Solo competitions

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Solo competitions

Post by ousdahl »

I suppose this could go on the other sports bored but figured it would get more action here.

Who does or has done any sort of competitive event? A race or a triathlon or something?

I signed up for an XC ski race, and I’m pumped. Never really done anything like it.

When was the last time you got injured from pushing yourself too hard athletically? I pulled a muscle last night, and it paradoxically feels so good.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Solo competitions

Post by Shirley »

I used to ride in mountain bike races, including 12 and 24 hour ones.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Nice!

I did this bike triathlon of sorts a few years back. Got to borrow a friend’s sweet enduro bike, cuz mine is otherwise a single speed. It’s incredible how much faster I was with more than one gear.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Used to do triathlons back in the day. Loved the swimming and biking. Loathed the running. Transitioned over to CrossFit and ended up being almost perpetually injured to one degree or another. Now I lift weights on my own and do DDP Yoga on my recovery days.

Have just recently started dabbling in Reflexive Performance Reset, which is a nervous system prefab program. Has helped a lot with injuries and improved lifts and mobility.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Tons of piano competitions, and way back in the day, a couple golf and chess tournaments. Randomly, also some table tennis tournaments.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

HouseDivided wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:15 amTransitioned over to CrossFit and ended up being almost perpetually injured to one degree or another.
CrossFit is a client. That's where I'll stop and you can speculate from there . . .
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:35 am
HouseDivided wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:15 amTransitioned over to CrossFit and ended up being almost perpetually injured to one degree or another.
CrossFit is a client. That's where I'll stop and you can speculate from there . . .
Rogue?
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Rip's 3 takeaways about CF:

CrossFit has done an incredibly good job at popularizing tough training using barbells.

CrossFit is fine "Exercise" but it's not "Training". The undoubtedly impressive CrossFit Games athletes don't use CrossFit programming.

There are good and bad CrossFit coaches, but the certification farm CrossFit has become often produces more bad than good.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

DCHawk1 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:20 am
Rip's 3 takeaways about CF:

CrossFit has done an incredibly good job at popularizing tough training using barbells.

CrossFit is fine "Exercise" but it's not "Training". The undoubtedly impressive CrossFit Games athletes don't use CrossFit programming.

There are good and bad CrossFit coaches, but the certification farm CrossFit has become often produces more bad than good.
All absolutely true. CrossFit’s selling point early on was that the right type and volume of exercise could make anyone an elite athlete. Over time, it has become apparent that you also need to be a physiological freak.

Rich Froning subsisted on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and whole milk and worked out three times per day. Your average schlub at the local box works out once a day and painstakingly counts macros on a starvation diet. Froning is ripped, schlub is a slightly skinnier version of the dad-bod guy sitting next to you at your kids’ ballgame.

I enjoy being pushed and having structure, but I’m stronger and have better body comp working out on my own. I’m also not in pain all the time. I do miss the community, though.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

Running the Houston Marathon in a month...did the Colfax in Denver earlier this year.
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I won an adult spelling bee at a bar a few years ago.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

55th overall, out of 172 racers. 32 didn’t finish.

2nd in my age group.

1st among racers who never touched a pair of Nordic skis until they were 30 cuz they grew up in Kansas.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

nice
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah I feel good.

Most of the racers ahead of me were college team skiers in their super serious skin tight school unis. Those cats are all in freaky shape. But I managed to pass more folks than let folks pass me, including several college racers. Big time win for a first time solo competitor.

Even Bruce Weber texted to congratulate my winning the play hard chart.

I replied, thanks though I still placed 55th, good luck getting the kitties to finish higher than that

I got behind this willowy U of WY racer chick and prob coulda passed her, but let her set the pace for the last couple km. Totally worth letting her finish a second ahead of me. There are worse places to be than right behind a college ski racer chick in a skin tight uni.
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

Sounds kind of creepy to follow a lady and gawk at her like that...then to come here and brag about it just wreaks of misogyny. But don't worry, seagull won't get mad at you since you're not republican.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

For fuck’s sake illy.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

this thread hadn’t been shit all over yet
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^^

If you really wanted to land a zinger, you shoulda just said somethin like, “surprising there wuz only 2 in your age group”
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

It's enough that you know that she -- a college girl -- thinks you're, like, creepy old.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »