Pet dog?

Coffee talk.
ChalkRocker

Re: Pet dog?

Post by ChalkRocker »

DrPepper wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:15 pm
Yea, we've also started a list of names. I like ”Astro”.

You're gonna name it after a bunch of frickin* cheaters?!!
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Soklous wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:11 pm My hound and I go everywhere together. If I didn’t have the walks to clear things up, I’d be in real poor shape. Or none at all.

My kids never learned love before their pup. They are born into it from parents and family. They are in love around the clock now. Learn and share so many emotions through the care and relationship formed. And hearts filled for all, creates a commonality for all, and tighter family bond.
Whenever I feel like I might be too callous a person, I remember the fact my parents forbade pets growing up.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

We have three dogs, all are mutts that came from a shelter but my wife likes to get the DNA tests to see what they are. Mostly they look like what the DNA says. We have a 13 year old Catahoula/American bulldog mix. Very even tempered smart dog but Catahoulas are buttheads. You have to be firm and let them know who's boss or they just do whatever they want, when they want. He is the "office dog" and spends every weekday in the office. When I am gone for a week my admin asks the dog sitter to drop him off at least one day so everyone gets their fix of Zeroh. The office is much calmer place when Z is wandering around checking on everyone and sharing his good spirits. We have a 7 year old Dutch Shepherd/Bernese/Aussie Shepherd mix. She is smart/fast/devious but too angsty. She can't go to the office because she is too nervous and we had to switch all of the hardware in our house from levers to knobs because she figured out how to open the doors and let herself and the other dogs out whenever she was in the mood. My wife loves Stella but says if a dog has Aussie in it she won't get another, Stella spends a lot of her nights herding the two cats around the house in the dark. Because the office dog is 13 we got a pup to intern at the office so he can take over at the office when Zeroh's days are up. He is a Anatolian Shepherd/boxer/husky/mastiff mix. He looks mostly Anatolian but talks like a husky. My wife hates basketball but always lights up when she hears the name Udoka come from the screen. So she named him Udoka and everyone calls him Dok. When we got him he looked like a 25 pound baked potato with legs. The other two dogs are good sized standing about 25 inches at the shoulder and they weigh about 65-70 pounds. Dok took his name as a challenge I guess cuz he is three inches taller than the other two and pushing 90 pounds at one year and seems to be growing still. He is a fucking brute. I would not recommend an animal this big unless you are strong enough to handle them. Very good natured, he wrestles with Zeroh every night but defers to his elder and lets Zeroh win every contest. It sounds like a horse stampede when he runs though the office. The other day Dok was in the kennel/pen in the yard doing business (he produces more shit daily than the other two dogs combined) and I went to get him to bring him back in the house. He occasionally tries to bolt away from me and run around the neighborhood when we do this. I could see it in the bastard's eyes as I reached for the latch on the gate, he was gonna try and do it again. As I opened the gate and reached for his collar he shook his head and juked me and tried to bolt. I layed out and got his collar in one hand and other arm around his waist as he went by and we both went down in a heap but I rolled on top of him and stopped him. He just layed there and looked at me as if to say, "damn, that was rough". Me: "Yeah asshole, the ground is frozen, that hurt". We got up and went in the house and I felt like I just took on Derrick Henry on a short yardage play. He didn't test the line this morning, seemed like he had enough yesterday. So unless you are ready for that shit first thing in the morning, think twice about a really big dog.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

jfc

paragraphs and line breaks, please
ChalkRocker

Post by ChalkRocker »

my post was funny, right? ^^^^

The Astros cheat, get it?

shoot. nm...
Please, I implore you to be reasonable...
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ChalkRocker wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:40 pm my post was funny, right? ^^^^

The Astros cheat, get it?
I thought it was funny. But then, I think ousdahl is hilarious, at times.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:39 pm
Soklous wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:11 pm My hound and I go everywhere together. If I didn’t have the walks to clear things up, I’d be in real poor shape. Or none at all.

My kids never learned love before their pup. They are born into it from parents and family. They are in love around the clock now. Learn and share so many emotions through the care and relationship formed. And hearts filled for all, creates a commonality for all, and tighter family bond.
Whenever I feel like I might be too callous a person, I remember the fact my parents forbade pets growing up.
This is horrible. And maybe explains a bit.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

He should've just had an imaginary pet. Just like his imaginary roommate and his imaginary work stories.

;-)
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:17 am He should've just had an imaginary pet. Just like his imaginary roommate and his imaginary work stories.

;-)
I admit...I laughed.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

My wife has serious allergies with most dogs that have standard fur. So our two dogs are a Wheaten Terrier (about 50 pounds) and a new puppy that is a Shichin (half Shitzu and half Bichon Frise) who will be about 10-12 pounds.
We got both of them at reputable breeders recommended to us by friends.

Neither sheds at all. Neither bugs my wife's allergies at all. The Wheaten is beautiful but as a Terrier, she is pig headed and not smart. She was insane for her first 6 years and at 8, has finally slowed down a bit. She still destroys stuff in the house when she is mad at us for leaving (mostly kid toys) but it's a little better.

The puppy is sweet but also dumb and not that great at house training. I really wish my wife's allergies could tolerate a lab. I miss having smart dogs.

Love them both. My only gripe about dog ownership in general is the expense of when you leave town. Boarding your dogs can add up quick.
Deleted User 89

a dog that only gets ~10 lbs is really just a step removed from being a cat
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:33 pm a dog that only gets ~10 lbs is really just a step removed from being a cat
^^^

Derek Cressman
Deleted User 89

i thought twocoach was a dude!?!?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

My rule of thumb for dogs is he’s gotta at least be big enough to hold his own against a coyote.

Also all dogs are boys and all cats are girls.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

As long as it's a schnauzer-poodle mix and not a golden doodle. My veterinarian friend says they've managed to combine the worst traits of each breed. I have two 35 pound rescues, one an Airedale and something something terrier who barks a lot and was an insane puppy, but finds snakes and points out the poisonous ones. Kills the others. He's also Houdini Dog, inclined to try to get out of the yard, the house to roam the neighborhood, looking for cats, snakes and mice.

The other is the most introverted, scared of his shadow border collie you've ever seen, but a sweet, sweet boy. Have had golden retrievers and they are wonderful, too. I love the Native American folktale that says when the Great Spirit caused a giant crevasse in the earth that separated Man from the animals, Dog jumped over at the last minute to be with Man.
Don't inject Lysol.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

We have a Jack Russel mixed with something. We think she's about 10. We got her from a shelter. I've been told that this is a breed that barks a lot. This is the quietest dog we've ever had. She barks a little when someone comes to the door but that's it. All of our neighbors have little yappy dogs that go nuts when they see her. She ignores them. Like Seahawk's boarder collie, she's very timid unless she knows you, then she super affectionate.
Broham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

My buddy turned 11 today. Celebrated with a steak, blueberries and half a coors light, his favorites. It will be very hard to let him go when the time comes, best dog I've ever known.
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:33 pm a dog that only gets ~10 lbs is really just a step removed from being a cat
Except she doesn't hate us. I was fully against getting a tiny dog so that's why we started with a 50 pound Wheaten but I have enjoyed it way more than I expected. It makes me nervous to have her under my feet but I am figuring out how to move around more carefully.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:50 pm i thought twocoach was a dude!?!?
With a wife and two daughters, yes. I got to pick the first one, my wife got to pick the second one.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:32 am
TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:50 pm i thought twocoach was a dude!?!?
With a wife and two daughters, yes. I got to pick the first one, my wife got to pick the second one.
How does one "pick" their daughters?
Derek Cressman