The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by Deleted User 89 »

apparently California Condors are now reproducing parthenogenetically (without males)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Deleted User 89

forests and trees...much more complex than we realize

https://radiowest.kuer.org/post/finding ... nne-simard
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Got a long weekend!

Old fishing buddy from KS in town, gonna bounce around and hopefully even see some new water.

Might camp too. Never done so in
November here, but wanna get it off the bucket list. With forecasts in the 60s, I think it’s doable.

The tricky part is after dark and first thing in the morning when the temps plummet, but that’s what booze and bonfires is for.
Deleted User 89

don’t go getting worked over by that guppy again
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

November camping a success!

Didn’t get cold. But didn’t sleep much either. But come on it’s camping.

My buddy, an old KS fishing homie who lives in WA and catches steelhead now, and had him on all sorts of trout. Broke his personal record brown like 3 times by the end of the day. Going for more today.

thinking about getting some cheap fleece blankets and sewing a custom jacket or shell for my tent. I wonder if that would make the interior that much warmer
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

so I've delayed too long (thanks school age children who have brought home every sickness in existence)...now its gonna be a fight.

I have to make 2 trips for wood. zthe first one tomorrow. My big truck is tied up and I gotta use the 1/2 ton. 20ft flatbed and probably 2-2.5 cords in 8 ft lengths, log form. Its snowing up there right now. Could be a rough go tomorrow...could be fun...gotta happen either way. Anybody wanna go with? If ya don't hear from me in 24 hrs dont bother sending help I'm already gone. just dig me out in the spring and set me on fire.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:19 am November camping a success!

Didn’t get cold. But didn’t sleep much either. But come on it’s camping.

My buddy, an old KS fishing homie who lives in WA and catches steelhead now, and had him on all sorts of trout. Broke his personal record brown like 3 times by the end of the day. Going for more today.

thinking about getting some cheap fleece blankets and sewing a custom jacket or shell for my tent. I wonder if that would make the interior that much warmer

spread out a bale of straw under your tent and tarp over top of that. you'll be amazed how much that helps keep your tent warm.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:34 am so I've delayed too long (thanks school age children who have brought home every sickness in existence)...now its gonna be a fight.

I have to make 2 trips for wood. zthe first one tomorrow. My big truck is tied up and I gotta use the 1/2 ton. 20ft flatbed and probably 2-2.5 cords in 8 ft lengths, log form. Its snowing up there right now. Could be a rough go tomorrow...could be fun...gotta happen either way. Anybody wanna go with? If ya don't hear from me in 24 hrs dont bother sending help I'm already gone. just dig me out in the spring and set me on fire.
i’d go with you in a heartbeat
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, sounds rewarding.

I did the same thing here about a month ago, but smaller scale, and just a truck bed’s worth of downed beetlekill, cut just long enough to perfectly fit in the bed.

And yeah, we brought a heavy quilt and also a rug to put on the floor of the tent. Made it much more comfortable and warm. I had to take my socks off cuz they were too toasty in my sleeping bag.

The ambient temp in the tent was still chilly tho. I’m thinking about custom designing a fleece liner to fit between the tent frame and rain fly. Not sure if it would make much difference though.
Deleted User 89

just take a she-wookie with you

the combination of 70s bush and body heat should solve the problem
Deleted User 89

should it be wookette?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:44 am
TDub wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:34 am so I've delayed too long (thanks school age children who have brought home every sickness in existence)...now its gonna be a fight.

i’d go with you in a heartbeat
can you be here in the morning? haha

the only thing that concerns me is the towing capacity of the 1/2 ton....trailer and wood probably pushing 10k +.. thats a lot for that truck...in the mountains.

Talking this out reminds me I need to go find my felling wedges too
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:55 am Yeah, sounds rewarding.

I did the same thing here about a month ago, but smaller scale, and just a truck bed’s worth of downed beetlekill, cut just long enough to perfectly fit in the bed.

And yeah, we brought a heavy quilt and also a rug to put on the floor of the tent. Made it much more comfortable and warm. I had to take my socks off cuz they were too toasty in my sleeping bag.

The ambient temp in the tent was still chilly tho. I’m thinking about custom designing a fleece liner to fit between the tent frame and rain fly. Not sure if it would make much difference though.
go big and get a wall tent with a wood stove. combine with straw and tarp. you won't be cold.

but you're gonna need a mule and horse if you plan on being off the road
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, a proper outfitter tent would be a game changer.

Some day.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

they're not cheap but they are awesome.

you can find used ones with missing or broken frames for fairly cheap sometimes. Then you can get some aluminum or steel tubing and weld the end pieces on for the frame to slide together and build the frame for it. Thats the cheapest way to go about it...but requires some additional work.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:57 am should it be wookette?
First of all, her name is Scarlet Begonia

And second of all, she couldn’t come camping cuz she’s still sick from those Phish Vegas shows over Halloween.

I told her to get tested for the Rona, but she insists it’s just wook flu
Deleted User 89

TDub wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:20 am go big and get a wall tent with a wood stove. combine with straw and tarp. you won't be cold.

that’s rather poetic, TDub
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:43 am
TDub wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:20 am go big and get a wall tent with a wood stove. combine with straw and tarp. you won't be cold.

that’s rather poetic, TDub
ha! I'm a poet and didn't even know it. must be all the Ledoux over the years seeping in
Just Ledoux it
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

I woulda been there if you had helped me load two 8 foot tall french doors out in the boonies near Calhan in the dark on Thursday night. I was sitting alone in the dark in a uhaul truck parked at a fence looking at a bunch of abandoned trailers with $3000 in my pocket, waiting for "a guy from Denver" to show up. I texted my wife at 8:00 PM to apprise her of the situation and my location. Her words of wisdom were "good luck". I told her, "it's funny but that is what I just named the knife in my coat pocket". I have to pick up a load of cabinets the Sunday before Thanksgiving, but the rest of that week will be looking for things to do in the Springs.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.