 1 ball?
Bingo.
I see a LOT of butthurt on that line up
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

Bunch of morans on this thread? :(

"Ball hogs" and "stat chasers" they may be but.....

If by being ball hogs and caring too much about stats - you mean they care about rebounds and assists in addition to shooting and scoring, is that a bad thing?
Did you know Harden was 12th in the league in assists last season?
What about Harden in 16/17 when he averaged 29 points a game and 8 rebounds and 11 assists?
Did you know Westbrook has averaged 10+ assists per season the last 4 seasons?
Can't get 10 assists if you don't pass the ball.
Last year Westbrook was FIRST in the league in ASSISTS - and 11th in rebounds.
Westbrook was FIRST in the league in ASSISTS the last 2 seasons and you know who was FIRST in the league in ASSISTS in the 16/17 season? That's right! Harden.
With Westbrook and Harden you are getting two guys who do a lot more than just want to shoot the ball.
You are getting two guys that finished top 5 in MVP voting 4 of the last 5 seasons and each one won an MVP in the last 3 seasons. That's pretty fricking impressive.
Can they co-exist? They did for a period of time in OKC - with Durant.
Time will tell but if they can and do play at the level they have the past 3 seasons - it's pretty much game over. Isn't it?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Paul1 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:46 am Bunch of morans on this thread? :(

"Ball hogs" and "stat chasers" they may be but.....

If by being ball hogs and caring too much about stats - you mean they care about rebounds and assists in addition to shooting and scoring, is that a bad thing?
Did you know Harden was 12th in the league in assists last season?
What about Harden in 16/17 when he averaged 29 points a game and 8 rebounds and 11 assists?
Did you know Westbrook has averaged 10+ assists per season the last 4 seasons?
Can't get 10 assists if you don't pass the ball.
Last year Westbrook was FIRST in the league in ASSISTS - and 11th in rebounds.
With Westbrook and Harden you are getting two guys who do a lot more than just want to shoot the ball.
You are getting two guys that finished top 5 in MVP voting 4 of the last 5 seasons and each one won an MVP in the last 3 seasons. That's pretty fricking impressive.
Can they co-exist? They did for a period of time in OKC - with Durant.
Time will tell but if they can and do play at the level they have the past 3 seasons - it's pretty much game over. Isn't it?
Maybe they mean "guys who post a ton of stats who still never seem to win much in the playoffs" when they call them stat chasers. Who knows.

Saw an interesting fact... of the 24 players in the 2017 All Star Game, just 7 are with the same team..