Royals

Other Sports.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Royals

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

They traded off two lame duck contracts with guys who weren’t going to come back. And got something for them rather than a compensatory pick.

They kept major bullpen pieces, they kept Whit and even though they should have dealt Santana, he’ll be a nice piece next year.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

So, Dayton just, uh, said it.

Bobby Witt, Jr. - see you in the big leagues soon.

https://twitter.com/JoshVernier610/stat ... 16006?s=20
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

My jaw dropped. There's little to no doubt that Witt is the SS to open 2022. Mondesi might be a guy who you can plug in at 2nd, but his talent is undeniable but his ability to hold up is troublesome.

Wouldn't be surprised if he will be the 2022 CF to open the year. Whit in RF, Lopez at 2nd and Witt at SS.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I wonder if Witt goes to 3B in the games where Mondi can play.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:22 am I wonder if Witt goes to 3B in the games where Mondi can play.
I'm not biting, nope.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:22 am I wonder if Witt goes to 3B in the games where Mondi can play.
:o

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I think this was already clear in Spring Training. A Dozier long term deal was so KC. Witt and Pratto should be up now. I was hoping they could re-sign Soler and Duffy at a bargain price, but never appeared to take that seriously. Mondesi has been a real kick in the ass. Just doesn't have the drive of most ball players.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Soler tearing it up for the Braves. Dozier is .072 against the Chi Sox. Thanks Dayton.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Olivares finally getting to play and making the difference last night. Weird how little patience Matheny had with him until now.

My anger about the Soler trade is waning a little—but he is exactly who the Royals traded for. I think he could have been locked down cheaper early in the season. Then the desperate Moore got almost no value letting him go. He had turned it around the last month. Dozier needs long term rehab. That thumb injury must have been bothering him all season. Most fans had no idea until Hudler mentioned it last night. Just no reason to play through pain now. It was a terrible season for him. The worst every day player stats I have seen. Bring up Witt.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Soler was never a fit here long-term, not with the combination of him having no defensive value and also Salvy needing the DH spot on an increasing basis (in order to keep his bat in the lineup).

Not sure what Dayton was supposed to do about that - Soler was absolute dogshit for three months.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Soler is capable of hitting 60 HRs. I know the Salvy situation is a long term DH dilemma; I think they should have re-signed Soler and then dealt him for the value he has as a power hitter. As it is, we basically paid the Dodgers to take Duffy and gave Soler away. Locked down Dozier. Just not good outcomes. Compared to the Chiefs, the front office is pretty muddled right now.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Sparko wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:29 pm Soler is capable of hitting 60 HRs. I know the Salvy situation is a long term DH dilemma; I think they should have re-signed Soler and then dealt him for the value he has as a power hitter. As it is, we basically paid the Dodgers to take Duffy and gave Soler away. Locked down Dozier. Just not good outcomes. Compared to the Chiefs, the front office is pretty muddled right now.
You’re high.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Yeah, I don't agree with that Soler take, but the next two seasons are pretty huge for Dayton, et al.

My concern is that this push is going to happen at the same time the White Sox are untouchable.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:35 pm Yeah, I don't agree with that Soler take, but the next two seasons are pretty huge for Dayton, et al.

My concern is that this push is going to happen at the same time the White Sox are untouchable.
"Untouchable" is easy-come, easy-go. We need a lot to go right, but the pieces are there.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:40 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:35 pm Yeah, I don't agree with that Soler take, but the next two seasons are pretty huge for Dayton, et al.

"Untouchable" is easy-come, easy-go. We need a lot to go right, but the pieces are there.
Winning record at Comerica for the boys in blue.

Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Soler holds the single season HR record for a giant park. The Royals traded for him to develop long term. I wasn’t happy with the original trade, but he was a monster when he got his timing back. The Royals haven’t been great at coaching up ML talent. Just seems that guy with that bat speed has value. He might light up Atlanta and the NL.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Sparko wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 3:04 pm Soler holds the single season HR record for a giant park. The Royals traded for him to develop long term. I wasn’t happy with the original trade, but he was a monster when he got his timing back. The Royals haven’t been great at coaching up ML talent. Just seems that guy with that bat speed has value. He might light up Atlanta and the NL.
Possible! But he's also had one genuinely good major league season, out of six. I just don't think it was worth the money and roster spot to keep him around.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

I agree Fish; but I regret giving up on him without having him traded away when he puts up 30+ homers this year. I think he'll hit 30-35 and would have brought some value. The other end of this is that Salvy has to play. He was missing last night and it showed. Soler would have brought some good prospects after 2019 for sure too--seemed like his stats were too good to re-sign at that point.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I totally agree that the time to trade Soler was after 2019!

One of Moore's consistent flaws (arguably his biggest, besides an utter disregard (until late) of plate discipline) is that he has failed to move guys at the top of their value, when the team wasn't going to contend.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Not sure I follow the logic here. Unless your plan is to have Melendez on the ML roster, next year.

https://twitter.com/LWorthySports/statu ... 1960367104