KU @ ISU Gamethread. Anyone Out There?

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: KU @ ISU Gamethread. Anyone Out There?

Post by pdub »

The CC loss was on the coaching staff with some frustratingly terrible calls.
As PhD pointed out, we were 5-6 point dogs to ksu. And then we got manhandled.
I'm not blind to the progress, as i've noted before, but the blame in three wins isn't all on a lack of horses, much of it can be placed in coaching and the administration.

I don't buy that it takes four years to get wins because the staff needs their recruits to go through the program...I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 6 win season next season. Matt Campbell went 3-9 in his first year and has had 8 win seasons since then in Ames.

Not that we have many options at this point because we have to be all in on Les - but you can still keep standards at mediocre and not just be comfortable with failure.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Look at the Astros, they won 107 games last year. It's not unreasonable to expect the Royals to win 95 next year.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

YOU GUYS NEED TO STOP COMPARING KANSAS' SITUATION TO OTHER SCHOOLS.

Don't talk about Campbell when Iowa State had a coach that had been there the 7 previous years.

Or Mack Brown at North Carolina, where Larry Fedora was the previous coach for 7 season.

KU has had 3 coaches (4 if you include Bowen) in those 7 year spans.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

What in the world.... we don't have the talent yet. Not sure what you guys are looking for but it is going to take three strong classes to get us up to speed. Until then you can bitch all you want about anything you want. We weren't going to be good this year and we are not going to be great next year but should show progress.

The key is beating the purple clowns. When we start pounding them instead of them pounding us you will see that we can win any game. We won't but we could and then you will see recruiting up tick and an even better team in the future. We need to put the staties back in their place. OBLIVION!!!!

Gill, Charlie and Beaty got us here. It will take a few years to get us out the mess created by hiring three in a row tragic coaches. We got lucky with Dearmon and now we just need to keep him and let him run.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Full roster turnover every 5 years and reslly with jucos and transfers it's even faster, so there's no reason to go back 7.

ISU is basically the perfect comparison, same conference, worse geography.

3 wins
2 wins
3 wins

Campbell gets hired
3 wins
8 wins
8 wins
8 wins
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't want to get into the intricacies b/c there are several reasons why Iowa State is definitely not the perfect comparison.

But, how do you figure worse geography? Iowa HS football >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kansas HS football.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Further from texas, further from Louisiana further from oklahoma, not in B1G, so no advantage from proximity to those states, they're Iowa's little brother....

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:04 pmthey're Iowa's little brother....
Well, when it comes to in-state football recruiting, Kansas is . . .
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:08 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:04 pmthey're Iowa's little brother....
Well, when it comes to in-state football recruiting, Kansas is . . .
Right...but we shouldn't be. We didn't used to be, and the only reason we currently are is because old balls learned how at iowa.

ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

pdub wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:40 pm The CC loss was on the coaching staff with some frustratingly terrible calls.
As PhD pointed out, we were 5-6 point dogs to ksu. And then we got manhandled.
I'm not blind to the progress, as i've noted before, but the blame in three wins isn't all on a lack of horses, much of it can be placed in coaching and the administration.

I don't buy that it takes four years to get wins because the staff needs their recruits to go through the program...I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a 6 win season next season. Matt Campbell went 3-9 in his first year and has had 8 win seasons since then in Ames.

Not that we have many options at this point because we have to be all in on Les - but you can still keep standards at mediocre and not just be comfortable with failure.
I'm not certain who said we need four yrs to get wins or who said that a three-win season next yr will be fine or who is comfy with failure.

If you don't wish to call 'em out, that's a class move, but shame (SHAME!) on them.

But to yr point abt coaching vs. CC, we can agree that the change at OC has been terrific, can't we? Problem addressed head-on, I think.

Most important thing you said is that you're not blind to the progress. That's the stuff!
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

There was a curious drop in productivity against KSU and OSU. Stanley is an odd duck.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I miss John Brown from the old board. He remembered when the 1990 Jayhawkers were dubbed the best 3 win team in America. I went back and looked at the schedule. You know what? We were. That’s how I’m looking at this season.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Leawood wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:58 am I miss John Brown from the old board. He remembered when the 1990 Jayhawkers were dubbed the best 3 win team in America. I went back and looked at the schedule. You know what? We were. That’s how I’m looking at this season.
We should make T-shirts. Or a VHS.
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

Made me laugh, Gq.
HenrySwanson

Post by HenrySwanson »

I see three phases of rebuilding:

Futility: spinning your wheels and featuring regularly in the ESPN bottom 10

Possibility: showing flashes against better teams, while still struggling overall

Consistency: regularly refreshing talent, picking off all (or almost all) of your FCS and G5 opponents, regular bowl appearances.

The past three coaches never made the leap from futility to possibility (in fact Gill took us backwards into futility). From what I've seen this year I'm hoping next year will see us firmly in the possibility phase. Some might argue we hit that criterion in 2019 but I'm going to hold my vote on that. An upset of Baylor would likely change my mind...would be our first year with multiple conference wins since 2008. I just threw up a little typing that last bit.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

HenrySwanson wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:27 pm I see three phases of rebuilding:

Futility: spinning your wheels and featuring regularly in the ESPN bottom 10

Possibility: showing flashes against better teams, while still struggling overall

Consistency: regularly refreshing talent, picking off all (or almost all) of your FCS and G5 opponents, regular bowl appearances.

The past three coaches never made the leap from futility to possibility (in fact Gill took us backwards into futility). From what I've seen this year I'm hoping next year will see us firmly in the possibility phase. Some might argue we hit that criterion in 2019 but I'm going to hold my vote on that. An upset of Baylor would likely change my mind...would be our first year with multiple conference wins since 2008. I just threw up a little typing that last bit.

This guy gets it
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

One can harbor all one's accumulated frustration since Mangino left, but this staff and team doesn't own that pack of futility. They didn't make manifestly bad recruiting choices for yrs and yrs and yrs, or pass out in the office, or lay down in games they should have fought to win.

They haven't even finished their first season together, for Pete's sake.

All of the crummy records and lack of conny wins don't belong to them. Compartmentalize that sh*t.

They've made a lot of progress this year. They must know it. I think I do, too.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

And I would certainly hope that ALL of them knew what they were getting themselves into when they joined. I don’t care if I we got Nick Saban himself. Even he would have been up against the same daunting task.
We can debate all we want but if the season was to end today I would assume that 99% of the remaining KU football fans would feel like the 2019 took a step forward and not back.
Once the Baylor game ends, IMO the real season begins. Crootin, figuring out who is in and who is out and off season workouts.
Holidaysmore - 2005
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

We have a GOOD team.

Tough year, fans. It's hard hard work to make a team.

RCJHKU!
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

A larger conference would help. The Big XII structure makes it very hard to rebuild because you are continuously scouted and played every year. If Stanley could have been the BC guy every week, we would be talking bowl games and high fives.