2019 NFL Season

Kansas Football.
Deleted User 62

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by Deleted User 62 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:57 pm Got Claiborne on the cheap. Not mad at the move but man has that guy been penalized a lot. He adds depth to a some what weak group and you hope he isn’t Scambrick 2.0.
He is #2 behind Evil Knievel in sustained injuries over a career.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Hahaha!

Speaking of injuries younger Bosa, Nick is closing ground on both of them.

Optimism...because well I'm a Chiefs homer.
1. He is past his prime but he is only 29.
2. 1.5 million for one year is cheap.
3. Maybe being reunited with the Honey Badger will spark in him what made him the sixth pick.
4. Ever since his injury filled seasons with the 'Boys he only missed two games in '17 and '18.
5. 2018 was a pretty good year for him. 2 INTs (one for a TD) and 10 PBUs.
6. He will be plenty fresh for the stretch run.

The bad...
1. In '17-18 he was fifth in the league in penalties for corners.

Low risk, high reward. If anything else it begins the draw of having an all LSU secondary when the Chiefs trade for Pat Pete at the trade deadline. (I'm half way joking about that)
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Low risk, medium at best reward.
Which is fine.
1 year contract, our corners are meh-tastic, why the hell not?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The Chiefs wideouts, tight ends and rbs can catch long passes on any play. Defenses may need to sag 10 back or blitz on every down.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:40 pm The Chiefs wideouts, tight ends and rbs can catch long passes on any play. Defenses may need to sag 10 back or blitz on every down.
Yeah, as long as everyone stays reasonably healthy, there's not much you can do about this offense.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Just imagine if we had a good running back.
LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

pdub wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:30 am Just imagine if we had a good running back.
Ok, I'll imagine. Since it's the Chiefs I envision he'd do something stupid and get promptly kicked off the team.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:30 am Just imagine if we had a good running back.
What if I told you that Damien Williams was just as productive per game in 2018 compared to what Kareem Hunt was in 2018 before his release?

It's not like the Chiefs have a slouch back behind Mahomes. They don't need Ezekiel Elliott or Todd Gurley to be good. They need a Damien Williams to be productive with Mahomes. A guy who can get some yards on the ground, catch the ball from the backfield and just not give the ball away.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

That's sort of like looking at that Villanova team that blitzed us in the title game and saying, "just imagine if they had a back-to-the-basket guy."

I agree with the sentiment that a ton of backs (of a particular profile) would do great in this offense, and that you don't need a standout guy. I also think that taking the ball out of Mahomes' hands - even to give it to a standout guy - would be a downgrade in overall efficiency.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The defense seems to be improved in some ways too. But again, with Mahomes throwing quick strikes, the defense gets to be on the field a long time. Back in the good old 2007 days, KU's defensive stats were really skewed even with NFL quality corners. Rewatching the Championship game from last year, the Chiefs defense wasn't that bad. A sack taking the Chiefs out of FG range late in the First Half was the difference. A spate of bad calls and one-handed catches aside.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It will be interesting to see how/if/when Reid (and Mahomes) will adjust pacing in the second halves, particularly in close games. Hopefully, it's a non-issue as the defense will have improved to "better than there literally being such thing as scoring too quickly".
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

This years Chiefs defense has to be better at one thing...getting off of the field on third down especially on third down and long.
Pass defense wasn't great. They were often gashed by the running game but all of that gets erased if you can get an offense off of the field on third down especially knowing what extra possessions means to an offense like the Chiefs will have.
The defense wasn't great against NE but late and in OT they had Brady backed up on third down and that played into the strength of the pass rush and for whatever reason they couldn't get NE off of the field.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:41 pm This years Chiefs defense has to be better at one thing...getting off of the field on third down especially on third down and long.
Pass defense wasn't great. They were often gashed by the running game but all of that gets erased if you can get an offense off of the field on third down especially knowing what extra possessions means to an offense like the Chiefs will have.
The defense wasn't great against NE but late and in OT they had Brady backed up on third down and that played into the strength of the pass rush and for whatever reason they couldn't get NE off of the field.
I think a big part of that was Sutton. He simply would not risk giving up a big play on a long throw (to a quarterback who was not going to throw long). It was infuriating - New England could get 8 yards whenever they wanted, no sweat.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

They let a weak Rob Gronkowski beat them with those little 8-10 yard digs when he could use his big body to shield the defender. Not one defender played underneath him to make it tough.

Bob Sutton sucked. Umbrella coverage. He was problem number 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 for Chiefs. His scheme sucked. He dropped Houston and Ford A TON in coverage. And he wouldn't put players in position to have them succeed.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I believe we can all agree that this years defense will be better, if not even dramatically better than last year simply because old man Sutton is no longer around. His schemes were way to predictable and easy to exploit.

Now that we are discussing last years NE game. How sad was it to watch old, washed Berry try to defend old, washed Gronk on the deep go route down the sideline in OT.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:28 pm I believe we can all agree that this years defense will be better, if not even dramatically better than last year simply because old man Sutton is no longer around. His schemes were way to predictable and easy to exploit.

Now that we are discussing last years NE game. How sad was it to watch old, washed Berry try to defend old, washed Gronk on the deep go route down the sideline in OT.
Berry leaves a very complicated legacy. It's a good thing for everyone involved that his time here represents ascendancy for the franchise, but with much better things likely to come. The mess that was last year will hopefully be forgotten, because it only sort of represents a missed chance.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

EB's season last year ( or lack thereof) would make for a hell of a '30 for 30.'

You can't discount his career with the Chiefs much less coming back from cancer. His name belongs in the Ring of Honor. That being said last year was such a shit show it may take awhile for Chiefs fans to forget. Time heals all wounds and I'm positive that if the Chiefs are able to win at least one or multiple SBs during the Mahomes era that will go a long way to softening the end of the EB era.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I mean I knew AB loved his old style helmet but you gotta be KIDDING. Raiders gon' Raiders.
Holidaysmore - 2005