Major housing crash coming this winter or sooner

Ugh.
MICHHAWK

Re: Major housing crash coming this winter or sooner

Post by MICHHAWK »

if you are currently at risk of freezing. like right now. nowhere to go. there is help for that.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:57 am but you currently have adequate housing. yes?
Not as adequate as some, which always seems to be part of the story with Ous. It's not always that he doesn't have access to something he "needs", it seems like it is that others maybe have more of something and that bothers him. But maybe I am reading him wrong.

And complaining about cost of rents while living in a tourist area with high cost of living always rubs me the wrong way or at least gives me an eye roll. Yes, I agree Ous, economic mobility is always a challenge...but doesn't sound like you were born there.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yes, I currently have adequate housing. Forgive me if my worldview extends further than my own doorstep.

As for illy, yeah, you're reading me wrong.

And if me complaining about my own life rubs you the wrong way, then just wait til you realize the only one complaining about my own life is actually you.
Deleted User 863

🤣🤣🤣 fair enough
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

rates over 5% and announcement of American Economy contracted 1.4% in the first quarter. Could get rough for a spell.
Just Ledoux it
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

so your girlfriend does not think i should be able to sell my house for a profit when it comes time for me to sell my house.

yippee. another democrat that wants to give everybody everything for nothing. she should be popular amongst the young people. lord knows they don't think they should have to work for it.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yippee. another republican pining for the good old days of *checks notes* the Great Depression.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:38 am yippee. another republican pining for the good old days of *checks notes* the Great Depression.
mich isn't smart enough to understand that tweet/point.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

i don't have to understand that tweet. it wasn't directed at me.

that tweet was directed at the young people that use their vote to vote for free stuff.

she wasn't tweeting at me. she was tweeting at gen z.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

lets put a pin in that gals tweet. we will circle back to see if she donates her house to charity when the time comes. i bet not.

but it sounds good as a campaign slogan.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

You are impressively stupid.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Seems odd to compare costs of things during a depression vs during a time of rapid (aside from last quarter) growth. And using wages to house price as a metric, without taking the unemployment rate into account.

She's saying it was easier then for employed people to buy a house. Ok. But unemployment was very high. I'm for people having jobs.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

cherry-picking stats without context to fail at making a point
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:04 am lets put a pin in that gals tweet. we will circle back to see if she donates her house to charity when the time comes. i bet not.

but it sounds good as a campaign slogan.
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

Mjl wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:24 am Seems odd to compare costs of things during a depression vs during a time of rapid (aside from last quarter) growth. And using wages to house price as a metric, without taking the unemployment rate into account.

She's saying it was easier then for employed people to buy a house. Ok. But unemployment was very high. I'm for people having jobs.
No mention of length of terms or down payments on mortgages during the Depression, and there were no Federal insured loans. Was buying a house really easier for the average Joe in the 1930's?

A shack with no indoor plumbing, electricity or sewer hookups, coal stove for heat and a dirt floor is not really comparable to an occupiable house today on any metric. But if anyone wants to get back to "the good olde days" there are some shipping container shacks for sale out in the desert near the Empire. You can pick them up for less money than a used car and enjoy the financial security and pride of home ownership. You would have to be a pretty tough bastard to live there.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 863

japhy wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 12:34 pm
Mjl wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 11:24 am Seems odd to compare costs of things during a depression vs during a time of rapid (aside from last quarter) growth. And using wages to house price as a metric, without taking the unemployment rate into account.

No mention of length of terms or down payments on mortgages during the Depression, and there were no Federal insured loans. Was buying a house really easier for the average Joe in the 1930's?

A shack with no indoor plumbing, electricity or sewer hookups, coal stove for heat and a dirt floor is not really comparable to an occupiable house today on any metric. But if anyone wants to get back to "the good olde days" there are some shipping container shacks for sale out in the desert near the Empire. You can pick them up for less money than a used car and enjoy the financial security and pride of home ownership. You would have to be a pretty tough bastard to live there.
No. It wasn't easier. It was probably harder.

20%+ rates. And they didn't do 30yr fixed rates back then. They were probably variable rates. Or maybe they were just starting to do 5yr balloons on 10-15yr terms.

I think it's about as easy as it has ever been to own a home. Your debt to income ratio can be ridiculously high. And the banks will finance almost 100% in some instances. Without looking, I would bet as a country % of homeownership is at least relatively close to as high as it has ever been.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

among other things we could discuss...

what do we think about something along the lines of a "vacancy tax?"

That concept is new to me today.

cuz apparently there are around 500-600k or so identified as "homeless" in Merica, but around 16 million (around 1 in every 10) vacant homes...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/10/real ... state.html
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 1:47 pm among other things we could discuss...

what do we think about something along the lines of a "vacancy tax?"

That concept is new to me today.

cuz apparently there are around 500-600k or so identified as "homeless" in Merica, but around 16 million (around 1 in every 10) vacant homes...

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/10/real ... state.html
What does the tax money go to?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno.

incentives to attract more landlords, I guess.