KU @ ISU Gamethread. Anyone Out There?

Kansas Football.
Deleted User 289

Re: KU @ ISU Gamethread. Anyone Out There?

Post by Deleted User 289 »

An optimist says it was a nice season with promise - where we would could have realistically beaten Coastal Carolina, West Virginia, and Texas - which would have made us Bowl eligible.
A pessimist says it was a season where were we could have easily gone 1-11 (assuming we lose to Baylor) if not for a late comeback win against Indiana State and a late comeback win against Texas Tech.
A Grandma says it was a season where we went 3-9 (assuming we lose to Baylor). Which is about where I think many/most people would have expected us to finish.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

yep, the record will look about right, but the way it happened definitely much different and a reason for hope moving forward...which is way different than it's happened in a bit.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Well we have not had any real hope since the fat man so.... but we do not have one JC recruit next year

It will take three years of recruiting like this year tied into the four game redshirt rule and we could have the depth to play with almost anyone. No more blue/grey shirts and just develop the players that fit the system. Dearmon's offense left alone will put us in position to win games. You want freshman that RS 100% due to the fact they can not break into the two deep rotation.

Look at Kstate roster their starting offensive line all five RS SR. They are losing 7 starters on offense and all RS SR. They losing six on defense five are RS SR. This is the reason they pounded us but we now have Les and their only good coach ever finally retiring for real we should turn the corner.

The barometer is KState. We need to beat them and I think next year we can. Then we need to beat them for the rest of our lives. We start beating the purple clowns every year and we going places.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah. Ground work has been laid. Staff did damn near everything right, except for that Coastal game. Still a WTF moment this year.

Lost 4 games by a combined 22 points. And Dearmon was here for 2 of those. Could easily be 2-2 with Dearmon at the helms for Coastal and WVU.

I didn’t expect this type of consistent competing. Probably because I’m not used to it.

I’ll take a likely 3-9 record and be happy. Even though I might have picked 5-7 at best before the years. Because half of the losses will have been close and competitive. That’s all I and many Kansas Football fans can ask for.

Now they lose some pieces next year, so I think 2021 is going to be the year that the progress shows in wins and losses.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don't get how people can be happy with a 3-9 record but OK.
I'm optimistic about next year - there were some good things this season that showed next season could be better.
But if KU comes out next season 3-9 I hope the people here happy with this years 3-9 aren't happy with next years 3-9.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:46 pm Y
I’ll take a likely 3-9 record and be happy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zra3lJ7Ibr0
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

The CC is certainly the WTF moment. Zero excuses for that dud. Other than the TCU game they have avoided the complete blowout, it looks like the team has quit game. KSU was bad but that looked more like this team isn't quite ready for the spotlight.
Baylor game excluded if the season was to end tomorrow I would feel 100% better about the future of this program moving forward - both on the field and the things that are taking place behind the scenes.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I think if you were to criticize anything is wondering how lucky Miles got with Brent Dearmon.

I wasn't high on Chip and if we did not get lucky with Dearmon, things would be pretty grim on the offensive side of the ball.

And, CC game, of course, but that kind of ties into the aforementioned issue.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Whoever it was that had the foresight to hire Dearmon deserves a ton of recognition. If he can get the right QB things could get very interesting on the offensive side of the ball. Les needs to let go of the offensive play calling and let Dearmon loose. No more power run game, no more sweeps. Let Dearmon have full control.

The CC was a WTF moment but maybe even more was them hiring Older Les as the 'puppet' OC. Wasted money and I was told he didn't even do any recruiting.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:26 am I don't get how people can be happy with a 3-9 record but OK.
I'm optimistic about next year - there were some good things this season that showed next season could be better.
But if KU comes out next season 3-9 I hope the people here happy with this years 3-9 aren't happy with next years 3-9.
imo, it's too much to ask of any staff and team to go from poorly-coached, disheartened and under-strength to bowl bid in the course of less than one year. If they had, it would be remarkable.

I've not seen this dark, brooding side of you. Do you even rebuild, brah? (j/k)
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Mangino at Kansas:

2-10
6-7
4-7
7-5

Les Miles at Oklahoma State

4-7
8-5
9-4
7-5

Matt Fucking Rhule

1-11
7-6
10-1*
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

The worst thing Kansas has going for it is their schedule for 2020. Easiest conference games all on the road.

I'm going to be that guy and list the games.

New Hampshire
@ Baylor
Boston College
@ Coastal
Iowa State
@ kstate
Oklahoma St
@ West Va
Texas
@ Tech
@ Oklahoma
Texas Christian

Tough schedule there for progress in the W/L column.

As I stated on other threads.. 2021 is going to be the true measuring stick of success for Les and this program. Year 1 has been a success in a way. 2020 might be close to the same as this year. But 2021 should be the first year where W/L should be measured.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:01 pm Mangino at Kansas:

2-10
6-7
4-7
7-5

Les Miles at Oklahoma State

4-7
8-5
9-4
7-5

Matt Fucking Rhule

1-11
7-6
10-1*
Matt Rhule is damn legit. He's so good at what he does. He shouldn't be around Baylor much longer because some bigger school/NFL will want to scoop him up.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Louiville was 2-10 and 0-8 in conference last season.
They are 7-4 this season under a new coach.
UNC was 2-9 and now are a win away from bowling.

It's not like it can't be done.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ChalkRocker wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:55 am I've not seen this dark, brooding side of you.
Just tired of the same old excuses.
"We have nothing to work with," ad nauseam.
Other programs have escaped out of the muck but we've been in it, rotating excuses, for a decade now.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:26 pm Louiville was 2-10 and 0-8 in conference last season.
They are 7-4 this season under a new coach.
UNC was 2-9 and now are a win away from bowling.

It's not like it can't be done.
You're very correct. But c'mon let's not act like Louisville and UNC didn't already have talent stockpiled everywhere.

Kansas got screwed from previous hires that have literally not allowed the same scholarships as their peers. L'Ville and UNC have not had that problem.

Beaty was on track to get KU out of scholarship mess and then fucked his own plan to try and save his ass.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I've heard all the excuses is all i'm saying.
Just hope that we get some actual results - which come in the form of wins - next season.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

As do I. Just don't be surprised if it's a 4-8 type of season as well.

But hell I did not expect 4 losses by a combined 22 points either, this team could very well be 6-5 going into last game.. Les Miles effect.

But alas, here we are at 3-8, just a few possessions away from 6-5, and also a few possessions away from 1-10. But competitive football is what many have asked for, and it's what we've received for the majority of the games.

ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Sometimes "excuses" are not "excuses", but are actually "reasons".

Give these guys some time...
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ChalkRocker wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:52 pm Sometimes "excuses" are not "excuses", but are actually "reasons".

Give these guys some time...
Dumbass takes usually aren't worth arguing against.