21-22 Schedule

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: 21-22 Schedule

Post by pdub »

Saying the main factor of who we win or loose to is simply their quad status or kenpom rank is either dishonest or removed from the history of the program imo.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Fuck Quantrill
Just Ledoux it
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:19 am And in that one game we played mizzou i paid above normal market value to be able to watch it online (as did a shit ton of other irrc). I think that says something.
Could also say Kansas fans were eager to watch them play. I paid to watch them play in the University games and I wouldn't call a random team of 19-21 yr olds from Germany a rival.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

From a program competition standpoint and all that entails, it's UK. Going to be a fun storyline of Remy vs. TyTy, because they very well could have been in the opposite jersey. That has happened a lot since Cal took over there.

We always make jokes about how a rivalry indicates competitiveness and now playing them every year is only adding to it. And there seems to be enough vitriol from both sides, especially when you take a look at this board's obsession with hating UK and Cal. Hell, read this board the last decade+ and you'd conclude UK is our biggest rival.

I dislike duke and mizzou much more. And then there are the regional rivals with a lot of history.

But, the "we can't be UK's rival because of Louisville" doesn't make any sense. That's like saying we can't be Kansas State's rival because we have mizzou.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:26 am in the last handful of years baylor and texas tech have got my juices flowing pretty good. I like playing wvu.

A big game against a conference foe is more exciting for me than any non-conference game.
Not to discount Baylor, but UT-KU could really heat back up to what it used to be.

Hell, I am just fine with KU-UT-Baylor becoming a duke-UNC-UVA group atop the conference.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

The length and successes and recent games v UK make them an opponent I look forward to beating.

They arent a rival.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:49 am
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:19 am And in that one game we played mizzou i paid above normal market value to be able to watch it online (as did a shit ton of other irrc). I think that says something.
Could also say Kansas fans were eager to watch them play. I paid to watch them play in the University games and I wouldn't call a random team of 19-21 yr olds from Germany a rival.
I also paid for that...but i viewed that as a more unique event since they were representing the United States. I also think that was cheaper than the Mizzou game iirc (and obviously was multiple games).

If Kansas played Clemson or Notre Dame and the only way to watch it was online (for a fee) then i probably wouldn't watch.
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:53 am But, the "we can't be UK's rival because of Louisville" doesn't make any sense. That's like saying we can't be Kansas State's rival because we have mizzou.
Watch KU vs UK game in Rupp and then watch a UL vs UK game in Rupp. They don't view us as their rival.

We can hate them. We can enjoy beating them. But there are certain characteristics a rivalry must contain and UK/KU doesn't contain enough of them in my opinion.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:19 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:53 am But, the "we can't be UK's rival because of Louisville" doesn't make any sense. That's like saying we can't be Kansas State's rival because we have mizzou.
Watch KU vs UK game in Rupp and then watch a UL vs UK game in Rupp. They don't view us as their rival.

We can hate them. We can enjoy beating them. But there are certain characteristics a rivalry must contain and UK/KU doesn't contain enough of them in my opinion.
That's fine. I also never said it was the same level as UK/UL.

Our two programs have been intertwined for a long time. Your interpretation of ESPN broadcasts does not change that. I am also remembering that UK set an attendance record one of the last times we went there. I know UK fans. I've been in Lex and Kentucky many times. Their fans absolutely do not like KU. Not to the level they don't like Duke or Louisville, never argued that.

But, again, this is from a competition standpoint, which our historical rivals just haven't given us in the Self era for several different reasons.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:15 am
If Kansas played Clemson or Notre Dame and the only way to watch it was online (for a fee) then i probably wouldn't watch.
You haven't watched a single game on ESPN+ the last few years?
Deleted User 863

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:29 am

Our two programs have been intertwined for a long time. Your interpretation of ESPN broadcasts does not change that. I am also remembering that UK set an attendance record one of the last times we went there. I know UK fans. I've been in Lex and Kentucky many times. Their fans absolutely do not like KU. Not to the level they don't like Duke or Louisville, never argued that.

But, again, this is from a competition standpoint, which our historical rivals just haven't given us in the Self era for several different reasons.
For sure. I hear ya. I think we are just wanting to call it different things (peer vs rival). The competition is great against them (same with Duke UNC and maybe 1 or 2 others).
Deleted User 863

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:30 am
I was talking more about exhibitions like the Mizzou game.

I have kids, so espn+ comes with the disney+ subscription (as does HULU).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:31 am

For sure. I hear ya. I think we are just wanting to call it different things (peer vs rival). The competition is great against them (same with Duke UNC and maybe 1 or 2 others).
It probably is a fair of semantics, but bring up UK to a KU fan, especially here on this board, and you get a different reaction than you would if you brought up Villanova or Michigan State, and at this point, even UNC. That goes beyond "peer," for me.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

You're talking to people who can't match your inellect.

UK is definitely a rival. KSU may have been a rival many years ago, but not since the 1980's. Their a trash program that we routinely beat. 83-12 against them in the last 95 games.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:33 am
NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:30 am
I was talking more about exhibitions like the Mizzou game.

I have kids, so espn+ comes with the disney+ subscription (as does HULU).
But if we played UK in an exhibition game in October when we are all absolutely starved for basketball, you would absolutely watch.

The charity game at Sprint Center was successful, but a few factors played into it being so successful. Perhaps the biggest one from a full crowd standpoint was Michael Porter, Jr. Mizzou fans started caring about basketball for the first time since 2012.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:01 am If you're going to say "new biggest rival" and mean they are one of them, yes, but you can't discount the hundred plus years and hundreds of games between KU and Mizzou and KU and ksu.

And in response to "we dont play Mizzou" - a. Wouldn't discount all the history b. The rivalry is so deep that we wouldn't schedule them partly out of hate c. We are playing them. And itll be a bigger game for most KU fans.

And in response to how shitty ksu is...full on gutter here but they have as many B12 titles as we do in the last three years.
For me, it's simply different now that Mizzou isn't in our conference. Beating them now is simply a personally satisfying win that avoids a bad loss. It used to be about enjoying ruining their fans dreams of winning the conference/dashing their delusional dreams. Since we don't have that same rivalry any more, my personal rivalry chart is split into two:

Most relevant current rivals:

1) Kentucky
2) the top of the Big 12
3) the rest of the Big 12
4) Mizzou
5) the rest of the traditional powers Nova/Duke etc...

Most hated current rivals:
1) Kentucky
2) Mizzou
3) Kansas State
4) Iowa State
5) Texas
6) the rest of the traditional powers Nova/Duke etc...
Deleted User 863

Be that as it may, there is a reason UK vs KU doesn't pop up on any lists when ESPN ranks the best college rivalries.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Cascadia wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:36 am

UK is definitely a rival. KSU may have been a rival many years ago, but not since the 1980's. Their a trash program that we routinely beat. 83-12 against them in the last 95 games.
It's just weird to me that we have fans who out of one side of their mouth are snarky and say "Kansas State isn't a rivalry, because rivalry indicates competitiveness," then on the other side say "no way is this blueblood school we play nearly every single year in close games and compete with on every recruit and measure our NBA alumni up against a rival."
Deleted User 863

I haven't once said KState isn't a rival. It seems that typically is coming from the side who thinks UK is our rival. Just because KState sucks it doesn't disqualify them from being 1 of our (2 imo) rivals.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:44 am
Cascadia wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:36 am

It's just weird to me that we have fans who out of one side of their mouth are snarky and say "Kansas State isn't a rivalry, because rivalry indicates competitiveness," then on the other side say "no way is this blueblood school we play nearly every single year in close games and compete with on every recruit and measure our NBA alumni up against a rival."
simple minded people who can't control their emotions.