2019 NFL Season

Kansas Football.
holidaysmore

Re: 2019 NFL Season

Post by holidaysmore »

For one week the Chiefs defense played pretty well. Gave up a lot between the hashes but buckled down when it mattered. Most importantly, in an area they have struggled mightily they closed a game out the offense could not. I’m not ready to call them the Ravens or the 85 Bears because they haven’t done it consistently but at least for one night when they really had to have it the defense came through. That should be encouraging.
Week to week everything changes so right now the temperature of Chiefs fans should be about the same. They are a team with a high ceiling but for numerous reasons they have not played to that level since the Ravens game. You have to feel pretty good about playing the Raiders at home with Reid’s track record against the AFC West and his record coming off of a bye.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

This week the venue was challenging. I think the bye week could not come at a better time. Need to work on the timing. I can only conclude Andy will roll out some new wrinkles in the last five games. The Chiefs won a vanilla game after having lost one the week before. This is all about the next two opponents. How to defeat the Patriot defensive scheme. Will be really compelling viewing.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Best thing going for Chiefs right now. This funk is happening in November. Not December and not the playoffs.

They have a bye. They have a weaker schedule coming up. Should go 4-1, could go 5-0. They have time to get healthy. Reid is 17-3 out of the bye. 24-3 against AFC West since 2015.

Feeling actually pretty good about the Chiefs. Played in 11 straight games with one of most injury riddled Chiefs seasons in history. Mahomes, Hill, Fisher, Clark, Jones, Watkins have all missed multiple games. I’d rather have the bye late in year like they have to get healthy for the stretch run.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

twocoach wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:19 pm
Gqcolorado wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:15 pm Chiefs are fine guys. Today hurts but you all in good shape.
Eh, OK. Based on what, their 2-4 record in their last six? Their shitty home record? Their shitty defense? Their decimated o line that was mediocre before all their injuries?
Reality.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

The top right quadrant is what you want. Chiefs are in it. 12th ranked defense. 2nd ranked offense.

“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

12th ranked defense?
Don't see it.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

They've been borderline outstanding against the pass. 230 yards per game against. They play a truly traditional bend don't break defense.

Don't look at yards because they'll give up a ton. But they don't give up many points (middle of the pack) They are top 5 in turnovers forced. 10 INTs and 6 fumbles recovered.

According to metrics, they are the 3rd best team in the NFL. NE 1st, Baltimore 2nd. KC 3rd. Dallas 4th.

KC though has a tough record because they play one team that is lower than 19. They play or have played the teams ranked this..

1, 2, 7, 10, 11, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 and 23 (Tennessee)

Pats on the other hand have played or will play this..
2, 3, 4, 9, 17, 20, 21, 24 twice (BUFFALO!), 28 twice, 29, 30, 31 and 32 twice

Reason why they are 9-1 and KC is 7-4. The level of competition also plays a factor. NE plays 9 games against teams that are ranked worse than KCs worse opponent.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If I were to rank the top defenses in the NFL, the Chiefs would not be 12th.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I know the stats say otherwise but I’m not sure if I’m buying KC as the 12th ranked defense. I need to see more consistency. The defenses best games as whole have been against Flacco, Rivers and the outlier would be Cousins. Chiefs either down four and need the ball back or up four and need to hold against Lamar or Brady. I don’t get the ‘warm’ and ‘fuzzy’ feelings that they would be able to accomplish either. Now if they come out and have a similar results against Carr I might start to believe what I had initially believed that Spags defenses have played their best in December on.

Best case scenario you give me a defense that is playing at a 12th ranked level and a close to completely healthy offense all take that team against anyone anywhere.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yes.
If we really had the 12th best defense in the NFL and our offense was healthy?
Love our chances.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

That's also kind of the point. The team has not hit on all cylinders yet. Closest was maybe Baltimore when they were up 30-13 in the 3rd quarter..?

When the Chiefs offense is good, the defense blows. When the offense blows, the defense is top notch.

Looking forward to seeing both on point for the entire game.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

This brings up a good point: Too many commentators bring up yards per game instead per carry on run defense. “Porous” was quite the word of the day Monday. KC gives up more running yards per game than most because other teams are stalling. But Denver, Minnesota and LA are good examples of the team bearing down.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

pdub wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:51 pm Yes.
If we really had the 12th best defense in the NFL and our offense was healthy?
Love our chances.
The magic word - "If". Yet, the 12th, 15th, 20th, 25th, best defense in football and a healthy Chiefs offense and I love the Chiefs chances against anyone.
If someone said to me, besides the Ravens (who the Chiefs proved they can beat), who don't you like the Chiefs chances against?
I would have to say no one.
I don't believe the Packers, Saints and 9ers are as good as their records indicate they are. Same with the Pats. I do believe the Chiefs are a better team than their 7-4 record indicates they are.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

You guys sound horrible.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah I'm good with the Chiefs chances because Mahomes. Mahomes can single handily carry a team far. We've seen it with Rodgers, Brees, Brady and many others. Those guys have won Super Bowls with average to below average defenses.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Another interesting chart. Chiefs have played a tough schedule. 3-3 vs teams over .500

Pats 1-1 in their 2 games. Ravens 3-1 in their 4 games (loss to Chiefs was a big deficit until late) 49ers 1-1. Bills 0-1. Raiders 1-4 !!!!! in their 5 games. Packers 4-0. Saints 3-1.

Point is Chiefs have played tough schedule. Done ok, not great but ok. Even though Oats competition has improved, still playing against teams below .500 outside of Chiefs, Cowboys and Bills. Chiefs still have Just 2 more games against .500 and over teams. Raiders and Pats. Closing schedule is pretty easy. All teams below .500.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

You would think the Chiefs were the Super Bowl champion last year with this schedule. New England really got lucky.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Thanks for sharing the chart, Newton.

Interesting stuff.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
columbusdjkc

Post by columbusdjkc »

Raiders doing raiders things 😂😂
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

lobster wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:32 pm That quarterback sneak on 4th and 8 was brilliant. Even though we won, this Lions team is the best Lions team I've ever seen.
Lions are now 3-7-1 after today's loss to the Skins.
Don't feel bad, you aren't the only one who felt they were "contenders" early in the season.
The Lions are JUNK!