Recruiting 2019

Kansas Basketball.
holidaysmore

Re: Recruiting 2019

Post by holidaysmore »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:46 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:34 pm Nearly everything negative since then has been at least tangentially related to the adidas trial fallout. This is not about needing new blood.
Or, maybe we need new blood BECAUSE of the adidas trial fallout. The old blood got us into this.

Not saying we do or don't . Just, maybe.
And, depending on how you measure success the old blood has produced only one National Championship since 2008. Life comes at you real fast when you are in college basketball and when you are a guy like Snacks, who is considered the 'related' coach and you are now competing against Penny Hardaway, Jerry Stackhouse, and Mike Miller suddenly you aren't so 'relatable' anymore.

I believe that the 'lack' of success and how public it was for Grimes is playing a bigger role with negative recruiting then what people want to discuss even though Cam Reddish didn't have that great of a year with Duke and anyone who has watched basketball can see that Self gave Grimes every opportunity to be successful.

You are going to miss out on kids from time to time and as you have discussed before, CnB you will miss on cycles but I hope this isn't the beginning of a trend were elite kids believe that Self and his staff have lost touch with todays, modern game.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Again, we're a single year removed from a top 2-3 class. And, we have recruits' families specifically saying that the Adidas fallout played a role (Langford) in recruiting. Hurt and Robinson-Earl getting away would further suggest that.

This seems more about YOU believing that Self has lost touch with today's game. Everyone is certainly entitled to his or her opinion. And, maybe there is a new style of ball being played, but I think if Chris Beard and Tony Bennett have taught us anything, it's that you can win college basketball games in several different ways.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:34 pm Nearly everything negative since then has been at least tangentially related to the adidas trial fallout. This is not about needing new blood.
Or, maybe we need new blood BECAUSE of the adidas trial fallout. The old blood got us into this.

That's an entirely different argument. Dig up the old threads if you'd like to rehash.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:13 pm
TDub wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 12:01 pm I'll take Dotson coming back over any new recruit. Not that that's enough. We need Dotson and a couple top 100 guys to do anything remotely close to expectations
What type of realistic expectations can you have on a team that currently has half of their scholarships filled? Maybe I'm alone, but I tend to base my expectations on what is known to be brought to the table.
I mean expectations for Kansas Basketball in general. Not expectations for this specific team.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Which I'd throw out as spoiled as we atr is somewhere in the neighborhood of top 15. Disappointment if we dont win the conference and entering the tourney with the ability to make some noise and a real expectation of the second weekend minimum.
Just Ledoux it
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

I want Dot and SDS back and playing...sign Tucker, Holyfield and Enaruna now...hope for the best for Hampton...keep an open mind on any of the Kansas players not drafted...take a transfer for a redshirt year or two if they are brothers.
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

TDub wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:42 pm Which I'd throw out as spoiled as we atr is somewhere in the neighborhood of top 15. Disappointment if we dont win the conference and entering the tourney with the ability to make some noise and a real expectation of the second weekend minimum.
Right.

Maybe people are hung up on the word 'expectation', as being some negative indicator of an uninformed fan base.

But if we're not a team that wins, or at least hotly contends for the conference title, and is something like a 3-seed or better in the tournament, the season is not a success. There are other factors that move the needle somewhat.

You can talk about not having any players, but that's part of the expectation. The expectation is that Self and Co. are going to put together a team of players that's going to meet those later season expectations. The roster assembly is just step number one of the process.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

If it means anything, Evan Daniels at 247 just made his RJ prediction. He has predicted that he’ll go to Kansas. He has a 94% accuracy percentage out of 180 guesses. The most accurate guy on there.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:01 pm If it means anything, Evan Daniels at 247 just made his RJ prediction. He has predicted that he’ll go to Kansas. He has a 94% accuracy percentage out of 180 guesses. The most accurate guy on there.
^^^

/thread
“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:18 pm Again, we're a single year removed from a top 2-3 class. And, we have recruits' families specifically saying that the Adidas fallout played a role (Langford) in recruiting. Hurt and Robinson-Earl getting away would further suggest that.

This seems more about YOU believing that Self has lost touch with today's game. Everyone is certainly entitled to his or her opinion. And, maybe there is a new style of ball being played, but I think if Chris Beard and Tony Bennett have taught us anything, it's that you can win college basketball games in several different ways.
I probably have more of a vendetta against Self as I have never been a fan of his. Often times I have thought his schemes and playing styles were outdated but I watched some NBA last night and saw a lot of the action that he uses.

I see a lot of momentum picking up for RJ to KU. Good signs for once.
Holidaysmore - 2005
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

They didnt get us into anything other than a historically great run.

Be patient, folks. We are still alive on several great options. Land Hampton and Tucker and everyone is calling Self the King of Spring again.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

Gimme a backcourt of RJ, Dotson, Tucker, Ochai, and Marcus and I’m happy as a geoduck. I’ll look like one too.
Lonestarjayhawk

Post by Lonestarjayhawk »

Hampton or Tucker

And

Enaruna or Juzang and Holyfield
LONESTARJAYHAWK
Hall of Fame Contributor
First Ballot illy, dickvard and glugger - - Least Favorite Poster
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

It's early but just checking what I can see. What would you think about Grimes coming back.

1 Dotson

2 Silvio wins appeal comes back

3 Grimes seemed like he is for sure gone but not sure he getting drafted

So that is would you rather have Grimes or ????????? Hampton or Tucker

Maybe somebody gets in Grimes head and tells him the Story of Josh who now plays for the Incheon Elephants of the Korean Basketball League
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Rather have RJ, no question. Much quicker, better shooter. Way more potential, in terms of next year.
PortlandHawk

Post by PortlandHawk »

Tucker then RJ then Grimes, happy to have any one of them back if we have room.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PortlandHawk wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:00 am Tucker then RJ then Grimes, happy to have any one of them back if we have room.
That's my order as well. Tucker has the most experience and has proven himself at the collegiate level. Hampton is talented but lean and inexperienced. And then I just don't think Grimes is tremendously skilled to where he would be better at anything than either of the other two.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Kansas has picked up more crystal ball predictions for RJ Hampton and now lead Memphis is picks. Hopefully the trend is legit and he ends up a Jayhawk and we can stop this "maybe we need a change" nonsense.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Call me a sucker, but I'd rather have Hampton than Tucker or Grimes.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

To each their own. Tucker is a better shooter who has played D1 hoops so I value that over the potential of an 18 year old elite recruit but there's no wrong answer.

If we land either of them then KU will be a much better team next year. Land both and we are an excellent team next year.