Iraqi militiamen breach U.S. embassy

Ugh.
Deleted User 295

Re: Iraqi militiamen breach U.S. embassy

Post by Deleted User 295 »

Uh no?

Were there Americans on that plane that I'm unaware of?...and I've only seen reports of it being unintentional.
Last edited by Deleted User 295 on Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Mjl wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:11 pm So, the consensus appears to be that Iran intentionally shot the plane down? So if we figure out who gave the order to do so, would the correct move right now be for the US to assassinate that person?
Havent seen that. Ive seen that it was unintentional.

If it was intentional there is nore than one person responsible and yes there should be some ramifications for that action. Would need more information to agree with or not agree with the type of retribution.
Just Ledoux it
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

bELovEd hERo!

tO geEzER

Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

TDub wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:41 pm
Mjl wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:11 pm So, the consensus appears to be that Iran intentionally shot the plane down? So if we figure out who gave the order to do so, would the correct move right now be for the US to assassinate that person?

If it was intentional there is nore than one person responsible and yes there should be some ramifications for that action. Would need more information to agree with or not agree with the type of retribution.
I suppose it's the hypothetical that interests me then. If it was intentional, what should Troudeau (given the number of Canadian casualties) do? Should he strike the ones responsible for the decision?

The hypothetical takes us back to right before we hit Suleimani. Is there an alternative to assassinating someone when you know that it could result in innocent people's deaths, even if you're morally in the right and the other is morally wrong? The Hague? The UN?

For the same reason that I give Trump tremendous credit for not escalating things further yet imposing penalties via sanctions, I wonder if he could have prevented all those deaths by taking those de-escalation steps earlier. And I don't think saying he could have prevented them is equivalent to saying he is responsible for them.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Well that hypothetical is assuming a lot considering the last thing i read cited Rouhani as admitting "human error" for the downing of the plane.

In your hypothetical i think there is a whole other set of variables and scenarios that would have to be defined to be discussed. At a minimum I think it would swing any support from the world away from Iran which would make it easier to enforce penalties and sanctions. Make it easier to coordinate efforts to block Iran feom controlling the strait, and potentially allow for a coordinated world effort in removing the regime at that point.
Last edited by TDub on Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

IF, in your hypothetical scenario, it WAS intentional that is a purely terrorist act carried out by the regime which would need to be addressed as such and dealt with accordingly.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Mjl wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:08 am
TDub wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:41 pm

I suppose it's the hypothetical that interests me then. If it was intentional, what should Troudeau (given the number of Canadian casualties) do? Should he strike the ones responsible for the decision?

The hypothetical takes us back to right before we hit Suleimani. Is there an alternative to assassinating someone when you know that it could result in innocent people's deaths, even if you're morally in the right and the other is morally wrong? The Hague? The UN?

For the same reason that I give Trump tremendous credit for not escalating things further yet imposing penalties via sanctions, I wonder if he could have prevented all those deaths by taking those de-escalation steps earlier. And I don't think saying he could have prevented them is equivalent to saying he is responsible for them.
apparently, there were a number of alternative options laid out before the president, and surprise, surprise...this is the one he chose
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

I'm so sorry for your loss.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:51 pm bELovEd hERo!

tO geEzER

Deleted User 295

Dems more mad than the Iranian people?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:39 am Dems more mad than the Iranian people?
That’s a bingo!
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:39 am Dems more mad than the Iranian people?
It's almost as if in a country of 81 million people that there are differences of opinions about him. Finding examples of those differences doesnt mean that the originally reported ones were fake or not true.

No one reported that every single person in Iran loved the guy.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:39 am
That’s a bingo!
This is beyond ignorant. Come on.
Deleted User 295

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:44 am
It's almost as if in a country of 81 million people that there are differences of opinions about him. Finding examples of those differences doesnt mean that the originally reported ones were fake or not true.

Do you know anything about this guy and his history? Just curious....I didn't know he even existed until this happened. I've got a funny feeling you were in the same boat.

Want to complain about how trump went about this (by not getting some sort of authorization from congress) then I'm right there with you. He messed up by deciding this somewhat on his own.....congress would have approved taking this guy out if he'd have given them the chance to give him the go ahead.

But defending this guy as if he's not a terrible person quickly identifies you as someone who is only against this because you're against ALL things Trump and will be outraged by ANYTHING he does.
Deleted User 295

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:47 am
That’s a bingo!
Unfortunately it's not. Some of you have gone off the deep end the last 3 years since trump was elected.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:47 am
That’s a bingo!
What else would expect from these 2?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:53 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:44 am

Do you know anything about this guy and his history? Just curious....I didn't know he even existed until this happened. I've got a funny feeling you were in the same boat.

Want to complain about how trump went about this (by not getting some sort of authorization from congress) then I'm right there with you. He messed up by deciding this somewhat on his own.....congress would have approved taking this guy out if he'd have given them the chance to give him the go ahead.

But defending this guy as if he's not a terrible person quickly identifies you as someone who is only against this because you're against ALL things Trump and will be outraged by ANYTHING he does.
I did no such thing. I did not say anything positive or negative about him AT ALL. You just changed reality to justify your enjoyment of trying to criticize me.
Deleted User 295

Isn't that twocoach101?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:31 pm Isn't that twocoach101?
Isn't that "Illy101?"
Deleted User 295

chiknbut wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:58 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:31 pm Isn't that twocoach101?
Isn't that "Illy101?"
I'll PM you the syllabus for Illy101.