The Meat Thread

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

The Meat Thread

Post by Shirley »

My name is Feral and I have an omnivore problem.

Did not see the "secret ingredient" coming:

The Secret Ingredient That Improves Meat Every Time
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: The Meat Thread

Post by jhawks99 »

Never tried that. Not sure I will. Mayo is eggs and oil with some acid (lemon juice or vinegar), I use olive oil in and vinegar/lemon/lime juice in marinades already.

I have heard of substituting mayo for butter on grill sammiches, never tried that either.
Broham
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Mayo is fucking disgusting
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

been on a meat reduction kick for the past few weeks

the veggie meat substitutes are actually not bad...not the healthiest, but the impossible burger at carl’s jr. is pretty damn good
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:29 am Never tried that. Not sure I will. Mayo is eggs and oil with some acid (lemon juice or vinegar), I use olive oil in and vinegar/lemon/lime juice in marinades already.

I have heard of substituting mayo for butter on grill sammiches, never tried that either.
The discussion of the benefits of having the oil, water, and egg protein in Mayo as an emulsion was pretty interesting.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I didn't read down that far. No subscription.
Broham
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:38 am Mayo is fucking disgusting
Nothing I've read resonates more with me than this.

Why Won't the Mayo Bullies Leave Us Alone?

https://thetakeout.com/drew-magary-hate ... 1832866128
I hate mayonnaise. You don’t need to know the particulars of why I hate the taste of it. Why, just thinking about that taste right now triggers my gag reflex, which is neat. But suffice it to say, I’ve hated mayonnaise my entire life. And my repeated exposures to mayonnaise have not improved my opinion of the substance. It’s fucking disgusting, and it’s been an unwelcome interloper in my food—sandwiches, burgers, sushi, you name it—for over 40 years.

Will any of that stop mayonnaise lovers from trying to convince me that it’s good? Will it stop them from incepting it into my food without telling me, in some fruitless, psycho attempt to alter my stance? No and no. Even otherwise reasonable people are more than happy to indulge in mayonnaise bullying[.]

[...]

Mayonnaise is among the top-selling condiments in America. By some measures, it’s number one overall. Since we live in a consumerist dystopia, this dumb statistic is all that mayo-stans require as personal validation to proselytize their devil lotion to the rest of us. That is them owning you with real logic.

Well, here’s another stat for them, a fact that I know in my soul: No dining request gets ignored/forgotten more often than a request to hold the mayo. I know this because mayonnaise has ambushed me on dozens of occasions, in any number of flimsy disguises. Oftentimes, restaurants don’t even ask if you want it. Or worse: if you say you don’t, they don’t care. They just assume everyone adores it and then they slather it on like a fucking war crime.

That is why I hate mayo. This goes way past the taste of mayo and more to an epidemic of shitty manners. I hate mayonnaise itself, the way it festers all over my food like a blob of acrid pus. But what I hate even more is the strange national insistence upon mayonnaise being a vital condiment, even though countless people hate mayonnaise and science explains why it can cause the human brain to register disgust. No matter. When I tell certain people that I don’t like mayo, they react as if they just discovered an alien life form.

[...]

This is not me trying to convince pro-mayo people to hate it. I swear. This isn’t the standard web rant where I tell you that a thing you like is actually bad. If you like mayo, go with God. I won’t try to dissuade you from it. You’re actually lucky in that your epicurean existence is not littered with vile, soggy booby traps. All I ask is that you mayo bullies respect my distaste for that shit, and that you recognize the extent of that distaste. I could tell you that I don’t like mayo a million times, and I have. It always falls on deaf ears. Too many mayo people think that haters can—or worse, that they should—tolerate a little bit of mayo anyway.

They would be wrong. I cannot tolerate any fucking mayo. It’s a critical part of NOTHING. This isn’t England, man. Mayonnaise is not its own fucking food group here. If you scrape the mayo off my bread like a lazy asshole, I still know it’s there. I can still taste it contaminating my meal. I can feel it infecting my body, so I don’t appreciate it when people try to convince me that I’m wrong to dislike mayonnaise, as if life needs repulsive potato salad. Every time I politely refuse mayo, I am met with endless gaslight attempts. But it’s good! Motherfucker, if I liked it, I would know by now.
Deleted User 89

only one place i tolerate mayo, and even then only in a thin layer...blt’s
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:38 am Mayo is fucking disgusting
this really made me chuckle.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I feel the same way about ketchup.
Broham
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Good month for mayo: leftover turkey, white bread, mayo.
Delish.
Deleted User 89

weirdo
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

At a bar in downtown KC last week and their house burger came standard with Mayo.

I about rioted. I like mayo and am generally against nationalism, but there's a fucking limit.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Mayo on a burger, no thanks.

Mayo on a BLT, yes please.
Mayo in a tuna salad/chicken salad, yes please.
Pimento cheese, yes please.
Light amount of mayo in a lobster roll, potato salad or cole slaw, yes please.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:23 am Mayo on a burger, no thanks.

Mayo on a BLT, yes please.
Mayo in a tuna salad/chicken salad, yes please.
Pimento cheese, yes please.
Light amount of mayo in a lobster roll, potato salad or cole slaw, yes please.
Obviously as a staunch no-mayo-er, perhaps I am wrong, but: aren't those things basically held together by mayo?
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah, I don't mind mayo on a burger, but the standard should not be mayo.

While I'm on this topic, barbeque sauce doesn't belong on a burger. Those BBQ hamburgers at restaurants are gross.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Pretty sure that mayo is de rigueur on a "Hamburger Deluxe". See "The Whopper"...
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Cole slaw can just be vinegar based.
Potato salad can be made with just oil.
Lobster rolls can come with oil or butter.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I like a good BBQ sauce on a burger.
I just won't mix condiments with BBQ sauce though.
It's BBQ sauce only.

Otherwise it's ketchup, mustard and maybe sriracha ( light application on all of them ).
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I'm slowly coming back around to mustard. I had such a disdain for it for a long time.

But I'm putting it on hamburgers and all that more recently now.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG