why the greatest economy ever...

Ugh.
Shirley
Contributor

Re: why the greatest economy ever...

Post by Shirley »

lobster wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:17 pm
Feral wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:03 pm It was a joke, Grandma.

I have no way of knowing, but I don't believe lobster when he says that he and his wife cornered the surgical mask market back in January.

But, I could be wrong, and he can post his brokerage account statement and prove it.
lol, you wouldn't believe me if I said the sky was blue. My wife is Chinese and the Chinese knew about the demand for masks far before you or most Americans did. We made some good coin with her relatives in China, I'll leave it at that.
It would be easier to believe if we could see the brokerage statement(s).

I'll leave it at that.
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
Deleted User 104

Post by Deleted User 104 »

It's not in or brokerage accounts. Chinese know smarter ways to pay people.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

lobster wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:21 pm If anyone really wants to get ahead of most people, put some of your portfolio into gold (precious metal) mutual funds. When the recession hits, this will at least protect some of your purchasing power in case the dollar loses value from QE.
Financial advice from the surgical mask king of the west coast!
Deleted User 104

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

lobster wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:24 pm It's not in or brokerage accounts. Chinese know smarter ways to pay people.
Oh, OK, I'm convinced.
Derek Cressman
Deleted User 104

There's always huge opportunity when there's a crisis, you just have to be intelligent enough to take advantage, and that's the problem. You still have opportunity to make some money, but you're not going to make 50,000 like we did.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

lobster wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:39 pm There's always huge opportunity when there's a crisis, you just have to be intelligent enough to take advantage, and that's the problem. You still have opportunity to make some money, but you're not going to make 50,000 like we did.
That's so convincing, I'm beginning to question my own judgement.
Derek Cressman
Deleted User 104

It hurts that you weren't intelligent enough to take advantage. So glad I married an intelligent woman. :D

Not surprised, as I recall you didn't start investing until your 60's.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

lobster wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:56 pm It hurts that you weren't intelligent enough to take advantage. So glad I married an intelligent woman. :D

Holy fuck. You must be nearing your first billion....
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

smh
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I have like 150 N95 masks that I have stockpiled for work use when needed for me or the crew Am I a millionaire now?!? This is exciting.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

TDub wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:40 pm I have like 150 N95 masks that I have stockpiled for work use when needed for me or the crew Am I a millionaire now?!? This is exciting.
only if you sell them to family in china
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

lobster wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:56 pm It hurts that you weren't intelligent enough to take advantage. So glad I married an intelligent woman. :D

If your claim that "I married an intelligent woman" is as accurate as the rest of your post, she must have significant mental challenges.

My heart goes out to you, and her.
Derek Cressman
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:47 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:40 pm I have like 150 N95 masks that I have stockpiled for work use when needed for me or the crew Am I a millionaire now?!? This is exciting.
only if you sell them to family in china
Maybe squiddy can hook me up with some connectx
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Not long ago you couldn't afford a refrigerator and your car was being towed.

Now you're warren buffett giving out financial advice. Good for you.

Buy low sell high.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Hey lobster, with the VIX higher than it's been in 9 years, is it safe to assume that we'd be following you and your wife's lead to sell puts to collect premium?

Any chance that you'd share what strike and expiration date you're selling on the SPY?

tia

Derek Cressman
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I have no way of knowing, but I don't believe lobster when he says that he and his wife cornered the surgical mask market back in January.

But, I could be wrong, and he can post his brokerage account statement and prove it.
lol, you wouldn't believe me if I said the sky was blue. My wife is Chinese and the Chinese knew about the demand for masks far before you or most Americans did. We made some good coin with her relatives in China, I'll leave it at that.
Feral - I apologize! My post was directed at lobster.
I know you're smart.
Ever hear of the phrase, hungry men speak of food? Reminds me of lobster. The poster on this site, not the actual food/crustacean.

Lobster - Hmmmm.
Right now the sky is gray so you're right, I wouldn't believe you if you told me the sky is blue.
I do believe that your wife is Chinese. Perhaps the Chinese as a whole knew about the the demand for masks before I did. Although, my co-workers in our Beijing office were pretty in tune and let me know about it a while ago. We in the Chicago office actually sent a bunch of masks to our various Asian offices - without feeling a need to profit from doing as such. In fact, we didn't charge them anything. You're making me feel as if we are morons for not making money off of them.

As far as your making "good coin", I would love for you to come in to our Chicago office and speak with our analysts and help advise them on where we should be investing our 58 billion in assets - besides in gold and surgical masks. If you shared your portfolio with them and showed them how successful you've been as an investor they just might hire you to be an advisor and a money manager.

I'm curious as to whom (if anyone) you have had to report your income from selling the masks and did your wife's family in China profit from selling masks you sold to them? If so, what if anything do they need to do in terms of reporting their income/profit from selling US "imported" goods?
Actually, I'm not really all that curious but I honestly don't know - do you have to report your sales and profit to the "authorities" in the US and China - if you all made the "good coin" you are alleging you made?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

You made good coin on your wife's relatives and your bragging about it because you think it's cool?
Broham
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I can't believe lobster's wife didn't give us a headsup, but I've no doubt they saw this coming, and I'm happy for them that their income stream is diversified:

Derek Cressman
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Grandma wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:13 am

Feral - I apologize! My post was directed at lobster.
I know you're smart.
Ever hear of the phrase, hungry men speak of food? Reminds me of lobster. The poster on this site, not the actual food/crustacean.

Lobster - Hmmmm.
Right now the sky is gray so you're right, I wouldn't believe you if you told me the sky is blue.
I do believe that your wife is Chinese. Perhaps the Chinese as a whole knew about the the demand for masks before I did. Although, my co-workers in our Beijing office were pretty in tune and let me know about it a while ago. We in the Chicago office actually sent a bunch of masks to our various Asian offices - without feeling a need to profit from doing as such. In fact, we didn't charge them anything. You're making me feel as if we are morons for not making money off of them.

As far as your making "good coin", I would love for you to come in to our Chicago office and speak with our analysts and help advise them on where we should be investing our 58 billion in assets - besides in gold and surgical masks. If you shared your portfolio with them and showed them how successful you've been as an investor they just might hire you to be an advisor and a money manager.

I'm curious as to whom (if anyone) you have had to report your income from selling the masks and did your wife's family in China profit from selling masks you sold to them? If so, what if anything do they need to do in terms of reporting their income/profit from selling US "imported" goods?
Actually, I'm not really all that curious but I honestly don't know - do you have to report your sales and profit to the "authorities" in the US and China - if you all made the "good coin" you are alleging you made?
No prob Grandma. It's good of you to emphasize the humanitarian aspect of the COVID19 adventure we're watching and hoping not to become a part of.

It's none of my business and I'm not in any way trying to get you to say, but I have always been curious about where you work, and this makes me even curiouser.
Derek Cressman