ousdahl

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by ousdahl »

what bugs you, 404 not founds?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

link works fine for me just tried it again.

1428 dolphins killed in Faroe Islands rounded up with speedboats and Jetskis and driven into the shallows where they we're hacked apart woth machetes and dragged to the beach
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

the documentary about this annual event is awful to watch
Deleted User 89

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... anternfly/

A Kansas boy entered a unique insect at the state fair. It triggered a federal investigation.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

404 for me too.

And WTF is wrong with people.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 89

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/u ... for-wolves

U.S. tribes demand emergency protection for wolves

MADISON, Wis. (AP) — Dozens of American Indian tribes asked the Biden administration Tuesday to immediately enact emergency protections for gray wolves, saying states have become too aggressive in hunting the animal.
Groups representing the tribes sent a letter to Interior Secretary Deb Haaland asking her to act quickly on an emergency petition they filed in May to relist the wolf as endangered or threatened. They also asked Haaland, a member of Laguna Pueblo in New Mexico and the first Native American to lead a Cabinet agency, to relist the wolf on an emergency basis for 240 days, ensuring immediate protection.

The groups say that states have enacted “anti-wolf” policies that present “a real potential of decimating wolf populations.”

The letter doesn’t name any specific states or polices. But Izzy Baird, a spokeswoman for Relist Wolves Coalition, which has been working with tribal nations on the issue, noted in an email that Wisconsin hunters went over their kill quota of 119 by almost 100 animals during that state’s spring season; Montana allows hunters to kill up to 10 wolves each and allows private payments for dead wolves reminiscent of bounties; and that an Idaho law passed in July allows hunters to kill up to 90 percent of that state’s wolves...
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Well that sure didn't take long.
Deleted User 89

the abuse or the request?
Deleted User 89

shindig

Post by shindig »

Just aerated my front yard…never again. What a pain in the ass. My neighbor rented one and this thing is a beast. Hopefully worth the pain. My front yard now looks worse than before, but got the fertilizer down and watered. See how it goes.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

"They" say it's the best thing for you lawn. I don't believe them. Only did it a couple times. I seeded at the same time. Geebus what a mess, little dirt pellets everywhere.
Defense. Rebounds.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jhawks99 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:51 pm "They" say it's the best thing for you lawn. I don't believe them. Only did it a couple times. I seeded at the same time. Geebus what a mess, little dirt pellets everywhere.
It does seem to me like for it to work, you'd almost need to collect the little pellets, like in a vacuum and remove them, otherwise, after they break down and work back into the soil, don't you have the same amount of dirt packed into the same area of lawn?

I say this not as a know it all, because I know very little about lawns, but it doesn't make sense to me. I mean, the concept of aeration makes sense, but not the practice of it, it seems like a temporary fix.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Great for golf course greens health.

Pretty unnecessary for yards.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

the dirt clods working back into the soil isn't bad. The soil gets compacted over time, aeration opens up the soil so that oxygen, nitrogen, and water can penetrate deeper and allow the grass roots to extend further into the soil. the dirt pellets breaking down and working into the soil is fine. The point isn't to remove soil but to decompact/relax it.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:10 pm Great for golf course greens health.

depends on soil type, lawn uses, etc its beneficial to most soil (except clay or sand), maybe not necessary for typical yards, but still beneficial.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:12 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:10 pm Great for golf course greens health.

depends on soil type, lawn uses, etc its beneficial to most soil (except clay or sand), maybe not necessary for typical yards, but still beneficial.
Beneficial for sure. I do it to my yard once every 3 or 4 years typically.

But i am not someone who has sprinklers going in my yard constantly so it's not like i am hoping for immaculate grass. I water my front yard a bit, but when it's hot and no rain i let the backyard go dormant (as long as it's not more than a month or so of being dormant or it might die).
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:20 pm

But i am not someone who has sprinklers going in my yard constantly so it's not like i am hoping for immaculate grass. I water my front yard a bit, but when it's hot and no rain i let the backyard go dormant (as long as it's not more than a month or so of being dormant or it might die).
I dont do it ever.

ive got too many animals, kids, and projects going....in and on the yard. I try to water it and I'm happy if its not too patchy and somewhat green.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TDub wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:11 pm the dirt clods working back into the soil isn't bad. The soil gets compacted over time, aeration opens up the soil so that oxygen, nitrogen, and water can penetrate deeper and allow the grass roots to extend further into the soil. the dirt pellets breaking down and working into the soil is fine. The point isn't to remove soil but to decompact/relax it.
Right, so if you want to decompact/relax, shouldn't you remove the pellets? You want softer soil, it's compacted, you put holes in it, it loosens it, the pellets break down, work back in, and then your soil is compacted again.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:34 pm
TDub wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:11 pm the dirt clods working back into the soil isn't bad. The soil gets compacted over time, aeration opens up the soil so that oxygen, nitrogen, and water can penetrate deeper and allow the grass roots to extend further into the soil. the dirt pellets breaking down and working into the soil is fine. The point isn't to remove soil but to decompact/relax it.
Right, so if you want to decompact/relax, shouldn't you remove the pellets? You want softer soil, it's compacted, you put holes in it, it loosens it, the pellets break down, work back in, and then your soil is compacted again.
No. Those plugs will break down and reintegrate into the soil within a couple weeks. When they breakdown they will release the nutrients stored within the organic layers of the dirt back into your lawn. You want to leave them.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

TDub wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:23 pm
BasketballJayhawk wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:20 pm

I dont do it ever.

ive got too many animals, kids, and projects going....in and on the yard. I try to water it and I'm happy if its not too patchy and somewhat green.
I just try to make sure mine is not too shitty compared to the neighbor on my right (an old retired couple who tandem mow their yard on 2 riders and water constantly....shit looks amazing most of the time). 🤣