Ugh.
Deleted User 62

Re: republicans have no shame

Post by Deleted User 62 »

HouseDivided wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:35 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:28 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:32 pm

Sorry to offend. It bugs me.
It sounded, to me, like a trumpet that seems to get played a lot....that public schools are an absolute disaster.

Of course many public schools are challenged...but it is more a result of poor funding and low incentive for talented people to become badly needed teachers.

Clearly this is not a priority of this administration, who have made no attempt to hide the fact that private, faith based schools are the only schools worth funding.

Of course, regardless of schooling, the skills and drive to be successful ultimately fall on the individual.
1) Somewhere along the line, schools decided that they need to feed everybody breakfast and lunch.

2) Provide free counseling

3) I don't disagree that kids need those things
they can be provided outside the school.

4) I would love to see the salary structure in local schools restructured to reward teachers who do good work with bonuses and other forms of incentive.
1) Just.....JFC

2) See above

3) They often cannot.

4) On this, we agree
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 12:09 pm

Like, from here:
"K-12 ...............

To here:
...... given.

"Your tax dollars at work." Just sounds like grumpy old man talk.
It sounded, to me, like a trumpet that seems to get played a lot....that public schools are an absolute disaster.

Of course many public schools are challenged...but it is more a result of poor funding and low incentive for talented people to become badly needed teachers.

Clearly this is not a priority of this administration, who have made no attempt to hide the fact that private, faith based schools are the only schools worth funding.

Of course, regardless of schooling, the skills and drive to be successful ultimately fall on the individual.
Many are a mess, because they don't have enough money.

So I personally choose to not vote for local Republicans because the ones that do get elected continue to slash funding to our school districts.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I don't disagree with 90% of what you have said. The bottom line for me is that I would be more sympathetic if schools invested more of their money in actual teaching and less in social programs and extracurricular activities. Somewhere along the line, schools decided that they need to feed everybody breakfast and lunch and provide free counseling and high-quality athletic facilities and equipment . I don't disagree that kids need those things, but they can be provided outside the school.
I don't know of a school district that feeds everyone breakfast and lunch. That seems more like an overly dramatic statement that is simply untrue. Many school districts provide some free or reduced lunches to kids who quality and I personally have no problem with some of my tax dollars going to provide that.

As for school counselors and athletic facilities being something that can be "provided outside the school", come on.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

20 years ago, a lot of the student athlete expenses were covered by the parents.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Geezer wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:49 pm 20 years ago, a lot of the student athlete expenses were covered by the parents.
Exactly. Thank you.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:43 pm

I don't disagree with 90% of what you have said. The bottom line for me is that I would be more sympathetic if schools invested more of their money in actual teaching and less in social programs and extracurricular activities. Somewhere along the line, schools decided that they need to feed everybody breakfast and lunch and provide free counseling and high-quality athletic facilities and equipment . I don't disagree that kids need those things, but they can be provided outside the school.
I don't know of a school district that feeds everyone breakfast and lunch. That seems more like an overly dramatic statement that is simply untrue. Many school districts provide some free or reduced lunches to kids who quality and I personally have no problem with some of my tax dollars going to provide that.

As for school counselors and athletic facilities being something that can be "provided outside the school", come on.
My son’s district feeds them both meals, and they encourage kids to go eat the food so they have sufficient numbers to warrant the funding. I have no problem with reduced fee lunch for those who need it.

There are already plenty of State-funded agencies that provide counseling in the community, and I disagree that schools need high-level turf fields and weight rooms funded by taxpayers. If boosters want to raise money, great; but I’d rather see the money spent on other things. And that’s coming from a parent of a kid that went on to play Division 1 sports.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:14 am
twocoach wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:43 pm

My son’s district feeds them both meals, and they encourage kids to go eat the food so they have sufficient numbers to warrant the funding. I have no problem with reduced fee lunch for those who need it.

There are already plenty of State-funded agencies that provide counseling in the community, and I disagree that schools need high-level turf fields and weight rooms funded by taxpayers. If boosters want to raise money, great; but I’d rather see the money spent on other things. And that’s coming from a parent of a kid that went on to play Division 1 sports.
Things like that typically come up as bond issues that come up for votes that we are free to vote against if we choose. If the people choose it, let it be done.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Gee, you mean that people are suddenly OK with the government offering assistance to those in desperate need when they are one of the ones in need?

The hypocrisy continues endlessly.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:10 am Gee, you mean that people are suddenly OK with the government offering assistance to those in desperate need when they are one of the ones in need?

"Hypocrisy"? What, "hypocrisy"?

More than 20 Texas representatives and senators voted against Sandy aid. How will they vote on Harvey?

Here Are All the Senators Who Voted 'No' on Hurricane Harvey Relief

Senators voted 80-17 Thursday in favor of a bill that provides billions of dollars in Hurricane Harvey relief while simultaneously funding the federal government through December.

Republican Senators:
Bob Corker,
Steve Daines,
Mike Enzi,
Joni Ernst,
Deb Fischer,
Jeff Flake,
Lindsey Graham,
Chuck Grassley,
Ron Johnson,
James Lankford,
Mike Lee,
John McCain,
Jerry Moran,
Rand Paul,
James Risch,
Ben Sasse,
and Pat Toomey, all voted against the bill...

Of course, that was back when republicans were still playing that "fiscally conservative" role. At least they won't be pushing that decades-old bullshit on us endlessly, anymore:

...The lawmakers who voted against the bill were by and large not against Harvey relief, but rather opposed to the government-funding provision that would allow the federal government to borrow enough money to avoid breaching the so-called “debt ceiling” for three months...

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:16 pm

1) Somewhere along the line, schools decided that they need to feed everybody breakfast and lunch.

4) I would love to see the salary structure in local schools restructured to reward teachers who do good work with bonuses and other forms of incentive.
1) Just.....JFC

2) See above

3) They often cannot.

4) On this, we agree
In Chicago there are in excess of 100,000 students who are considered "homeless." For most of their families, school is a refuge. A safe space.

The school closings are devastating to these families.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:23 am

1) Just.....JFC

2) See above

3) They often cannot.

4) On this, we agree
In Chicago there are in excess of 100,000 students who are considered "homeless." For most of their families, school is a refuge. A safe space.

I don't dispute that fact, nor do I discount its severity. My question is simply why is the school system the default safety net? Why divert already scarce funding away from actually educating kids to providing social services that are duplicated elsewhere in the system?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:23 am

1) Just.....JFC

2) See above

3) They often cannot.

4) On this, we agree

When people talk about the NEED to get the country running again before the remedy is worse than the disease, this is what I think about.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

Just wondering:

1. What are the other social services that are already in existence to feed school age children?

2. Are there any studies out there that correlate a child's hunger and ability to learn in a school setting?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

2) yes

(don’t have tome to look them up and post them, but there are a number that fit the bill)
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Feral wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:50 am
twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:10 am Gee, you mean that people are suddenly OK with the government offering assistance to those in desperate need when they are one of the ones in need?

More than 20 Texas representatives and senators voted against Sandy aid. How will they vote on Harvey?

Senators voted 80-17 Thursday in favor of a bill that provides billions of dollars in Hurricane Harvey relief while simultaneously funding the federal government through December.

Republican Senators:
Bob Corker,
Steve Daines,
Mike Enzi,
Joni Ernst,
Deb Fischer,
Jeff Flake,
Lindsey Graham,
Chuck Grassley,
Ron Johnson,
James Lankford,
Mike Lee,
John McCain,
Jerry Moran,
Rand Paul,
James Risch,
Ben Sasse,

Of course, that was back when republicans were still playing that "fiscally conservative" role. At least they won't be pushing that decades-old bullshit on us endlessly, anymore:

...The lawmakers who voted against the bill were by and large not against Harvey relief, but rather opposed to the government-funding provision that would allow the federal government to borrow enough money to avoid breaching the so-called “debt ceiling” for three months...

The Nancy meme is ignorant - wrong. Just sayin'.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i don’t know about the stem cell research, but the Reagan’s indifference to the gay community during the AIDS epidemic is pretty well documented
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Leawood wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:17 pm Just wondering:

1. What are the other social services that are already in existence to feed school age children?

2. Are there any studies out there that correlate a child's hunger and ability to learn in a school setting?
1.) Welfare, Food Stamps, food pantries, and multiple faith-based free meal programs in my area.

2.) I’m sure there are. Again, why is it incumbent upon the school to fill that role?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:39 pm
Feral wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:50 am

Republican Senators:
Bob Corker,
Steve Daines,
Mike Enzi,
Joni Ernst,
Deb Fischer,
Jeff Flake,
Lindsey Graham,
Chuck Grassley,
Ron Johnson,
James Lankford,
Mike Lee,
John McCain,
Jerry Moran,
Rand Paul,
James Risch,
Ben Sasse,

The Nancy meme is ignorant - wrong. Just sayin'.
Yup. Cuz only Republicans do that.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:45 pm
Leawood wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:17 pm Just wondering:

1.) Welfare, Food Stamps, food pantries, and multiple faith-based free meal programs in my area.

2.) I’m sure there are. Again, why is it incumbent upon the school to fill that role?
I'm the chairman of my daughter's high school LSC here in Chicago. We have an excellent principal who has engineered an amazing turnaround of a struggling public school.

But we will continue to struggle. Because this same principal has made a decision that he wants to make sure that the school is available to anyone in the city who wants a public school education. Neighborhood kids have priority and they make up about 30 percent of our students. But the school is open to anyone who who can make it, so we have kids who take 2-3 buses and travel more than an hour to get here.

We have a lot of kids who don't feel safe in their "local school." Some are in very poor neighborhoods like Austin. And they are good students who value an education and feel safer at this school. And they also get breakfast.