The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i remember LPD used to have issues with squatters at the river front park (north side), off of the mtn bike trails

if they aren’t hurting anyone or breaking laws, i don’t have a problem

if they’re trashing the site, staying longer than 14 days at one site, or are setting up outside of designated areas then yeah...something needs to be done. i don’t even care if they aren’t paying the fee, honestly
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Dispersed camping usually doesn’t involve a fee.

To me it’s the fact they so often trash the place. And even if they are being tidy with what’s trash otherwise, there’s just no infrastructure to support people living up there.

And by that I mean, the shit. Like literal human feces everywhere. Hardly anyone has a proper portable toilet. Even if they have the courtesy to go bury bury every dump, there’s only so many places to bury it.

And the thing is, not many have that courtesy.
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 9:55 am Dispersed camping usually doesn’t involve a fee.
in national forest?

i’m pretty sure there is a general use fee. i have an annual parks pass, that covers all federal lands except national monuments, and national forests are included in the description of what is covered. i’ve also been harassed in the uintas for not having paid the use fee when camping...and that’s all national forest
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Oh, maybe.

Around here, at least, there’s usually only a fee if there’s an established campground.

If it’s just a forest road with “dispersed” camping allowed along it, usually not. That’s where the messes are made.
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:06 am Oh, maybe.

Around here, at least, there’s usually only a fee if there’s an established campground.

If it’s just a forest road with “dispersed” camping allowed along it, usually not. That’s where the messes are made.
it actually varies by forest, which i did not know

Arapaho and Roosevelt National forests are fee-free unless otherwise specified

that’s surprising, given the Denver proximity. maybe instituting use fees would help the problem? or, at least give officials leverage for removing squatters

i’m honestly shocked that there aren’t use fees for all such areas nationwide...i mean, it just makes sense given all the difficulties and work associated with maintaining even the most modest of amenities (like pit toilets)
Deleted User 89

mother fights off mountain lion to save 5-year-old son

https://cbsnews.com/news/mountain-lion- ... -year-old/

i don’t get the need to euthanize the cat. there are plenty of sanctuaries it could have gone to

i’m actually surprised we’ve not seen more of these kinds of encounters due to drought and fires
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

White Mountains you can just hike off trail and find a spot as long as you are 200 feet away from the trail.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:45 pm mother fights off mountain lion to save 5-year-old son

i don’t get the need to euthanize the cat. there are plenty of sanctuaries it could have gone to

i’m actually surprised we’ve not seen more of these kinds of encounters due to drought and fires
That’s a good point. The drought and fires put a lot of stress on critters.

Some locals up here are like “put buckets of water out to help the wildlife!” And I’m like meh whatever, I don’t want wildlife thinking of my house as a good stop for resources.

Besides, the Fraser River’s less than a mile away. Finding water from natural sources is what wild animals do.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

pdub wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:53 pm White Mountains you can just hike off trail and find a spot as long as you are 200 feet away from the trail.
Yeah, you can

but why do that when yall could instead just shit all over the place and leave?

(fwiw 200 feet is the rule here too, but look how that’s working out)
Deleted User 89

ousdahl wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:12 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:45 pm mother fights off mountain lion to save 5-year-old son

That’s a good point. The drought and fires put a lot of stress on critters.

Some locals up here are like “put buckets of water out to help the wildlife!” And I’m like meh whatever, I don’t want wildlife thinking of my house as a good stop for resources.

Besides, the Fraser River’s less than a mile away. Finding water from natural sources is what wild animals do.
several months ago there was a DOA adult cow moose, right at the intersection of i80 and i215 as you come out of Parley’s Canyon...maybe 6 or 7 blocks of residential between the road and natural habitat. but that’s it...haven’t even seen deer “in town”
Deleted User 89

ouch

https://www.wemjournal.org/article/S108 ... _aip_email

Encounters between marine animals and humans can result in critical injury and fatal complications. We highlight a 20-y-old male who sustained a penetrating injury to the neck as a result of impalement by needlefish (Tylosurus sp) while snorkeling. He sustained a penetrating injury in the posterior triangle of the neck. On presentation, he was stabilized and received empirical antibiotics, analgesia, and antitetanus toxoid injection before being transferred to a tertiary center. On presentation to the tertiary hospital, the patient was hemodynamically stable with no clinical evidence of injury to surrounding neck structures, and this was confirmed using computed tomography. The patient underwent local wound exploration and retrieval of the needlefish beak under general anesthesia. The wound was left open to heal by secondary intention. The patient was discharged with oral antibiotics and went on to make a complete recovery.

TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I just....i dont fuck with the ocean.
Just Ledoux it
shindig

Post by shindig »

Over the weekend while at Bull Shoals lake, a dude caught a 5 ft gar fish. Scary looking with sharp teeth. I didn't swim much in the lake after seeing that.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I caught a smaller one in the spillway underneath the Clinton dam. I cut the line and let him keep the hook.

Also caught a sturgeon in the Kaw. Had no idea what it was until I explained it to my buddy. Weird looking fish.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This discussion is making me even hotter than the fishing thread
Deleted User 89

this is the OG fishing thread
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

shindig wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:12 am Over the weekend while at Bull Shoals lake, a dude caught a 5 ft gar fish. Scary looking with sharp teeth. I didn't swim much in the lake after seeing that.
We used to see gar 10'+ at Lake Ozark
shindig

Post by shindig »

Overlander wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:19 pm
shindig wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:12 am Over the weekend while at Bull Shoals lake, a dude caught a 5 ft gar fish. Scary looking with sharp teeth. I didn't swim much in the lake after seeing that.
We used to see gar 10'+ at Lake Ozark
I would probably quite literally shit my pants if I saw one that big swimming around me. People catch them and then throw them on the beach to fry. Saw lots of skeletons on a small beach island.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Or.....
Chupacabra
Defense. Rebounds.