Mjl

Rise of Skywalker (spoilers)

Post by Mjl »

Thoughts?

Several things really bothered me...
Deleted User 104

Re: Rise of Skywalker (spoilers)

Post by Deleted User 104 »

I've been warning that it's not good for a while...

Things I've noticed about this trilogy:

-Throwing endless "surprises" into a story does not equal good writing
-Rey is super boring as she has no struggle in her journey and is basically a God in all three films
-None of the other new characters memorable either due to poor writing
-Kathleen Kennedy and Disney hate men
-Anyone can be a Skywalker now
-Palpatine was only brought back because Rian Johnson f-d up SW so bad
-John Williams music is probably the biggest positive thing in the new trilogy
-Rise of Skywalker basically destroys the whole first 6 episodes, making Luke and Anakin's story obsolete
-There was no explanation for how Palpatine survived

I refuse to acknowledge these films as official canon and I hope Kennedy is fired or resigns.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I think JJ was too concerned about giving fans little things they wanted, while leaving the story unimaginative. Everything seemed to go about as you'd expect.
Only having three quick lines from Vader/Annakin wasn't enough - if you're ending the Skywalker saga, youneed to have more of him.
The last scene should have had the entire force-aware Skywalker family, not just Luke and Leia. There was an opportunity for an awesome moment there that was wasted.
The kiss - awful. Makes everything else weird. Just leave it as a relationship of mutual respect.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We saw it yesterday. I liked fine. Not the greatest movie ever. It's no Roadhouse.

The family thing ties up pretty nicely. Lot's of shit blowing up. Pretty cool to see women get hero roles. I thought the same sex kiss I'd hears so much about was going to be Poe and Finn.
Broham
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jhawks99 wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:24 am We saw it yesterday. I liked fine. Not the greatest movie ever. It's no Roadhouse.

The family thing ties up pretty nicely. Lot's of shit blowing up. Pretty cool to see women get hero roles. I thought the same sex kiss I'd hears so much about was going to be Poe and Finn.
I actually don't agree that the family thing ties up nicely. If JJ wasn't so obsessed with undoing what Rian Johnson did, he could have made it work. Don't make Rey a Palpatine, keep her a nobody, and it's fine if she takes the Skywalker name.

I like the female hero role, but the kiss with Kylo diminished that a bit. Not every male protagonist has a love interest - it would have been nice to see that here with a female protagonist.

And the whole family thing would have tied up better if Annakin and Kylo would have been with Luke and Leia in the last scene. It's called The Rise of Skywalker - have all the dead Skywalker heroes together.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Watched it today. Thought it was pretty good and probably the best of the most recent trilogy. I don't mind the Palpatine angle. Kiss was definitely a bit cheesy, but it falls in line with the rest of the franchise.

I enjoyed the most recent trilogy, but to be fair, I don't think the original trilogy or the prequel trilogy were good movies either. They're all C+/B- movies for me. Enjoyable, but not great cinema by any stretch.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

My only complaint was Rey posing like the Rock in the desert.
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I guess 99 didn’t smell what Rey was cookin.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Female heroes don't cook.
Broham
Deleted User 104

Originally the film was going to be 4 hours long. That would have been too much for a theatre release, unless they split it into two parts. There was so much deleted footage of Anakin Skywalker, Han Solo and Luke that didn't make into the final film. Will they release it on DVD? I doubt it.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

lobster wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:10 am I've been warning that it's not good for a while...

-Rey is super boring as she has no struggle in her journey and is basically a God in all three films
-Rise of Skywalker basically destroys the whole first 6 episodes, making Luke and Anakin's story obsolete

I refuse to acknowledge these films as official canon and I hope Kennedy is fired or resigns.
Is it as much of a radical feminist propaganda vehicle as I assumed it would be?
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 104

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:50 pm
lobster wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:10 am I've been warning that it's not good for a while...

Is it as much of a radical feminist propaganda vehicle as I assumed it would be?
Not as obvious as Last Jedi was in that regard. The biggest problems with ROS is that the story suffers in so many ridiculous ways.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Yes, the movie has strong, competent female leads. Very scary for the likes of lobs and psych.
Broham
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:48 pm Yes, the movie has strong, competent female leads. Very scary for the likes of lobs and psych.
Scary? No. Trite and ridiculous? Yup.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Tom-AY-to, Tom-Ah-to
Broham
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:59 pm Tom-AY-to, Tom-Ah-to
You betcha!
Deleted User 104

jhawks99 wrote: Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:48 pm Yes, the movie has strong, competent female leads. Very scary for the likes of lobs and psych.
Um... Princess Leia was a strong female lead. Ripley from Aliens was a strong female lead. I really liked both of these characters because they actually had a story.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

The horror!
Deleted User 104

Just as predicted, it's made less money than The Last Jedi. It's time to find another job for Kathleen Kennedy.