3 point offense

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 3 point offense

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:09 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:58 am DMac is at 55.3 TS% ( a silly stat but one brought up earlier this season ) in conference play - ahead of Braun ( .527 ), Wilson ( .528 ) and Enaruna ( .521 ) - and is our 2nd leading scorer in conference.
This is such a Rorschach Test.

Some people think this is a good thing.

I think it is a very bad thing.
It's working out great, man.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Again, he's shooting above 50%.
We're shooting the 2nd most 3's ever under Self.
The theory that we're just siphoning off our strength ( perimeter shooting? I guess ? ) by getting it to DMac, who actually is only shooting 10 shots a game, holds no ground.

Ideally we have Garrett or Wilson our 2nd leading scorer with DMac still getting the action he is now.
They are just missing their shots ( and turning the ball over ).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:14 pm Again, he's shooting above 50%.
The theory that we're just siphoning off our strength ( perimeter shooting? I guess ? ) by getting it to DMac, who actually is only shooting 10 shots a game, holds no ground.

Ideally we have Garrett or Wilson our 2nd leading scorer with DMac still getting the action he is now.
But again, you really cannot just look at his TS% and conclude he's good. He turns it over a stupid amount for someone without playmaking responsibilities. And he gums up the rest of the offense.

All while offering very little on the other end.

Whole, parts, etc.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:16 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:14 pm Again, he's shooting above 50%.

But again, you really cannot just look at his TS% and conclude he's good. He turns it over a stupid amount for someone without playmaking responsibilities. And he gums up the rest of the offense.

All while offering very little on the other end.

Whole, parts, etc.
USG% is way too high b/c he's either putting it up or giving it away. You can blame staff for that, though.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

AP40:
Braun 2.3. Enaruna 2.2. DMac 2.2. Ochai 2.1.

TOP40:
Wilson 3.7. Enaruna 3.4. Garrett 2.9. DMac 2.5. Braun 2.0.

Udoka's last season TOP40 - 2.6.
Dedric 2019 - 3.1.

You see what you want to see.
Doesn't mean you're right.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i see guys missing shots

that’s not what i want to see
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:22 pm AP40:
Braun 2.3. Enaruna 2.2. DMac 2.2. Ochai 2.1.

TOP40:
Wilson 3.7. Enaruna 3.4. Garrett 2.9. DMac 2.5. Braun 2.0.

Udoka's last season TOP40 - 2.6.
Dedric 2019 - 3.1.

You see what you want to see.
None of those players besides Doke is relevant to analyzing McCormack's performance.

And an identical turnover rate is not good, where Doke was a couple grades better otherwise on offense, and on a completely different (better) planet, defensively.

I'm not saying McCormack needs to be as good as Doke. What I'm saying is he turns it over at an unacceptably high rate, in the context of what he does give you.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I see that too.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

2015 Ellis - 2.4 TO/P40.
2013 Withey - 2.3 TO/P40.
2011 Kief - 3.3 TO/P40.

Bigs with similar PPG.
He's not some turnover machine like you're making him out to be.

Could he be better? Absolutely.
Is he the reason we are loosing or is he 'gumming' up the offense? No.
If DMac's turnover rate was up closer to Wilson's numbers, then i'd be on bored with your theory.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

The reason I'm having trouble pinning the blame on McCormack is that he's played his best ball over the stretch where we've struggled and played his worst when we looked decent. And his minutes haven't really fluctuated, so it's not like he was playing less time when he was performing poorly.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

A larger reason why we are loosing is because we're shooting 22 3's a game at 33-34% recently and we have two starting guards shooting 41.7% and 36.9% from the field - and 32.4% and 35.6% from 3.

And our bench is shooting worse than that.

The blame for our 2021 New Years woes would, for me, if we have to pick players and coaches, go:
1. Self ( he's the coach so the buck stops here etc )
2. Garrett - not playing poorly, just not the alpha we needed from him, he's still one of our best guys out there, but he's not taking command
3. Braun - sorry if the expectations were set too high but he's playing 32 MPG and scoring 8.2 PPG in those minutes, he's not great on defense and he gets in trouble when he drives
4. Our bench - where are you? Harris has done things but there's not much of a spark here
5. Wilson - kind of unfair but we saw what you could do to start the season and now have taken a nose dive - lots of turnovers, missing shots
6. DMac - the "I hate bigs" crew hates to see this, but the stats aren't there to support them in how 'bad' he's playing
7. Ochai - leading us in 3 point shooting and points, could he be even better, yes, but I don't think he should have had to be the guy this season
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Dave had half his TOs in the first 6 games. He's had the same number in the past 11 games.

I think he became the scapegoat early on and fans became convinced he was the problem and then they dug their heels in when it's become clear he's no longer the problem.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dave was really bad to start the season.
You could put the blame on him for looses then.
I don't think you can now.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:51 pm A larger reason why we are loosing is because we're shooting 22 3's a game at 33-34% recently and we have two starting guards shooting 41.7% and 36.9% from the field - and 32.4% and 35.6% from 3.

The blame for our 2021 New Years woes would, for me, if we have to pick players and coaches, go:
2. Garrett - not playing poorly, just not the alpha we needed from him, he's still one of our best guys out there, but he's not taking command
3. Braun - sorry if the expectations were set too high but he's playing 32 MPG and scoring 8.2 PPG in those minutes, he's not great on defense and he gets in trouble when he drives
4. Our bench - where are you? Harris has done things but there's not much of a spark here
5. Wilson - kind of unfair but we saw what you could do to start the season and now have taken a nose dive - lots of turnovers, missing shots
6. DMac - the "I hate bigs" crew hates to see this, but the stats aren't there to support them in how 'bad' he's playing
7. Ochai - leading us in 3 point shooting and points, could he be even better, yes, but I don't think he should have had to be the guy this season
I've got Wilson at #2. Has anyone gone from being potentially our best player to a complete non-factor before? He got some stats last game, but mostly in garbage time. He's been awful.

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The reason I can't put him there is because of expectations.
People were guessing who would be our 5th starter - some said Tyon Grant Foster would be it, others Bryce Thompson or Enaruna.

I can see why Wilson would be that high - but of all the people I mentioned, he's the only one without a full season or more of college BB under his belt.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:53 pmI think he became the scapegoat early on and fans became convinced he was the problem and then they dug their heels in when it's become clear he's no longer the problem.
Yes, but only seeing those types mostly on twitter and not here. Dave's play isn't the problem now. He's actually played about as well as we could hope for since X-mas. He's just not very good and his best stats most often come when the rest of the team can't get going. That's a big problem.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also, i'd put Lightfoot basically last.
He's filled his role admirably.
Can't blame him except for some silly sideline antics.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:58 pm The reason I can't put him there is because of expectations.
People were guessing who would be our 5th starter - some said Tyon Grant Foster would be it, others Bryce Thompson or Enaruna.

I can see why Wilson would be that high - but of all the people I mentioned, he's the only one without a full season or more of college BB under his belt.
Well, I guess it depends on when those expectations were made...preseason, you're probably right, but based on the expectations we had when the calendar year changed, or when we started conference play...he's gotta be right underneath Self.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:56 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:51 pm A larger reason why we are loosing is because we're shooting 22 3's a game at 33-34% recently and we have two starting guards shooting 41.7% and 36.9% from the field - and 32.4% and 35.6% from 3.

I've got Wilson at #2. Has anyone gone from being potentially our best player to a complete non-factor before? He got some stats last game, but mostly in garbage time. He's been awful.
His hot streak masked our lack of elite talent.

I do wonder how much of it was being a mismatch against a bigger player--a reason why I'd like to see those stretches of him at the 5. Or even at the 1 or 3. He's not fitting in at all right now.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I suppose if you're setting expectations from this years non con.
I think he's played better than Braun has in 2021.

Overall, because Garrett is a senior and has played a lot of CBB, a lot of this is on him.
It might have been unfair to expect a non top 25 RS frosh to lead us this season.