republicans have no shame

Ugh.
HouseDivided

Re: republicans have no shame

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:05 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:45 pm
Leawood wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:17 pm Just wondering:

1. What are the other social services that are already in existence to feed school age children?

2. Are there any studies out there that correlate a child's hunger and ability to learn in a school setting?
1.) Welfare, Food Stamps, food pantries, and multiple faith-based free meal programs in my area.

2.) I’m sure there are. Again, why is it incumbent upon the school to fill that role?
I'm the chairman of my daughter's high school LSC here in Chicago. We have an excellent principal who has engineered an amazing turnaround of a struggling public school.

But we will continue to struggle. Because this same principal has made a decision that he wants to make sure that the school is available to anyone in the city who wants a public school education. Neighborhood kids have priority and they make up about 30 percent of our students. But the school is open to anyone who who can make it, so we have kids who take 2-3 buses and travel more than an hour to get here.

We have a lot of kids who don't feel safe in their "local school." Some are in very poor neighborhoods like Austin. And they are good students who value an education and feel safer at this school. And they also get breakfast.
I think that’s great. It doesn’t answer my second question, though.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

are you volunteering to fill that role instead?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:31 pm are you volunteering to fill that role instead?
Taxes pay for services in place that make what the schools are doing redundant. I’m still waiting for an answer to my original question.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:46 pm Yup. Cuz only Republicans do that.
For now, yes. The hypocrite-majority on the SCOTUS will hold oral arguments by teleconference while they just endangered the lives of millions of people in Wisconsin who wished to exercise they Constitutional right. I think a special hell is too kind for them, as if we needed another reason.

At least the KS Supreme Court made a narrow ruling with a logically consistent outcome (actually punting on the merits of the case).
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

1. What are the other social services that are already in existence to feed school age children?

2. Are there any studies out there that correlate a child's hunger and ability to learn in a school setting?
1.) Welfare, Food Stamps, food pantries, and multiple faith-based free meal programs in my area.

2.) I’m sure there are. Again, why is it incumbent upon the school to fill that role?
If a kid can't get healthy, adequate food at home, I have no problem as a member of the community in helping to bridge that gap. Again, we vote on such things in bond issues and other funding discussions so that members of our community are given the chance to argue against such actions if they don't want their tax dollars spent that way.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

twocoach wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:03 pm

If a kid can't get healthy, adequate food at home, I have no problem as a member of the community in helping to bridge that gap. Again, we vote on such things in bond issues and other funding discussions so that members of our community are given the chance to argue against such actions if they don't want their tax dollars spent that way.
I have no problem helping out as a member of the community, either. My question remains why divert time and financial resources from education when there are existing services and vehicles already in place?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:42 pm
ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:31 pm are you volunteering to fill that role instead?
Taxes pay for services in place that make what the schools are doing redundant. I’m still waiting for an answer to my original question.
I believe the idea behind a social service is to make the service as easy for as many people as possible. If they can get a hot meal for breakfast at their school, why not? Could it make them better students to know that they are in a safe environment and not hungry at the same time? It's also more efficient as they can eat, learn and be in a safe environment at the same time.

Why do schools have social workers? Isn't that redundant as well?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

How long is the lunch period in elementary school?
Is it beneficial to allow children to enter school early enough to eat breakfast?
Do you give a shit about any children but your own?
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:45 pm
I believe the idea behind a social service is to make the service as easy for as many people as possible. If they can get a hot meal for breakfast at their school, why not? Could it make them better students to know that they are in a safe environment and not hungry at the same time? It's also more efficient as they can eat, learn and be in a safe environment at the same time.

So it's a convenience issue. Got it.

And, yes, I think having school social workers is redundant as well.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Geezer wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:31 pm How long is the lunch period in elementary school?
Is it beneficial to allow children to enter school early enough to eat breakfast?
I do. My question, again, is, if we are already paying for the same services that are available elsewhere in the community, why are we paying for them again, and at the same time using money that could be going toward computers, books, smaller classroom sizes, etc.? I don't think it is a confusing question, but everybody seems to be assuming that I want the school to be full of scared, cold, hungry kids.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Nobody is getting your money for feeding kids twice. You want the 8 year olds taking a bus to the soup kitchen for lunch? The most efficient way to feed them is at school.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:37 pm

All you need to know about Psych in two paragraphs, folks.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:57 pm

Why is this so hard to understand? If the government is already paying for social workers, why aren't government agencies - not school districts - placing them in the school? I earned my clinical licensure hours exactly that way. I was paid by the community mental health center, who contracted to place me as the school counselor in a school district that was having financial trouble.

It saved the school district a ton of money in salary, benefits, and retirement - money they could spend on educational services - and allowed the kids to still have someone on-site. Do you see what I'm saying about redundancy of services? I feel like I'm speaking a foreign language here.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Geezer wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:55 pm Nobody is getting your money for feeding kids twice. You want the 8 year olds taking a bus to the soup kitchen for lunch? The most efficient way to feed them is at school.
Sigh. I give up.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

HouseDivided wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:39 pm
Geezer wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:31 pm How long is the lunch period in elementary school?
I do. My question, again, is, if we are already paying for the same services that are available elsewhere in the community, why are we paying for them again, and at the same time using money that could be going toward computers, books, smaller classroom sizes, etc.? I don't think it is a confusing question, but everybody seems to be assuming that I want the school to be full of scared, cold, hungry kids.
I think there are probably lots of reasons.

Logistical ones, a kid can't leave school every day at lunch to go to the grocery store to use his foodstamps.

To fill in the gaps. There are probably a lot of families who are relatively poor but not poor enough to qualify for some other the programs.

Some students may just have bad parents who don't provide for them properly.

You're viewing it as a redundancy when maybe it's more of a fail-safe. And a new textbook or a smaller class might be less important to a kid who isn't eating meals regularly.

I hate government waste, but I'm bothered much more by someone who fakes an injury to get social security disability benefits or lies about their income to get food stamps, and not at all bothered if a kid gets his lunch subsidized even though the catholic church next door has some canned goods he could go get for free.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:04 pm

Logistical ones, a kid can't leave school every day at lunch to go to the grocery store to use his foodstamps.

To fill in the gaps. There are probably a lot of families who are relatively poor but not poor enough to qualify for some other the programs.

You're viewing it as a redundancy when maybe it's more of a fail-safe. And a new textbook or a smaller class might be less important to a kid who isn't eating meals regularly.

I hate government waste, but I'm bothered much more by someone who fakes an injury to get social security disability benefits or lies about their income to get food stamps, and not at all bothered if a kid gets his lunch subsidized even though the catholic church next door has some canned goods he could go get for free.
Thank you. I appreciate your measured, rational, non-condescending response.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:04 pm

what psych said. good response!

If you don't mind me asking, how do you feel about corporations that ask for bailouts?
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Geezer wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:31 pm
Depends. Are they white?
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:57 pm

It's a good summary, but I am confident that we all already knew what Psych was about.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Today In: Nice try republicans, but fuck you!

“The Electoral College is DEI for rural white folks.”
Derek Cressman