We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Ugh.
Deleted User 863

Re: We Lost the Battle for the Republican Party’s Soul Long Ago

Post by Deleted User 863 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:27 pm
ND students and faculty should get to decide what goes on their campus. They aren't calling for a nation wide ban on Chik-fil-a. They just don't want it on their campus....but am curious what % of students and faculty are against Chik-fil-a...

Doesn't Lindsay Graham have better things to do?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

don't all pub legislators have better things to do than attack the LBGTQ+ community?

culture wars at their finest
Deleted User 863

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:11 pm don't all pub legislators have better things to do than attack the LBGTQ+ community?

culture wars at their finest
Agreed they should have better things to do. It's dumb. If a place doesn't want chik-fil-a on campus so be it. And if a "conservative school" (are there any of those left?) decides they don't want a business their views don't align with on their campus that is totally fine with me too.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Wonder how much CFA donates to Lindsey "I have the vapors" Graham.
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, all that.

and also, why are elected public officials pimping private for-profit companies again, again?
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:28 pm yeah, all that.

and also, why are elected public officials pimping private for-profit companies again, again?
It's got nothing to do with pimping chik-fil-a. I think there are only like 10 or so chik-fil-a stores in the state of SC (yes i did some very brief research Trad).

It's about what he views as a liberal institution trying to ban something simply because they (chik-fil-a) have made it quite clear that they're owned by white Christian Republicans.

I do think it's a slippery slope, but we are already going down it and have been for some time. People are going to choose to support businesses who have political views they align with. That's ok. Personal choice is a good thing.
Deleted User 89

unless those companies see the world differently, a la social justice...then they call for the boycott of those companies
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

In a sense, it IS kinda refreshing to see a corporation care about something besides money. (think of how much they could make just by being open on Sundays!)

but it’s then a bummer to learn what they care about is further oppressing a historically oppressed demographic.

But hey, at least Lindsey “swear I’m not in the closet I just really am this hung up about gay shit” Graham has their back.

God bless em!
Deleted User 863

TraditionKU wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:01 pm

unless those companies see the world differently, a la social justice...then they call for the boycott of those companies
For sure. The hypocrisy when it comes to that is eye roll worthy.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Since when is Notre Dame University a liberal institution? Is higher education automatically liberal?
Deleted User 863

zsn wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:32 am Since when is Notre Dame University a liberal institution? Is higher education automatically liberal?
Not sure.
No. But many probably are.

Graham views them as liberal and that's all that mattered to him when he made those dumbass statements.

And....what a dumb statement "go to war for their values"...in the last few weeks i have heard go to war over chicken sandwiches and that 2 or 3 things are the worst thing since the Civil War. LOL

People are losing their fucking minds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

zsn wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:32 am Since when is Notre Dame University a liberal institution? Is higher education automatically liberal?
Yeah, I thought of this too.

It’s a private Catholic school, and prob among the more conservative institutions around.

It may be an indication of just how far right Lindsey and the chicken coop types have become
Deleted User 89

“But many probably are.”

you just can’t help yourself, can you?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

There is a strategic reason why someone who is a closeted gay republican supports a corporation that actively threatens the freedom of the LGBTQ community. And it is not principle.
Deleted User 863

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:11 am “But many probably are.”

you just can’t help yourself, can you?
Are you really going to argue that the majority of colleges/universities are conservative?

That'd be a new one.

I said they aren't automatically liberal. Seems reasonable enough. Many are. Seems reasonable enough.

Now i can't wait to hear how they are all mostly conservative institutions...
Deleted User 89

i’m not arguing anything other than your tendency to make broad statements that lack fact, when the factual information is so easily at your disposal
Deleted User 89

in 2016, 30% of universities in the US were designated as religious (which is read as conservative). just based on that metric, i think it’s safe to say that the numbers are more equal than one might think
Deleted User 863

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:20 am i’m not arguing anything other than your tendency to make broad statements that lack fact, when the factual information is so easily at your disposal
So you don't even disagree. But you want to argue about it?

What facts can i look up about whether Lindsay Graham considers a given school liberal or conservative? It's an opinion. It's fluid. It's not something that can be googled.

This discussion was about Lindsay Graham freaking out making stupid comments. He considered ND a liberal institution. Then someone asked, are colleges/universities automatically liberal? To which i responded no, but many probably are (which is true).

You're not as good at this as some of the others. Maybe stick to turtles and nature stuff? Instead of arguing everything you see and making classy posts about children who got paralyzed jumping on a trampoline.
Deleted User 863

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:29 am in 2016, 30% of universities in the US were designated as religious (which is read as conservative). just based on that metric, i think it’s safe to say that the numbers are more equal than one might think
LOL

Does that % count a small religious university the same as a USC or UCLA? Probably so and seems sorta unrealistic.
Deleted User 89

move them goalposts