Royals

Other Sports.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: Royals

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Asking the public for money is a hell of a way to start a new tenure.

I want downtown baseball. I absolutely don't want public funds for it. I won't get both those wishes, although Quinton winning is a bigger hurdle to public funds than Jolie would have been.

I suppose it's slightly more stomach-able if the Royals get blight project incentives.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:14 pm I will eat 7YH's shorts if there is not a new Royals stadium that is directly or indirectly taxpayer-funded some time in the next ten years.
If I'm not mistaken, isn't the current lease good until 2030?

I mean I know all leases can be void and all that, but still that's been a good spot for them and I'd imagine they stay there until lease is up and then move downtown in 10 years.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Those projects take years. I suspect the drumbeat will pick up (honestly, it's already started) within the next five years. I think it's more likely than not that the Royals do not play out their lease.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:21 pm Can't decide feelings until Sparko's take.
Ha! Still and yet I have followed the Royals since Jerry Adair was at 2B. Anyway, when you see the market value and add in that even the Koch Brothers are dying off, it seems too good to be true for Glass. The Royals have been tanking for picks, and it could work out. I hope the Royals never let the pen go to crap ever again no matter what.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So...we like the sale?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I like it. I was never a big Glass guy other than he kept the team here.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

We like da’ sale PW. I believe it was Wiscy who said Glass was always a tepid motherfucker.
shindig

Post by shindig »

It won't be completely tax payer funded, but I don't mind paying a little extra to have a downtown ballpark. Or do what they did for the Sprint Center, add a fee to rental cars and hotels, that way it's mostly out of towners like Geezer paying for the stadium.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Soler 1 game away from tying Royals HR record.

He's been smashing the ball all year. 2.1 WAR. Good slugging %
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

shindig wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:10 pm It won't be completely tax payer funded, but I don't mind paying a little extra to have a downtown ballpark. Or do what they did for the Sprint Center, add a fee to rental cars and hotels, that way it's mostly out of towners like Geezer paying for the stadium.
Well, Sprint Center was financed by a lot more than that (and the biggest planned giveaway - quite literally the arena itself, to a team - hasn't happened, of course).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

At least downtown baseball gives something back to the taxpayers/city.

Paying for renovations out at Truman is just offensive, but I suppose the voters did that to themselves.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:48 pm At least downtown baseball gives something back to the taxpayers/city.

Paying for renovations out at Truman is just offensive, but I suppose the voters did that to themselves.
I do think that baseball is the only sport where public subsidies (for downtown and similar areas) are just sub-optimal public policy, rather than the dumbest fucking possible ideas ever.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Deal has been agreed to.

Glass selling Royals to group led by KC businessman John Sherman for $1B.

Deal will be official in November when MLB owners agree to deal.

Good for Glass. Bought them for $96M. Back-to-back WS appearances, 1 WS win, and a renewed interest in KC baseball. Gained $906M out of the deal, got a 941% ROI. Not bad Mr. Glass, not bad.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

What a difference Mondesi makes. Need some of those young arms to mature.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Soler hit #40 last night. Amazing what a healthy season will do a for a hitter like that. But I also think it proves that he has no future in the OF. He should be a DH from here on out for his career.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:28 am Deal has been agreed to.

Glass selling Royals to group led by KC businessman John Sherman for $1B.

Deal will be official in November when MLB owners agree to deal.

Good for Glass. Bought them for $96M. Back-to-back WS appearances, 1 WS win, and a renewed interest in KC baseball. Gained $906M out of the deal, got a 941% ROI. Not bad Mr. Glass, not bad.
Does mean the team could have signed some players “small market excuse” aside. Would have been nice to have dumped some of the windfall into an operating fund.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:13 am Soler hit #40 last night. Amazing what a healthy season will do a for a hitter like that. But I also think it proves that he has no future in the OF. He should be a DH from here on out for his career.
Mondesi in front of Soler makes a difference. The team was rolling before the injury as was Soler. Soler’s production has been terrific in a healthy lineup.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

All top of the order guys have done well when healthy.

Next year could potentially be this in the lineup if nothing changes:

Mondesi
Whit
Salvy
Soler
Dozier
Phillips
O'Hearn
Lopez
Starling

First 5 are really good. Rest are average. More defensive than offensive guys.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I think there's at least a chance Phillips and Lopez end up being merely below-average-to-average hitters (rather than disturbingly bad, which is O'Hearn's and Starling's fate). With Phillips and Lopez, that would be enough to make them useful players.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I see O’Hearn and Starling as platoon guys with McBroom and Phillips. Lopez is an every day guy who can hit to all fields. Streaky? Yes. Outfield seems pretty deep if Merrifield is moved there and Gordo returns. Witt or some other phenom might surprise.