BBQ

You Love It.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: BBQ

Post by KUTradition »

i had dog in the Philippines…wonder how similar the flavor would be, given potential dietary differences
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I have no idea, I'm guessing fairly similar though I don't think I really wanna know
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I got this thing a couple of years ago for the Weber kettle. Does a great job for chicken. Looks like a dog bowl.

https://www.amazon.com/VORTEX-DIRECT-HE ... r=8-3&th=1
Trust me bro
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I smoked hamburgers this weekend. took forever (at least compared to direct heat grilling hamburgers) but they were fuckin smoky and delicious.

Also did corn at the same time. Soaked in water and left mostly in the husk. so so good. Like a smoky steam cook on cob. terrific.
Just Ledoux it
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:39 am I smoked hamburgers this weekend. took forever (at least compared to direct heat grilling hamburgers) but they were fuckin smoky and delicious.

Also did corn at the same time. Soaked in water and left mostly in the husk. so so good. Like a smoky steam cook on cob. terrific.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jXEuIHY9ic
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

TDub wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:39 am I smoked hamburgers this weekend. took forever (at least compared to direct heat grilling hamburgers) but they were fuckin smoky and delicious.

i won’t do burgers (any meat) on the smoker

cast iron skillet works great
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:22 pm

For a brisket?
Trust me bro
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:26 pm
KUTradition wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2024 2:22 pm

For a brisket?
i meant any meat type of burger…beef, turkey, bison…

i’ll smoke the shit out of just about anything else. even did tofu once just for the hell of it (and actually really liked it)
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Ha! I misread.

I did a smoked cauliflower once. I like cauliflower and it sounded like a good idea at the time. It wasn't.
Trust me bro
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

asparagus might be my favorite veggie to smoke. it seems to pull the flavor easily, and tough to screw up with whatever time and temp you’re working with
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

did another pork butt over the weekend…i think i’m hooked on finding novel uses for left overs

smoked cubano sandwiches tonight, on ciabatta and smashed on the cast iron skillet. something so simple, yet so fucking good

yellow mustard
thinly sliced swiss
dill pickle slices (longways)
black forest ham
pulled pork
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Sounds good.
Carnitas are a good choice too.
Trust me bro
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Just did some significant trimming of one of our apple trees.

Free wood chunks for smoking!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

didn't know pdub lives in an orchard
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I've got a maple tree that sheds large enough branches that I could use for bbq. Never used maple before, I may try one of these days.
Trust me bro
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 6:55 am didn't know pdub lives in an orchard
Orchard of two.
But our neighbor a few doors down has an orchard of maybe 12-15 trees?

We also have a peach tree that hasn’t borne fruit for 3 years now so I think it’s just coming down in the fall.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I have 3 apple trees that have never produced fruit and barely really bloom. I don't get it
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

My rents have two apples, a peach, and I just planted them a pear tree too.

They get shitloads of fruits. Like so many they don’t know what to do with them all.

Regardless, their fave pastime is ranting about how many fruits the squirrels make off with. Those rascals!

I’m trying to get them to plant a paw paw tree. Anybody ever had one? Some fruit tree indigenous to eastern North America, looks like a small mango and tastes like something between a mango and banana
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I get maybe 1000+ apples a year from the 2 trees.

Our neighbor with the orchard picks a lot of our apples for us and brings us a half gallon of cider he makes. And then we will probably eat/use 100 apples…so that usually means I’m bagging 15 bags of apples—over 500 apples—and taking them to the dump.

This year for my bday I got a cider press.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jealous

long, long ago i attended a presbyterian mission school in northern New Mexico that had its own orchard. the elementary grades would all participate in the picking and pressing. that press was old school, wooden, manual with the big central metal press. fantastic memories