2019 NFL Season

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by pdub »

What’d you tell your Chiefs friends when your boys got roughed up at home v the Oakland Raiders?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Corners aren’t the issue. It is the run. 1000%. They flat out can’t stop it.

Yeah, we, KC in general are Mahomes drunk. Even with second or third string WRs you give me a healthy Mahomes and I’ll take that against anyone.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:56 pm The elephant in the room though:
Has our defense improved at all?
Honey Badger looks good but our corners still look like trash.
And still getting bashed on the ground.
Tough to tell. It’s been 5 games with a new staff and basically all new starters. I’d say wait until November to really be able to tell. I think they’re better, but run defense isn’t good and neither is 1st down defense.

But they held Indy to 19 points. Offense should be able to put up 19.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

As much as I cursed the defense today, the offense should have scored more against a rookie filled secondary.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:45 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:43 pm
Sparko wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:39 pm Indy was pretty healthy-this was a sneaky line. Some sharks made out in Vegas.
Colts had 4 defensive starters out with injuries.
Biggest difference. Colts healthy on O. Chiefs were not healthy on D. Had 4 healthy DL from mid 3rd quarter on. Indy wore them down.
Agreed. None 9f Indy's 5 starting offensive linemen have missed a single snap this year.
Deleted User 266

Post by Deleted User 266 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:52 pm Weak division doesn’t mean weak schedule. See my post above. They have a rough stretch in November and December. Brady has been awful the last few weeks.
Patriots are lucky to have had a soft schedule so far. I'm not so sure how rough it will be in November and December. At Baltimore, at Philly, and at Houston may be tough (in addition to playing KC at home) but those teams have already lost at home to average teams.

Brady has been awful the last few weeks?
I'll give you he was "awful" against Buffalo. They still found a way to win.
The shit teams of Washington, New York Jets, Miami, and Pittsburgh Brady was very good if not great against.
Brady doesn't have to be great for the Pats to win.
Shit, Andrew Luck doesn't have to play for the Colts for them to beat K.C. at Arrowhead.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Houston knew what we were gonna run on the big 4th down stop:

“I know the formation they used, and from the formation, I knew they’d run power,” Houston told me. “They ran 22 personnel [two backs, two tight ends, one wideout], and I knew they’d run power to the strong side. I had to get off the ball strong at the snap.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... =rotoworld
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

No Eric Fisher, Tyreek Hill, Dorian O Daniel, Sammy Watkins, Anthony Hitchens, Chris Jones, Xavier Williams and Andrew Wylie. And a limping Mahomes.

After Tyreek ( and obviously Mahomes ) Fisher and Wylie seem the most important to get to full health as fast as possible.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Don't look into that more than it should be. Everyone in the building knew what they were going to run. Except for maybe Erving. I don't have a problem running the ball in that spot but my question is why do you use a 5'9 RB in his first game coming off an injury....if you wanna run power run with Darrel or Shady. For that matter where was Shady in the second half? A lot of this loss falls right on Andy Reid, who called probably the worst game of his Chiefs coaching career. They looked unprepared and didn't appear to make any adjustments.

Now that being said...if you are a Chiefs fan, including me we all need to come off of the ledge. You cannot grade a team when they don't have a starting G, LT, and your 1 and 2 WR. If the end result is to get to the SB a championship team figures it out. How many times have we seen a NE team lose a head scratcher and look dead in the water. The Chiefs have a lot to figure out and glaring issues got exposed last night but the best thing is that a lot of those glaring holes can and will be fixed when guys come back healthy.

Even thought no one in that locker room will admit it that Chiefs team, especially after last week got a little full of themselves and thought that with the entire Colts secondary out they were gonna cake walk. Last night they found out that no matter who your QB is and the talent you have if you don't play a smart, disciplined game of football you can get beat by anyone.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Breeland against Hopkins or Fuller next week is terrifying.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I've said it a million times and it applies to all levels of football. Football can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it. Success really starts at the offensive and defensive line. Using the Chiefs as an example if you give Mahomes time to survey the field paired with one of the greatest offensive HCs they will absolutely shred you. You pressure him and especially on a bad wheel he becomes very pedestrian. If you can pressure him by only bringing four and dropping everyone else you have essentially shut them down.

The point I'm trying to make is right now the Chiefs cannot get pressure without having to bring guys. When you have to bring extra guys to get pressure you put your corners in really, really tough spots. How many times last night did Collinsworth mention a 'smoke zero coverage' It was A LOT. That was really the only time the Chiefs got pressure.

The bigger issue shouldn't be Hopkins or Fuller. They are going to get stats. The bigger issue, IMO is can the Chiefs stop, gasp, and I can't believe I'm saying this Carlos Freaking Hyde.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:17 am Breeland against Hopkins or Fuller next week is terrifying.
Good thing is. Houston really can't run the ball. They have Carlos Hyde. Not a big threat by any means.

I expect the Chiefs to sit back and play the same style of defense that Carolina did. Mathieu and Thornhill take the middle of the field, and then corners drop and make them beat you with short passes.

Breeland has actually been really good all year. He had a bad game last night, sure. But that hasn't been the snapshot of his entire season.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:36 am The point I'm trying to make is right now the Chiefs cannot get pressure without having to bring guys. When you have to bring extra guys to get pressure you put your corners in really, really tough spots. How many times last night did Collinsworth mention a 'smoke zero coverage' It was A LOT. That was really the only time the Chiefs got pressure.

I will say this. It was really nice to see zero blitzing from a KC defense. Put pressure on the QB and get the ball out quick. Not the only thing about that is, you have to do it in obvious passing downs. Indy didn't have many obvious passing downs last night. They were getting 6 yards a pop on first down runs it seemed.

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I did like Spags dialing up the pressure. In an ideal world you can get pressure with four but if you can't you have to find other ways. The defense was bad yesterday but you would expect the offense to win games when the defense allows 19.

Yesterday was just a bad game in general. Penalties, turnovers, bad play calling, injuries and despite all of that the Chiefs still had an opportunity to win the game.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Wylie's x-ray came back negative.
Whew.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

I don't think our defense lost the game, it was our offensive line. At least our guys know we have this weakness to work on. We'll still go 13-3 or 12-4.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Can't really work on the weakness if Fisher and Wylie are out though - except I guess quick throws which is what Andy was trying to dial up at the end there ( but then negates some of Mahomes' magic ).
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

pdub wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:57 pm Can't really work on the weakness if Fisher and Wylie are out though - except I guess quick throws which is what Andy was trying to dial up at the end there ( but then negates some of Mahomes' magic ).
I remember many years ago the Colts were known as having the worst run defense in the league. We played them in the wildcard (back when we had Edwards), and they shut our run game down completely. My hope is our guys can adjust in some way, but I get your point. As bad as our offense was yesterday, we only lost by one possession.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

lobster wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:09 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:57 pm Can't really work on the weakness if Fisher and Wylie are out though - except I guess quick throws which is what Andy was trying to dial up at the end there ( but then negates some of Mahomes' magic ).
I remember many years ago the Colts were known as having the worst run defense in the league. We played them in the wildcard (back when we had Edwards), and they shut our run game down completely. My hope is our guys can adjust in some way, but I get your point. As bad as our offense was yesterday, we only lost by one possession.
I remember that game well. They shut Johnson down. Chiefs got a pick from Ty Law when KC was down 6-0. He returned it to the Colts 9. Chiefs couldn't do anything and missed a chip shot FG. So frustrating.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The hope will be that Tyreek can make it out there.
Some of the things the Chiefs run depend on his threat on the field.