No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Ugh.
Overlander
Contributor

Re: No One Cares Because Nothing Matters Anymore

Post by Overlander »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:01 pm
If a burger flipper makes $1000 worth of Big Macs in an hour but only gets paid $8, where's that other $992 go? Yea there's business expenses, but at the end of the day the bulk of the value generated by that labor is going to everything BUT the laborer, right?
If you had experience MANAGING a business, you wouldn’t be able to do easily discount “business expenses”

Just a sampling of the costs associated with that hamburger:

Cost Of Goods Sold (how much did the INGREDIENTS cost)( say a $1.59 burger costs .80 to make= .79 gross profit)

Rent factor (those buildings aren’t cheap, and typically have a 10-18 year duty cycle

Utilities (trust me, significantly more than you think)

Supplies (oil, wrappers, straws, etc)

Payroll (do $17/hr times average of 10 employees times hours the store is staffed, usually a few hours more than it is open to the public)(don’t forget managers, they make more)

Franchise fees (MUCH higher than you think they are)

Payroll taxes

Shrinkage ( dropped on the floor, stolen, etc) (1 burger lost takes 4 hamburgers sold to break even)

Insurance (what do YOU think a solid “slip and fall” policy costs?)

Facility maintenance (parking lot, HVAC, roof repairs, equipment, disposal fees)

McDonalds stores are barely profitable. I have a friend that owns 4 of them.
He claims that he wishes he had never gotten into it.

They HAVE to turn volume at a level that is honestly unmanageable.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Those poor oppressed capitalists.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Avg profit in the biz is 9%, if you're good.
Broham
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Overlander wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:17 pm
If a burger flipper makes $1000 worth of Big Macs in an hour but only gets paid $8, where's that other $992 go? Yea there's business expenses, but at the end of the day the bulk of the value generated by that labor is going to everything BUT the laborer, right?
If you had experience MANAGING a business, you wouldn’t be able to do easily discount “business expenses”

Cost Of Goods Sold (how much did the INGREDIENTS cost)( say a $1.59 burger costs .80 to make= .79 gross profit)

Rent factor (those buildings aren’t cheap, and typically have a 10-18 year duty cycle

Payroll (do $17/hr times average of 10 employees times hours the store is staffed, usually a few hours more than it is open to the public)(don’t forget managers, they make more)

Payroll taxes

Shrinkage ( dropped on the floor, stolen, etc) (1 burger lost takes 4 hamburgers sold to break even)

Facility maintenance (parking lot, HVAC, roof repairs, equipment, disposal fees)

It was nice of you to provide a dose of realism while not bashing him for saying that one employee could generate $1,000 of Big Macs in an hour. At $4 each, that one employee would have to cook, prep and serve 250 Big Macs in an hour, a pace of more than 4 a minute every single minute which is hilariously unrealistic.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Payroll taxes

Franchise fees are astronomical.

I knew a guy that owned a Quiznos and another that owned a Dickies and another that owned 3 or 4 similar type franchise business. They are not money making machines...by any stretch.

The insurance is significant too, I can attest to that.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:51 pm

Payroll taxes

It was nice of you to provide a dose of realism while not bashing him for saying that one employee could generate $1,000 of Big Macs in an hour. At $4 each, that one employee would have to cook, prep and serve 250 Big Macs in an hour, a pace of more than 4 a minute every single minute which is hilariously unrealistic.
yea....no doubt about it.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Oh wow. He actually said that out loud, and with such conviction.

You know you've won when he says something dumb like "those poor oppressed capitalists" and then disappears.

Feels like Q didn't take many economics classes at KU.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Hey illy, how many classes at KU did you take?

Oh yeah, that’s right.

You know I have plenty of questions and other comments I’d be glad to share, but frankly, I’ve given up and accepted the rest of the bored would prefer to just keep shitting all over fry cooks instead.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I was a Micky D's burger flipper at 16. I could crank em out at 4/minute. Big grill, big make table. No problem.
Broham
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

No way bro, that’s hilariously unrealistic, no doubt about it
Last edited by ousdahl on Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:15 pm Hey illy, how many classes at KU did you take?

Oh yeah, that’s right.

You know I have plenty of questions and other comments I’d be glad to share, but frankly, I’ve given up and accepted the rest of the bored would prefer to just keep shitting all over fry cooks instead.
I took enough economics classes at the college I attended to quickly identify you don't understand economics. Like at all.

And nobody shit on fry cooks.

Q's nose dive continues.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I call bullshit.

No way they offer economic classes at clown college.
Deleted User 863

Even your "friends" (which appear to be dwindling by the day) have tried to talk some sense into your nonsense. You won't accept it.

You're smarter than everyone.

Except you are the only one regularly coming on here and asking 1st year of college type questions ("hey mom, how do I unclog a sink") and life advice from strangers.

You have successful businesspeople like Japhy and Overlander, who actually know what they are talking about, and like you enough to be respectful, trying to help you understand. But you know better. Because you had a super deep convo at the bar with some hippie chick and figured it all out.

It's sad. It's pathetic. Of all the posters here, you seem like one of the most unhappy. I hope you get it figured out before it's too late. You seem pretty young. 16 year old humor, but I'd imagine you're in your 30s. Go out there and accomplish something other than fighting self righteous, and imaginary, battles on a messageboard. Life's too short.

If an idiot like myself can navigate the world successfully then I truly believe you can too. But it'll take some humility to realize you don't know better than everyone.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:19 pm I was a Micky D's burger flipper at 16. I could crank em out at 4/minute. Big grill, big make table. No problem.
Can you come to my house Sunday? I'm supposed to make about 150-180 latkes. Could use an experienced hand.
Deleted User 863

ousdahl wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:24 pm I call bullshit.

No way they offer economic classes at clown college.
https://curricularguides.siu.edu/all-majors.php

Looks like my clown college does offer econ. Still.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Take it to the Saluki message boreds
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

BasketballJayhawk wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:30 pm Even your "friends" (which appear to be dwindling by the day) have tried to talk some sense into your nonsense. You won't accept it.

You're smarter than everyone.

Except you are the only one regularly coming on here and asking 1st year of college type questions ("hey mom, how do I unclog a sink") and life advice from strangers.

You have successful businesspeople like Japhy and Overlander, who actually know what they are talking about, and like you enough to be respectful, trying to help you understand. But you know better. Because you had a super deep convo at the bar with some hippie chick and figured it all out.

It's sad. It's pathetic. Of all the posters here, you seem like one of the most unhappy. I hope you get it figured out before it's too late. You seem pretty young. 16 year old humor, but I'd imagine you're in your 30s. Go out there and accomplish something other than fighting self righteous, and imaginary, battles on a messageboard. Life's too short.

If an idiot like myself can navigate the world successfully then I truly believe you can too. But it'll take some humility to realize you don't know better than everyone.
Not that anyone asked why I’ve given up, but thanks for the explanation just the same.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mjl wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:32 pm
jhawks99 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:19 pm I was a Micky D's burger flipper at 16. I could crank em out at 4/minute. Big grill, big make table. No problem.
Can you come to my house Sunday? I'm supposed to make about 150-180 latkes. Could use an experienced hand.
Never made them, but I'm up for that.
Broham
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

It's basically a hash brown with onions, you'll be great. See you around noon, bring your own apron.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

Mjl wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:32 pm
What time should I be there to eat - and light the Menorah? J
Just kidding! I will be with my mother and sister and my mother's place.
Happy early Hanukkah (or however the heck you spell it)!
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.