Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:31 pm My daughter was exposed to Flu A, Strep throat, and something called RSV earlier this week. I took her to urgent care this morning. I'm waiting for the symptoms to kick in.
Unless your daughter is particularly young or has other medical problems that cause her to have difficulty handling the health challenges that nearly everyone encounters, RSV is probably nothing to worry about. Probably.

Respiratory syncytial virus (RSV) causes infections of the lungs and respiratory tract. It's so common that most children have been infected with the virus by age 2. Respiratory syncytial (sin-SISH-ul) virus can also infect adults.

In adults and older, healthy children, RSV symptoms are mild and typically mimic the common cold. Self-care measures are usually all that's needed to relieve any discomfort.

RSV can cause severe infection in some people, especially premature babies, older adults, infants and adults with heart and lung disease, or anyone with a very weak immune system (immunocompromised).

[...]
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

She's in her Jr year @ UK studying to be a social worker (against my advice). They took three little kids out of a camper (meth lab) last week and 1 of the 3 kids had all of the above. My daughter was put in charge of entertaining the sick kid for a while.

Meth lab was the least worrisome activity going on there. It's making me rethink my opposition to capital punishment.
Broham
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

There are certain crimes and activities for which even capital punishment isnt sufficient.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:22 pm She's in her Jr year @ UK studying to be a social worker (against my advice). They took three little kids out of a camper (meth lab) last week and 1 of the 3 kids had all of the above. My daughter was put in charge of entertaining the sick kid for a while.

Meth lab was the least worrisome activity going on there. It's making me rethink my opposition to capital punishment.
Social workers occupy an exalted place imo. In the medical field, especially the hospital setting, they work miracles, especially considering the lack of public infrastructure they have to work with.

Hopefully she'll escape her exposures unscathed.
Derek Cressman
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Geezer wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:33 pm In a world of 7 billion people this is still pretty insignificant.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/09/business ... index.html

Yea, not gonna impact anything.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

not the worst thing in the world, less cars being produced
Deleted User 89

i’ll never understand parts of the chinese culture

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/dead-bir ... from-china
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:22 pm She's in her Jr year @ UK studying to be a social worker (against my advice). They took three little kids out of a camper (meth lab) last week and 1 of the 3 kids had all of the above. My daughter was put in charge of entertaining the sick kid for a while.

Being a Social Worker is a noble position. Incredibly over-worked, terribly under-paid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

chiknbut wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:58 am

Being a Social Worker is a noble position. Incredibly over-worked, terribly under-paid.
All of which I've told her repeatedly. She got pretty close to our social worker while Mrs 99 were fostering.
Broham
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

jhawks99 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:31 pm My daughter was exposed to Flu A, Strep throat, and something called RSV earlier this week. I took her to urgent care this morning. I'm waiting for the symptoms to kick in.
Your daughter and I must be hanging around the same crowd...

Strep + Influenza A = the sickest DC has been as an adult -- maybe ever.

Mutherfucker.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Hope you're well soon. I managed to avoid it.

ETA: I'm pretty sure you were not hanging around with that crowd. Kids are probably in foster care and the "adults" are in jail.
Broham
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:46 pm
Your daughter and I must be hanging around the same crowd...

Strep + Influenza A = the sickest DC has been as an adult -- maybe ever.

Mutherfucker.
Despite the overwhelming, convincing evidence, I refuse to accept that Karma is behind this.

Get well soon.
Derek Cressman
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

heard this morning that the CDC and WHO have been offered their assistance for more than a month, but have not been permitted in
Deleted User 295

Post by Deleted User 295 »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:48 pm heard this morning that the CDC and WHO have been offered their assistance for more than a month, but have not been permitted in
Fucking China.

Makes me wonder what they're hiding.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: Money Laundering!

As the novel coronavirus outbreak continues to batter China, the country's central bank has implemented a new strategy to contain the virus -- deep cleaning and destroying potentially infected cash.

The new measures, announced by the People's Bank of China on Saturday, aim to contain the spread of the virus, officially known as Covid-19. There is still a lot unknown about the virus, which has infected more than 71,000 people globally and killed 1,775, the majority in China -- but it appears to survive for at least several hours on surfaces, according to the World Health Organization.

This is why buildings in affected areas are regularly disinfecting elevator buttons, door handles, and other commonly-touched surfaces -- and why people are worried about cash, which changes hands multiple times a day.

All Chinese banks must now literally launder their cash, disinfecting it with ultraviolet light and high temperatures, then storing it for seven to 14 days before releasing it to customers, said the central Chinese government in a press release Saturday.

Cash that comes from high-risk infection areas, like hospitals and wet markets, will be "specially treated" and sent back to the central bank instead of being recirculated.

[...]
Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The 14 coronavirus-stricken Americans evacuated from a cruise ship in Japan were flown back to the US on a plane full of healthy people against advice from the CDC, a report said Thursday.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention officials argued the 14 infected Diamond Princess passengers shouldn’t be flown back with the about 300 virus-free people — but ultimately lost the battle to the US State Department, according to The Washington Post.

“It was like the worst nightmare,” an anonymous senior U.S. official involved in the decision told the paper.

“Quite frankly, the alternative could have been pulling grandma out in the pouring rain, and that would have been bad, too.”

Test results had found that the 14 passengers were infected prior to boarding planes to the US on Monday.

“Nobody anticipated getting these results,” said another U.S. official.

The State Department had vowed that no one with the infection would be allowed on — but then urged health officials to let the sick, yet symptom-free, passengers board, the paper reported.

The CDC worried about infection control aboard the planes. Principal deputy director Anne Schuchat wrote to the State Dept. that the stricken passengers would pose “an increased risk to the other passengers,” according to the report.

But officials with the Department of Health and Human Services and the coronavirus task force pushed back, arguing that they had been prepared to handle passengers who might develop symptoms on the flights.

The two Boeing 747s had 18 seats cordoned-off with 10-foot-high plastic on all sides and infectious disease doctors would be on board.

[...]
Derek Cressman
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Hundreds of Chinese prisoners in 2 Jails test positive.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Hmmmm.
Just Ledoux it