Totally random thread

Coffee talk.
TDub
Contributor

Re: Totally random thread

Post by TDub »

HouseDivided wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:26 pm My two most annoying and most frequently-encountered malapropisms:

Carmel when one actually means caramel
Calvary when one actually means cavalry

Both make me want to flick someone off when I hear them used.
And those are more mispronunciation than malapropisms right?

Carmel is only a pronoun, so that doesbt really count. And calvary has something to do with displaying jesus on the cross correct? No one is confusing those two words they are just mispronouncing them and there happens to be another word that fits that mispronunciation.

One I heard the other day. "Went down the beach out there on the specific ocean" ah, no kidding, that specific one huh? Not the other ocean off the west coast?
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I like how British peeps pronounce aluminum.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Alooomanyem
Just Ledoux it
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

TDub wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:17 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:26 pm My two most annoying and most frequently-encountered malapropisms:

Carmel is only a pronoun, so that doesbt really count. And calvary has something to do with displaying jesus on the cross correct? No one is confusing those two words they are just mispronouncing them and there happens to be another word that fits that mispronunciation.

One I heard the other day. "Went down the beach out there on the specific ocean" ah, no kidding, that specific one huh? Not the other ocean off the west coast?
Probably mispronunciations, yes. Worst example for me was listening to the audio version of Bill O'Reilly's "Killing Patton," where, for seven hours, O'Reilly - a Harvard educated man, by the way - read his own book and repeatedly referred to Patton's Army unit as the 15th "Calvary". I honestly considered rupturing my own eardrums at one point.
Last edited by HouseDivided on Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

anemone

arctic
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TDub wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:11 pm

I'm guilty of Carmel. I know its technically "wrong" but I cant stand when people say Ker uh mel.
Me two
Broham
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Fellow Catholics: It's gree-vus, NOT gree-vee-us.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:58 am Fellow Catholics: It's gree-vus, NOT gree-vee-us.
Also, it is "O night divine," not "O night dee-vine"
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mrs 99 bought a Ninja Foodi. Stoopid name, works pretty well. Did wings for the game. Not as crispy as fried but good enough and the mess was minimal.

Chuck roast in now.
Broham
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:38 am Man, so I randomly had to flick a guy off.

I’ve always had a personal policy against it, and don’t like putting negative energy into the universe, but it just sort of happened as a necessarily reaction.

I was going straight through an intersection when a big SUV with plates from you know where tried to turn left and almost hit me. I had to swerve to avoid a collision, and honked to make him aware I was there. He locks them up and just lays on the horn. Now he’s awkwardly stopped across the middle of the intersection. I work to get around him. As I do he’s still blasting the horn and now giving me a death glare, as if *I* am the one doing something wrong.

Motherfucker I have the right of way! This is where you’re supposed to mouth “sorry” and sheepishly wave. Since humility is apparently not an option, here’s a one finger salute. Peace out y’all.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:45 am

Probably mispronunciations, yes. Worst example for me was listening to the audio version of Bill O'Reilly's "Killing Patton," where, for seven hours, O'Reilly - a Harvard educated man, by the way - read his own book and repeatedly referred to Patton's Army unit as the 15th "Calvary". I honestly considered rupturing my own eardrums at one point.
Interesting, considering listening to any audio book by Bill O'Reilly is considered "rupturing your eardrums" by most of society.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:39 pm

Interesting, considering listening to any audio book by Bill O'Reilly is considered "rupturing your eardrums" by most of society.
I commute a couple of hours per day, I don’t care much for music, I need to feel like I’m accomplishing something/learning something with my time, and I enjoy biographies. There was mercifully little political content in it. I’ve actually listened to his entire “Killing” series. Not great; not terrible.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:45 pm

I commute a couple of hours per day, I don’t care much for music, I need to feel like I’m accomplishing something/learning something with my time, and I enjoy biographies. There was mercifully little political content in it. I’ve actually listened to his entire “Killing” series. Not great; not terrible.
Check out the Hardcore History podcast. That'll kill a few hours. Very informative and entertaining. WWI was excellent.
Broham
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:52 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:45 pm

Check out the Hardcore History podcast. That'll kill a few hours. Very informative and entertaining. WWI was excellent.
Love that one! I haven’t listened to the ones on WWI yet. Good stuff, though.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

"Slow Burn" has a great podcast on the Clinton impeachment - I want to say 16-17 parts. Really killed a drive from Boston to Chicago.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I don’t care much for music,

Wut?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:56 pm I don’t care much for music,

Wut?
Grew up being forced to take lessons on multiple instruments. While other kids were sleeping, I was rolled out of bed two hours early so I could practice before school. After ten years, I finally got old enough to quit, and realized I lost most of my enjoyment of music along the way. I listen while I work out, and that’s about it for me. I’m sure that makes me a sociopath of some sort.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

That's the saddest thing I ever heard.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

^^^^
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

There are only going to be 3 of us for Christmas this year, Mrs 99, youngest kid and me. I'm doing a low key dinner, not going all out but I want something nice. I procrastinate until lunchtime today and head out to Kroger. Parking lot is too full for me to even get in. Ok, no problem, I'll go the bigger one a little farther away.

I'm not familiar with this one, can't find anything. Takes an hour and half to get everything. Get in line to check out and the lady in front of me is having trouble with her card. Finally ends up paying in cash. My turn, finally. Young lady rings everything up, I run my debit card and the thingie says, "Not Authorized". Young lady says, "Yeah, that's been happening with debit cards today." I offer to run my credit card. It comes back the same. Young lady disappears for a minute and suggests I slide it rather than using the chip reader. Both cards say that I must use the chip reader. I'm shrugging my shoulders and ask how am I going to pay for this. Young lady has a blank stare, no apology, no signs of life. I say, "Well, you're going to have to put this stuff back then." "Ok, have a nice day."
Broham