Chris Ledoux
Dwight Yoakum

If we count in-betweeners
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Favorite 80's bands

Post by jhawks99 »

Are we 6 pages into this thread an no one has mentioned The Ramones?
Broham
shindig

Post by shindig »

TDub wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:05 pm Keith Whitley

Chris Ledoux
Dwight Yoakum

I listen to Dwight Yoakum a lot. Feel like he never gets enough credit.

And yes to The Clash, Echo & the Bunneymen and Queen (Three amazing British rock bands).

Anybody remember Flesh for Lulu? From the movie Some Kind of Wonderful.
shindig

Post by shindig »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:18 pm Are we 6 pages into this thread an no one has mentioned The Ramones?
Love their music now but didn't know much about them until I was probably in high school.

Last edited by shindig on Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

shindig wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:18 pm
TDub wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:05 pm Keith Whitley

Chris Ledoux
Dwight Yoakum

I listen to Dwight Yoakum a lot. Feel like he never gets enough credit.

And yes to The Clash, Echo & the Bunneymen and Queen (Three amazing British rock bands).

Anybody remember Flesh for Lulu? From the movie Some Kind of Wonderful.
Dwight Yoakum may be the most underrated artist of that era.

Love his stuff
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

His remake of Elvis' Suspicious Minds rocks! And I love the King.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Yea thats good

Im partial to Streets of Bakersfield with Buck Owens....but he has a lot of good stuff out there and he is never mentioned with Alan Jackson or Randy Travis or even Travis Tritt....and i think he is every bit as good or better than them
Just Ledoux it
LosCondorAzule
Contributor

Post by LosCondorAzule »

THIS SHIT ROCKS!
The Clash
Joy Division
New Order
Sepultura
Echo and the Bunnymen
KLF
Black Flag
Social Distortion
Beastie Boys
Sin City Disciplines
Homestead Grays
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Branford Marsalis Quartet, plus his time with Sting.
Michael Brecker/Randy
Supersax
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Sparko wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:55 pm Branford Marsalis Quartet, plus his time with Sting.
Michael Brecker/Randy
Supersax
I'd add Lawrence's own Bobby Watson to this list. FWIW, I volunteered to shuttle musicians from the airport to the various venues during the 1994 Wichita Jazz Festival. Amongst those I had the pleasure to pick up we're the Brecker Brothers. Unlike the other musicians who were warm and conversational, the bros kept their noses buried in the NYT crossword for the entire trip. Dr. John and his close entourage were the most peculiar, Michael Stern is/was out of his mind crazy.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Forgot Motley Crue on my list.

Watched Bohemian Rhapsody the other night with the wife. She was a toddler when I was in high school, so knew next to nothing about Queen. She’s been talking about them and asking questions ever since. Been kind of fun.
Imagine a life so devoid of accomplishments that you feel the need to lie about working at McDonald’s.
shindig

Post by shindig »

JKLivin wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:17 pm Forgot Motley Crue on my list.

Watched Bohemian Rhapsody the other night with the wife. She was a toddler when I was in high school, so knew next to nothing about Queen. She’s been talking about them and asking questions ever since. Been kind of fun.
Yeah, same here. I knew of Queen but never really appreciated their music, or the extent of, until around the time Freddy died. Freddy Mercury had an amazing voice and their songs still resonate today.

And Motley Crue rocked. I was a huge fan of them along with Ratt, Quiet Riot and Billy Squier. Oh and Billy Idol.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

shindig wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:26 pm

Yeah, same here. I knew of Queen but never really appreciated their music, or the extent of, until around the time Freddy died. Freddy Mercury had an amazing voice and their songs still resonate today.

And Motley Crue rocked. I was a huge fan of them along with Ratt, Quiet Riot and Billy Squier. Oh and Billy Idol.
LOl! I remember being an 8th grader, spiking up my hair, and standing in front of the mirror practicing my Billy Idol sneer.
Imagine a life so devoid of accomplishments that you feel the need to lie about working at McDonald’s.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

More power to you shindig, but this is my nightmare. I can't say my musical taste was better or worse but that's a nightmare to me.
Broham
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

jhawks99 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:36 pm

More power to you shindig, but this is my nightmare. I can't say my musical taste was better or worse but that's a nightmare to me.
There’s no accounting for taste. I think country music is an IQ-lowering aural parasite and that jazz is random noise pollution.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My poor IQ suffers daily.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Me 3
Just Ledoux it
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Queen should be considered a 70’s band.

If you want to include them in the 80’s, then they’re easily #1. And it’s not close.
JKLivin
Contributor

Post by JKLivin »

Cascadia wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:08 pm Queen should be considered a 70’s band.

If you want to include them in the 80’s, then they’re easily #1. And it’s not close.
Truth.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Was just upstairs in the "Man Room" listening to some Miles Davis. Inspired by WRFL, the local version of KJHK, recently playing some jazz from 1961. The set included Davis, Coltrane, Monk and Hancock. All of it good stuff.
Broham