Baseball

Other Sports.
RainbowsandUnicorns
Contributor

Re: Baseball

Post by RainbowsandUnicorns »

jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:20 pm The game in Birmingham was a fun watch. They showed half an inning in black and white as close to a 1953 broadcast as they could get. My sports ball hating daughter even thought that was cool.

Nice mentions of the Monarchs and Negro League Museum, Paige etc.

Really uncomfortable watching this celebration of black athletes take place in Alabama.
Speaking of really uncomfortable....
This is the kind of stuff that when some 60, 70, 80 year old straight white Christian guy says the USA is the greatest country in the world - I sort of cringe knowing they were alive in the 60s when this took place - and it probably didn't really faze them all that much at the time.

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/stat ... 0563850245
MICHHAWK wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:48 am
your posting history on this this site alone. says you should not be calling other people stupid.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I missed that segment, thanks for posting. They seemed to do a pretty good job of not ducking the ugliness of the time.
Defense. Rebounds.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

RainbowsandUnicorns wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 6:22 am
jhawks99 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:20 pm The game in Birmingham was a fun watch. They showed half an inning in black and white as close to a 1953 broadcast as they could get. My sports ball hating daughter even thought that was cool.

Nice mentions of the Monarchs and Negro League Museum, Paige etc.

Really uncomfortable watching this celebration of black athletes take place in Alabama.
Speaking of really uncomfortable....
This is the kind of stuff that when some 60, 70, 80 year old straight white Christian guy says the USA is the greatest country in the world - I sort of cringe knowing they were alive in the 60s when this took place - and it probably didn't really faze them all that much at the time.

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/stat ... 0563850245
I came here to post that Gutter, I'm glad you already did. Man, sitting between Rodriguez and Ortiz makes "Mr. October" look diminutive. He wasn't diminutive as a player, ever. Member of 5 World Series Champion teams, I can remember being pissed off at him and never rooting for him because he had left KC with Charley Finely when he moved the A's to Oakland, but you had to respect him because he was so damn good.

I didn't know any of that about his past. He mentioned the 4 Black girls who were killed in the Birmingham church bombing. That was only 3-4 years after the "freedom riders", civil rights activists Seahawk mentioned in her post to the "We Lost the Soul of the Republican Party Long Ago" thread in the Politics forum earlier today. I was quite young, but growing up in a family that voraciously consumed news and current events, I remember both racist incidents well.

Is that the time they're referring to when we're constantly implored to "Make America Great Again"? Because, it sounds like one of the preeminent, towering, most powerful baseball players of that time could barely keep his composure, when he was asked to relate how he remembers it. How incredibly sad. Here, in the United States of America.

SMH. We can and have to do better.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It’s sell at good price or hold for the Royals. Dont be crazy and buy.

But also Sparko we are way way better than expected. We just can’t compete this season in the long run…things were just working too well.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Rich Eisen reacts to Baseball Hall of Famer Reggie Jackson recounting the racism he faced in the minor leagues in Birmingham, Alabama in the 1960’s.

Rich Eisen on the Importance of Reggie Jackson's Retelling of the Racism He Faced as a Minor Leaguer
Anand Giridharadas
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

pdub wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:24 pm It’s sell at good price or hold for the Royals. Dont be crazy and buy.

But also Sparko we are way way better than expected. We just can’t compete this season in the long run…things were just working too well.
I agree completely. But we need a manager who can evaluate talent and better develop players. Waters and Pratto 100-percent need to be getting reps and getting coaching. We are stuck with no bat Merrifields stealing PT. Q would platoon Ruth and Gehrig.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: "Texas fatigue..."

College baseball coach Jim Schlossnagle pulled a Tommy Tuberville and ditched his Texas A&M Aggies, who just lost the College World Series against Tennessee, for the open job with the University of Texas...

Coach Goes Full Tommy Tuberville and ABANDONS Team
Anand Giridharadas