That costs HOW much???

Coffee talk.
ChalkRocker

Re: That costs HOW much???

Post by ChalkRocker »

Insulin, apparently.
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Of course there is that feeling of paying all that money and not ever using/needing the benefits, but that's also kind of what insurance is--although, it's overpriced.

I have a variety of relationships with insurance companies and the scummiest/scammiest part is when you actually try to use the benefits and make a claim.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

well, if you DO use or need the benefits, get ready to pay even more.

hell yea it's overpriced. The only thing I spend more on on an annual basis is rent. Except I actually use my apartment regularly. Insurance is literally just as much, and it's not even for a product or service I actively use. It's just in case.

and again, if I do use it, it's not like I've paid it forward. That's even more out of pocket -- and all assuming insurance doesn't try to wiggle their way out of covering it.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Politics bored.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:03 am well, if you DO use or need the benefits, get ready to pay even more.

hell yea it's overpriced. The only thing I spend more on on an annual basis is rent. Except I actually use my apartment regularly. Insurance is literally just as much, and it's not even for a product or service I actively use. It's just in case.

and again, if I do use it, it's not like I've paid it forward. That's even more out of pocket -- and all assuming insurance doesn't try to wiggle their way out of covering it.
If you want to know why things are that way, go take a look at any primary care physician's waiting room. I went to the doctor last month for the first time in almost twenty years because I came down with the shingles due to having to work three jobs and never getting any time off.

I was blown away by what I walked into - something like the mutant cantina in Star Wars - full of morbidly obese individuals who have abused their bodies for years by eating like crap, smoking, drinking, refusing to exercise, and blowing what money they do have on stupid stuff. Then, when their health goes down the toilet, they expect miracles to happen.

To make matters worse, most of them don't even have regular insurance, which means they are letting us foot the bill through Medicaid and Medicare, and are also the idiots who show up in the Emergency Room with a sore throat and then skip out on the bill. The upshot is that people like me, who exercise five or six times per week and watch their diet to maintain a healthy weight end up getting screwed.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

FWIW, I was really not talking about health insurance, although I knew ousdahl was, and some of this stuff crosses fields.

On a professional level, I only work with health insurance companies on a tangential level, so don't know as much about the sausage making over there.

Certainly, as fish stated, if we want to get into why healthcare costs in this country are what they are, the proper jurisdiction is the politics bored, where I don't go.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:21 amPolitics bored.
Sorry, didn’t intend that as political. Just a discussion, in the spirit of the thread, about an expense that costs HOW much??
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I mean, I brought it up, so I'll take the stern looks.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Two food-related entries:

* Salad bars. Somehow I always end up with like 1.5 pounds of salad, and I don't even like dressing.

* Hotel breakfast. How in the blue hell is a Continental (read: cold) Breakfast $28???
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Eating healthy in general.

Crap, here we go w/ the healthcare/politics bored again.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Molecular Biological Research.

I mean, I get it, a specific piece of highly engineered equipment is going to be expensive like a fluorescent microscope, especially since it's not produced in high volume. I get why that's expensive, it's other shit.

Sigma Aldrich is the company I buy most chemicals from. If I want to buy sucrose from them, it's $111 for 1 kg (which is 2.2 lbs). Sucrose is table sugar, which you can buy from a store for about $1.50/lb. But depending on the grant, going to the supermarket to get something can force you to jump through a bunch of hoops, etc. whereas purchasing from an approved vendor (simga) couldn't be easier.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:34 am Child support. $1,200 a month for one 16 year-old so his mom can sit at home all but twenty hours per week, live in a nicer house and drive a nicer car than you and still tell the kid every time he needs car insurance, new basketball shoes, or a laptop, “Ask your dad.” Oh, and you also get to spend every other weekend with him, unless Mom decides they are “too busy”.
When the welfare system that feeds "independent women" runs out of money, that will be a glorious day. Sorry to hear about this.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Holy balls, lol.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Y'all can treat me like the oracle at Delphi, if you like.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

To revive thread--

It's funny how it seems that coffee is either free or $5.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:56 pm To revive thread--

It's funny how it seems that coffee is either free or $5.
I will say - I am not a fancy coffee-based- or coffee-adjacent-drink person, but it's unquestionable that $4.60 for a Grande Whipped Hazelnut Somethingorother is a much better value than $3.80 for black coffee.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

If you don’t want to pay for the kids, don’t have the kids. You worthless piece of $#!t.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:27 pm If you don’t want to pay for the kids, don’t have the kids. You worthless piece of $#!t.
Who are you talking to?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:29 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:27 pm If you don’t want to pay for the kids, don’t have the kids. You worthless piece of $#!t.
Who are you talking to?
All I wanted was to give a trite, smarmy coffee take, jeez.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

lobster wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:33 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:34 am Child support. $1,200 a month for one 16 year-old so his mom can sit at home all but twenty hours per week, live in a nicer house and drive a nicer car than you and still tell the kid every time he needs car insurance, new basketball shoes, or a laptop, “Ask your dad.” Oh, and you also get to spend every other weekend with him, unless Mom decides they are “too busy”.
When the welfare system that feeds "independent women" runs out of money, that will be a glorious day. Sorry to hear about this.
Precisely. I have no issue with paying my half, or better yet, getting residential custody, but when you purposely don’t work so I have to support your lifestyle, it strains credulity. People who don’t have enough self-respect to pull their own weight make me sick.