Pet dog?

Coffee talk.
DrPepper

Pet dog?

Post by DrPepper »

I’ve been thinking about getting a dog. My neighbor got a little doodle-something about a year ago and I’m jealous. Now they are moving away, so I can no longer just enjoy his dog on my schedule and his expense.

He said that the breeder dog shaming stuff is endless with some people, but that he is still happy with his decision. His standard comeback to people with kids is to ask why they didn’t adopt a child rather pick out a good parent to breed with. That seems a bit brutal, but I get his point. Dogs are family for many and not a short-term commitment.

Thoughts? A super smart, non-shedding pup sounds pretty good. I’ve not been a dog owner before.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Pet dog?

Post by Shirley »

One word: high maintenance.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Thoughts?

why they didn’t adopt a child rather pick out a good parent to breed with POTD

For real good thread. I’m curious about the same sorta dog to recommend to my parents in lieu of grandkids.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I like dogs. I encourage you to check out a shelter and see if you find one you like. No judgement if you decide not to.
Broham
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

We have two doodles. My oldest is allergic to dogs and had problems with our lab. No problems with the doodles.

One is a shi-poo (Shih Tzu-poodle cross). The other is a Newdle (or a Newfi-poo, if you prefer; a Newfoundland-poodle cross). Both are great dogs, but the Newfie is much, much smarter and much more playful. He is about 85 lbs., though, and they can (obviously) get much bigger.

Despite the allergies, we tried to adopt twice. The first one was a little multi-breed mix that hid under our sofa and wouldn't come out (and had to go back). And the second bit me (and drew blood) as I was putting his new collar on him AT THE HUMANE SOCIETY (and we had two toddlers in the house).

The point, I guess, is that it's nice to try to adopt, but you gotta do what's best for your family.

Having had big dogs (Bernese Mtn. Dog), medium dogs (labs, Newfi-poo) and small dogs (Cavalier King Charles, Shi-poo), I'd take big over little any day. Also, having non-shedding dogs is a revelation. It's like upgrading from hand-washing to a dishwasher. They do the same job, but one just makes everything that much easier.

Biggest consideration for first time owners: travel. No one wants to watch your dog for you -- no matter what they say. Either find a kennel you like or plan on taking it with you.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’ve got a 110lb German Shepard mix (roughly 50% Shepard, 25% Lab, 12.5% Pitbull, 12.5% Mastiff) that’s fantastic. Smart, playful, loyal, protective, obedient and an absolute lush. He sheds a lot, so that’s the downside. Everyone loves him.

Get a dog. They’re better than humans in a lot of ways.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Feral wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:48 pm One word: high maintenance.
^^^^^^^
but so worth it for some of us

we’ve got two, one an adopted red heeler mix and the other a full blue heeler

i’m a huge advocate of adopting, but it really comes down to what you want. it’s an enormous time and emotional commitment, and i can definitely understand the pros and cons of going both routes...buying from a breeder or buying from a shelter (adoption fees, while completely justified, are often several hundred dollars)
Deleted User 89

Cascadia wrote: Get a dog. They’re better than humans in a lot of ways.
^^^^^
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Showing this thread to my parents.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

I think I want a Schnoodle (50:50 schnauzer:poodle). Both parents are smart and non-shedding dogs and available in every size option you would want. Im thinking about 30-50 lbs.
The Schnoodle is loyal like the Schnauzer and fun-loving like the Poodle. Like his Schnauzer parent, a Schnoodle has a protective nature and makes a good watchdog. Like his Poodle parent, he's smart and affectionate.
Deleted User 89

i’d be leery of supposed size classes, but am admittedly unfamiliar with that mix
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Thanks for the input on size. I feel like if I'm going to do this, I'm not going tiny. Rather, something at least medium-sized.
I've found a breeder that looks really good (not a puppy mill, but specializes only in the poodles, schnauzers, and Schnoodles).

Yea, we've also started a list of names. I like ”Astro”. Maybe I put a deposit down and plan on picking one up after our summer travel.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Dude get a real dog like a boxer. I could never open a poodle or doodle.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

DrPepper wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:15 pm Thanks for the input on size. I feel like if I'm going to do this, I'm not going tiny. Rather, something at least medium-sized.
I've found a breeder that looks really good (not a puppy mill, but specializes only in the poodles, schnauzers, and Schnoodles).

Yea, we've also started a list of names. I like ”Astro”. Maybe I put a deposit down and plan on picking one up after our summer travel.
Schnauzers are an awesome, underappreciated breed. When the kids are older, that's my choice.

Like tradition said, though, be leery about size expectations. Our 85 lb. guy COULD have been as big as 150 or so. The cross breeding introduces a certain amount of uncertainty.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Bigger dogs are the way to go. Im not a fan of the doodles but i have family that swears by them. Cant beat golden retrievers for my money, especially around kids, my kids can put their hands in the bowl whole theyre eating and no worries (not that i would recommend that and not that i would encourage it) a lot of dogs thats a no go. But, the great pyrenees is growing on me, hes a good dog.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

DrPepper wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:15 pm Thanks for the input on size. I feel like if I'm going to do this, I'm not going tiny. Rather, something at least medium-sized.

I lived with a miniature schnauzer from the day I was brought home from the hospital as an infant until I was 16 years old. She was an incredibly sweet, generally calm, and good natured dog. Playful when prompted but just fine being left alone (not bothered).
As far as poodles, I believe they tend to be a little more hyper/high energy than a miniature schnauzer but obviously all dogs are different.
Not sure what if anything specifically you're looking for but my guess is a schnoodle might be the best of both worlds. I'm jealous and would love to get a dog of my own. Can't do it at this time.
Good luck with your search!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:57 pm We have two doodles. My oldest is allergic to dogs and had problems with our lab. No problems with the doodles.

One is a shi-poo (Shih Tzu-poodle cross). The other is a Newdle (or a Newfi-poo, if you prefer; a Newfoundland-poodle cross). Both are great dogs, but the Newfie is much, much smarter and much more playful. He is about 85 lbs., though, and they can (obviously) get much bigger.

Despite the allergies, we tried to adopt twice. The first one was a little multi-breed mix that hid under our sofa and wouldn't come out (and had to go back). And the second bit me (and drew blood) as I was putting his new collar on him AT THE HUMANE SOCIETY (and we had two toddlers in the house).

The point, I guess, is that it's nice to try to adopt, but you gotta do what's best for your family.

Having had big dogs (Bernese Mtn. Dog), medium dogs (labs, Newfi-poo) and small dogs (Cavalier King Charles, Shi-poo), I'd take big over little any day. Also, having non-shedding dogs is a revelation. It's like upgrading from hand-washing to a dishwasher. They do the same job, but one just makes everything that much easier.

Biggest consideration for first time owners: travel. No one wants to watch your dog for you -- no matter what they say. Either find a kennel you like or plan on taking it with you.
Solid advice right here. The best dog ever is a Bernese Mtn. Dog, but you're lucky if you get 10 years out of them. But it will be a great 10 years.

I'm partial to mutts. The two I've had have been the greatest dogs ever.

And as for this: "He said that the breeder dog shaming stuff is endless with some people, but that he is still happy with his decision. His standard comeback to people with kids is to ask why they didn’t adopt a child rather pick out a good parent to breed with." - Fuck that guy.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, I might have mentioned it in the kids thread, but my homie’s wife is pushing HARD to have a kid. She tries to prop herself up and declare “because it’s the most selfless thing you could ever do!,” as if she’s on some crusade of virtue.

I always shrugged it off, until one day, she came at me with accusations of being self-ISH cuz I don’t want kids.

So I couldn’t help but ask, homegirl if your end game is selflessness, why not adopt? Or go volunteer at an orphanage? Or start a foster home or something? Are you really being that selfless if you only want one that looks like you?

*crickets*

But I know I can be kind of a smartass about it, so whatev.

And from now on homeboy has a hard time getting permission from the wife to hang out with me, lol
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

My hound and I go everywhere together. If I didn’t have the walks to clear things up, I’d be in real poor shape. Or none at all.

My kids never learned love before their pup. They are born into it from parents and family. They are in love around the clock now. Learn and share so many emotions through the care and relationship formed. And hearts filled for all, creates a commonality for all, and tighter family bond.
I am, I said.