21-22 lineup

Kansas Basketball.
CrimsonNBlue

Re: 21-22 lineup

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:26 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:35 am
twocoach wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:07 am

We'd have to have several more guys leave to have room for both him and TyTy. Honestly, the fact that he is choosing soon makes me believe it is not going to be Kansas since we don't have a spot for him right now.
I'm not sure why we do this nearly every offseason, but Bill has never let the scholarship situation get in the way of a player he wants. As we are all aware, scholarships are a one year deal and he has no problem breaking eggs to make the omelet.
Bye bye Tristan or TGF?
Jossell is #1 on that list.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:40 am A backcourt of him, TyTy and Och...
We'd have to have several more guys leave to have room for both him and TyTy. Honestly, the fact that he is choosing soon makes me believe it is not going to be Kansas since we don't have a spot for him right now.
I'm not sure why we do this nearly every offseason, but Bill has never let the scholarship situation get in the way of a player he wants. As we are all aware, scholarships are a one year deal and he has no problem breaking eggs to make the omelet.
Oh, I never said that it wouldn't happen. I just think that we won't see players getting added until we see players getting subtracted first, which leads me to believe that we'll either hear an announcement from Garrett before this kid from Northeastern chooses or we won't get him.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:31 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:53 am I didn't realize until this morning that next year is the last in Bill's deal.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 69330.html
I don't think it'll happen, but retirement (at least from coaching) wouldn't completely shock me.

I could maybe see him in an NBA front office type position.
He seems to enjoy coaching players too much to quit yet.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:32 pm

Bye bye Tristan or TGF?
Agreed. He doesnt strike me as a guy who is ever going to be in the rotation, let alone at the number of minutes that would make sense to stay. He isn't going to be an NBA player so might as well go somewhere where he can get a chance to be a decent college player.
hasbeen

Post by hasbeen »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:53 am I didn't realize until this morning that next year is the last in Bill's deal.

I hope Indiana doesn't end up hiring Chris Beard.

Just kidding, sorta.
"So, which one of these topics are conspiracy?

1 .911 was done by Israel: okay, if you think that one is conspiracy, I'll just leave that one alone."

- lobser
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

hasbeen wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:55 am

Just kidding, sorta.
Oats would be my guy.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:51 am

Oh, I never said that it wouldn't happen. I just think that we won't see players getting added until we see players getting subtracted first, which leads me to believe that we'll either hear an announcement from Garrett before this kid from Northeastern chooses or we won't get him.
What do you expect Garrett to announce? The odds of him coming back are about 0.0001%. Between the senior speech, thank you posts on social media, and just his reactions after checking out of the USC game it all points to he's gone. Him saying he's not sure yet is the same as Cade Cunningham saying he hasn't made a decision about the draft yet.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NDballer13 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 am

What do you expect Garrett to announce? The odds of him coming back are about 0.0001%. Between the senior speech, thank you posts on social media, and just his reactions after checking out of the USC game it all points to he's gone. Him saying he's not sure yet is the same as Cade Cunningham saying he hasn't made a decision about the draft yet.
I agree that he is very likely gone. But it would be in the best interest of KU hoops if he formally announced his intentions. I am sure that Self has shared that with him. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a formal statement from Garrett sooner rather than later.

He didn't need to announce he was coming back next year (we all knew he would) but he did.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:40 am
NDballer13 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:18 am

I agree that he is very likely gone. But it would be in the best interest of KU hoops if he formally announced his intentions. I am sure that Self has shared that with him. I wouldn't be surprised to hear a formal statement from Garrett sooner rather than later.

He didn't need to announce he was coming back next year (we all knew he would) but he did.
Best interest for KU, or to help you sleep better? If every single person involved in decisions about building next year's, and beyond, team knows he's gone, what difference does it make for him to hop on instagram and say he's not coming back (we all know he's not)?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

twocoach wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:58 am

Bye bye Tristan or TGF?
Agreed. He doesnt strike me as a guy who is ever going to be in the rotation, let alone at the number of minutes that would make sense to stay. He isn't going to be an NBA player so might as well go somewhere where he can get a chance to be a decent college player.
The COVID year kind of gives and takes for both Jossell and Muscadin. Now they are in the same class as Harris and Wilson, so decrease in chance at minutes here, but they can transfer and still be freshmen.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:56 am

Just kidding, sorta.
Oats would be my guy.
In my mind, as of today, it's not a lot different from the last coach search where you really even need a list. You decide whether or not you even try for Stevens. If not, if Beard says no, call Oats.

That said, I firmly believe Bill is in for at least another 5 years after next, so very academic. Neither Beard nor Oats would have been anywhere close to the spot 5 years ago. 5 years ago, we would have seriously talked about Richard Pitino and Josh Pastner. Laughable now.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

We would've never talked about Pastner.
Just Ledoux it
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Pastner. LOL. Dude was like barely over .500 in his final like 3 years at Memphis.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:25 am We would've never talked about Pastner.
He was talked about on here plenty. Prematurely, as hindsight proves.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Bye bye Tristan or TGF?
Or he knows all those things and would rather be at KU for the overall experience...time will tell.

Mitch could have gone somewhere else and played much more, but he loves being at KU....i respect that. That is what makes college basketball cool.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:10 am

Just kidding, sorta.
Oats would be my guy.
In my mind, as of today, it's not a lot different from the last coach search where you really even need a list. You decide whether or not you even try for Stevens. If not, if Beard says no, call Oats.

That said, I firmly believe Bill is in for at least another 5 years after next, so very academic. Neither Beard nor Oats would have been anywhere close to the spot 5 years ago. 5 years ago, we would have seriously talked about Richard Pitino and Josh Pastner. Laughable now.
I say this every time it comes up.

But, Self's replacement is likely an Assistant Coach at some blue blood, or in his first or second year as a HC at a small school or mid-major and isn't yet even on our radar.

The people we list are always the people you'd hire if it happened today, and like you I don't think this is Self's final contract.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:37 am

Or he knows all those things and would rather be at KU for the overall experience...time will tell.

Mitch could have gone somewhere else and played much more, but he loves being at KU....i respect that. That is what makes college basketball cool.
Mitch was invited back each year. Jossell may not be.

And, IMO, should not be.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:38 am

Oats would be my guy.

But, Self's replacement is likely an Assistant Coach at some blue blood, or in his first or second year as a HC at a small school or mid-major and isn't yet even on our radar.

The people we list are always the people you'd hire if it happened today, and like you I don't think this is Self's final contract.
But here's the thing, you have to consider all options. With the investigation, he could be forced to not coach at Kansas anymore due to a showcause penalty, we truly don't know. Which is why the current names are thrown out there.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Oats would be my guy.

Crazy to look back and see that Bill was only at Illinois for 3 seasons. I really doubt we would have hired him straight from Tulsa.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:44 am

But here's the thing, you have to consider all options. With the investigation, he could be forced to not coach at Kansas anymore due to a showcause penalty, we truly don't know. Which is why the current names are thrown out there.
You and I aren't gonna be on the search committee for a new coach.

And I don't like worrying about hypothetical things that could happen.

Yellowstone could erupt tomorrow too, but I'm not preparing for it. I might go to DQ and get a blizzard tonight instead.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.