COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
twocoach

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by twocoach »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:58 am
randylahey wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:03 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:39 pm it’s funny, the same general position randy and sQuirt take...that it’s everyone else that lacks the ability to think logically or be “free thinkers”

i also particularly got a chuckle out of the new stance that the vaxxed and those following WHO and CDC guidelines are now the selfish ones

hilarity
One side just wants to be left alone and one side is trying to force their will on others. You tell me which group is the extremists and are acting selfish
haha...such a joke

the ones putting their own “feelings” over their neighbors’, families’, and communities’ health and well-being are the selfish ones

still no sources for your absurdities?

have you settled on an opinion about masks yet? or are you still going with whatever sounds most edgy?
Yep. Breaking news. It is nearly impossible to function "alone" in our communities. If you want to be left alone then remove yourself from all interaction with your communities. Don't go to the grocery store or a restaurant or a movie theater. Home school your kids and keep them out of group activities. You want to be left alone then keep yourself truly alone.

Otherwise, you have to follow the rules of the community.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Thats the perfect example of the extremist attitude. "Conform or you can't be a part of society" that's why people are lashing out. The rules are constantly changing, are made up, and not agreed upon
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Covid ties right into this culture war we've been seeing in our country. Everything covid related at this point is about the culture war, not the virus. Most people are just too stubborn or too stupid to try to find any middle ground
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

And the masks thing. Isn't it a consensus among all of us that you can all wear masks and still spread covid. They do help some, debatable how much.

Whether you think that makes them necessary is a matter of opinion. I personally don't think so.

Which part of this could possibly be wrong?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:02 am Thats the perfect example of the extremist attitude. "Conform or you can't be a part of society" that's why people are lashing out. The rules are constantly changing, are made up, and not agreed upon
There are few rules of any type that 100% of a society agree with.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

randylahey wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:03 am Covid ties right into this culture war we've been seeing in our country. Everything covid related at this point is about the culture war, not the virus. Most people are just too stubborn or too stupid to try to find any middle ground
While I do agree it is political, ( and anyone who doesn't think it is I would also consider ignorant ) saying "everything" covid related at this point is about a culture war is ignorant.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

pdub wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:18 am
randylahey wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:03 am Covid ties right into this culture war we've been seeing in our country. Everything covid related at this point is about the culture war, not the virus. Most people are just too stubborn or too stupid to try to find any middle ground
While I do agree it is political, ( and anyone who doesn't think it is I would also consider ignorant ) saying "everything" covid related at this point is about a culture war is ignorant.
Fair point. But you get what I mean
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:15 am
randylahey wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:02 am Thats the perfect example of the extremist attitude. "Conform or you can't be a part of society" that's why people are lashing out. The rules are constantly changing, are made up, and not agreed upon
This isn't a situation most people agree with but a few outliers are against. When something divides the country right down the middle its a little different
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

randylahey wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:21 am
pdub wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:18 am
Fair point. But you get what I mean
In a very distant way, yes.
Like if Sparko said the officials fixed a Chiefs game, i'd go, well that's certainly pretty crazy, but then also admit that the calls affected the outcome to an extent.

In this case, it's still very much about a virus that is killing people at a noticeable rate - just like a Chiefs game is about how many points the Chiefs score vs their opponent.
But I'd be lying if I wouldn't agree that we clearly have a problem in this country currently in learning to listen to the other side and compromise.

All in all, I do think generally things have gone, in terms of enforcement, to the level I'd agree with -- i.e. let the states ultimately decide on mandates. I don't think federal government should have anything to do with vaccine database records or mandating what a state does with masks or vaccine passports ( sans something like airlines or military bases ). The 100+ person mandate isn't something I agree with -- the executive office can highly recommend states to do something they feel is the most wise -- but ultimately that should be up to the state.

If you don't like the enforcement rules of your state, vote your elected out or move.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:15 am
And that's without taking into account things like a newly emerged pathogen, and genome mutations in a virus.

Part of the reason rules are changing is that we're dealing with an evolving pathogen, not a static thing like supply and demand economics or noise ordinances.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

shocking how “adults” can make it through school without learning the basics of the scientific method

(either that, or they’re so indoctrinated by their bs that they intentionally disregard how science actually works)
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:52 am shocking how “adults” can make it through school without learning the basics of the scientific method

(either that, or they’re so indoctrinated by their bs that they intentionally disregard how science actually works)
I find it sad that "disagreements" are a cause for distrust in science. The fact that you can challenge an assertion, then test it, and re-evaluate the new data should be a strength of science.

randylahey

Post by randylahey »

Science goes both ways tho. Only a small percentage of people have covid at any given time. Take that small percent multiply it by the likelihood of them transmitting it to someone else. Take that small percent multiple it by the odds that person is vulnerable to covid. Then add a mask to the equation and take that percent and multiply it by the odds of the mask preventing the spread

When you start looking at all the variables, you realize that the odds are so so so ridiculously low
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

So everyone can see all the same data and still have different opinions on what is or isn't necessary. "Trust the science" is just one of those phrases both sides scream at eachother
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

700,000 Americans are dead from this thing. NBD, right?
Broham
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

randylahey wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:11 pm Science goes both ways tho. Only a small percentage of people have covid at any given time. Take that small percent multiply it by the likelihood of them transmitting it to someone else. Take that small percent multiple it by the odds that person is vulnerable to covid. Then add a mask to the equation and take that percent and multiply it by the odds of the mask preventing the spread

When you start looking at all the variables, you realize that the odds are so so so ridiculously low
Several things are not true.

First of all, when Covid19 emerged, everyone was susceptible. Covid19 is highly contagious. Delta became even moreso.

You clearly don't understand epidemiology or how it works. That's why you should defer to the experts, the epidemiologists on this.

With an infectious disease, a small reduction in infection rate can result in an enormous difference you're dealing with logarithmic growth, not linear. It's not just about reducing the rate of transmission from on person to others, it's the impact that has on how many people are infected + how many people they infect + how many people they infect and so on.

Go grab a calculator and enter 3 X 3...then multiply that by 3 and repeat it 10 times, you get about 60,000. No do the same thing for 2. You only get a little over 1,000.

So, if masks reduce the number of people you most likely infect from 3 to 2, that seems like a modest reduction, 33%. But you can see how huge a difference it made.

It's not a perfect control, but all you have to do is look at influenza cases to see how much of an impact wearing masks and other mitigation efforts had on a respiratory pathogen. The flu season was the lowest it's ever been.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

randylahey wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:12 pm So everyone can see all the same data and still have different opinions on what is or isn't necessary. "Trust the science" is just one of those phrases both sides scream at eachother
But if one person is misinterpreting it. You. Their opinion is shit.

Deleted User 89

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:57 am
TraditionKU wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:52 am shocking how “adults” can make it through school without learning the basics of the scientific method

I find it sad that "disagreements" are a cause for distrust in science. The fact that you can challenge an assertion, then test it, and re-evaluate the new data should be a strength of science.
it is

it’s a feature of the practice, not a drawback
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:27 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:57 am

it is

it’s a feature of the practice, not a drawback
Y'all best quit practicin and get it right.
Broham
Deleted User 89

randylahey wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:11 pm Science goes both ways tho. Only a small percentage of people have covid at any given time. Take that small percent multiply it by the likelihood of them transmitting it to someone else. Take that small percent multiple it by the odds that person is vulnerable to covid. Then add a mask to the equation and take that percent and multiply it by the odds of the mask preventing the spread

where did the bolded info come from?