Royals

Other Sports.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Royals

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:14 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:24 am
Cascadia wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:38 pm That’s fucking dope. Hope it happens. Don’t really care about fountains and the crown. Fine with them either way
I suspect it's a nearly-foregone conclusion that baseball will be downtown within a decade's time.

The question - that matters a lot! - is exactly where. I worry some that they'll try to build it with a sort of pre-packaged entertainment area (not unlike Truist/Battery Park in Atlanta), somewhere downtown-adjacent, rather than just sort of drop it in (like Target Field/1st Ave./Warehouse District in Minneapolis).
Totally agree. A downtown stadium can easily be fucked up. If done correctly, they can change the entire dynamics of a city. Especially a baseball stadium that has 80+ events during the best weather of the year.
Spoken like a true Portlander. One of the things that doesn't get talked about all that much is that Kansas City has, like, bottom quartile weather among mid-size to large US cities. While it doesn't have the extremes of, say, Minneapolis on one hand or Atlanta on the other, it is hot and gross in the summer, and cold and gross in the winter. Spring and fall last a combined 20 days.

Very shitty weather city.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:23 pm
Cascadia wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:14 pm
jfish26 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:24 am

I suspect it's a nearly-foregone conclusion that baseball will be downtown within a decade's time.

The question - that matters a lot! - is exactly where. I worry some that they'll try to build it with a sort of pre-packaged entertainment area (not unlike Truist/Battery Park in Atlanta), somewhere downtown-adjacent, rather than just sort of drop it in (like Target Field/1st Ave./Warehouse District in Minneapolis).
Totally agree. A downtown stadium can easily be fucked up. If done correctly, they can change the entire dynamics of a city. Especially a baseball stadium that has 80+ events during the best weather of the year.
Spoken like a true Portlander. One of the things that doesn't get talked about all that much is that Kansas City has, like, bottom quartile weather among mid-size to large US cities. While it doesn't have the extremes of, say, Minneapolis on one hand or Atlanta on the other, it is hot and gross in the summer, and cold and gross in the winter. Spring and fall last a combined 20 days.

Very shitty weather city.
That’s why I left!
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I don’t think you can beat LA for weather, particularly when you take the mountains into account. I’ve surfed and snowboarded on the same day!
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

jfish26 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:36 am I don’t think you can beat LA for weather, particularly when you take the mountains into account. I’ve surfed and snowboarded on the same day!
Yeah, but what a shitty political climate :)
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

LA is just too much of a human cesspool for me. The PNW is basically a dream world for me. There really isn’t much that I don’t like.

And it can’t be stated enough. KC is a very shitty weather city. Maybe the worst in the US (w/ St. Louis)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Cascadia wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 1:35 pm LA is just too much of a human cesspool for me. The PNW is basically a dream world for me. There really isn’t much that I don’t like.

And it can’t be stated enough. KC is a very shitty weather city. Maybe the worst in the US (w/ St. Louis)
I think like Memphis and Nashville are marginally worse, but yes.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The tornadoes make it all worthwhile.
; )
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Royals looking decent this Spring. Good to have Salvy back.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Not great, Bob.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:09 pm Not great, Bob.

Honestly, I don't hate betting on U 29.5 and YES on HR Champ.

If he's healthy enough to hit 30, he's got a decent chance at champ (especially with Judge's injury).
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Was looking forward to baseball.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Draft Day!

Who ya got???

I'm good with Zac Veen or Max Meyer (and obviously one of Torkelson, Martin or Lacy, should they fall).

I would lose my shit if they took Nick Gonzales.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I was ecstatic about taking Starling over Lindor, Rendor and Springer. I wanted Appel over Zimmer.

But, I'll take Lacy.

It will be either Veen or Gonzales.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:40 am I was ecstatic about taking Starling over Lindor, Rendor and Springer. I wanted Appel over Zimmer.

But, I'll take Lacy.

It will be either Veen or Gonzales.
I'd personally prefer Meyer, just because if he was 6'3" he'd be a clear 1-1. I think he's Oswalt or Lincecum.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Rany Jazayerli dropped this fun nugget.

The Royals last picked #4 in 2010. The top 3 prospects in that draft? Bryce Harper, Jameson Tailon and Manny Machado. They picked Colon as there was no guaranteed #4.

The Royals pick #4 this year. Top 3 are almost guaranteed to be Torkelson, Martin and Lacy. No clear #4.

Hope this year's #4 ends up much better.

Keith Law has them getting Veen. I'd love Meyer or Veen. Meyer most MLB ready pitcher. Think it'll be Veen. I wish there was a good INF prospect they could get. I know Gonzales can be that, but I think they really like Veen. They seem a bit low on INF in the system.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:12 am Rany Jazayerli dropped this fun nugget.

The Royals last picked #4 in 2010. The top 3 prospects in that draft? Bryce Harper, Jameson Tailon and Manny Machado. They picked Colon as there was no guaranteed #4.

The Royals pick #4 this year. Top 3 are almost guaranteed to be Torkelson, Martin and Lacy. No clear #4.

Hope this year's #4 ends up much better.

Keith Law has them getting Veen. I'd love Meyer or Veen. Meyer most MLB ready pitcher. Think it'll be Veen. I wish there was a good INF prospect they could get. I know Gonzales can be that, but I think they really like Veen. They seem a bit low on INF in the system.
You can't draft for need like that, though.

Gonzales just feels like Colon all over again.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah that's a good point. It's different than every other sport.

Just go get the best guy.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Lacy! Love that pick. Absolutely love it.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I would have preferred Martin. But it’s a good pick.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah Martin did slide a bit. And I get it. But Lacy the most college ready pitcher. That 2022 Royals rotation is going to be NAAAASTY