Evil Rich People

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: Evil Rich People

Post by ousdahl »

And FWIW it’s not that I don’t trust anything the gummint tells us. If I see a stop sign at an intersection, I can believe in good faith that it’s worth stopping.

It’s more particular to the war narratives. They’re historically just SO unreliable that I think one should at least approach with some sense of skepticism in real time.

But, let’s not do this, mmkay? On a Wednesday? Next thing you know, illy’s gonna get all flustered and start slicing in the woods.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

yeah, everyone

please don’t feed the troll
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

And please don’t hold a grudge.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

news flash: it’s not really a grudge when you keep trolling with the same bs

that’s why you get the mich/randi treatment
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

But I’ve been trying to not “keep trolling,” and so many other posters seemed to have sorta actually chilled out.

you might be the only one still giving me the “mich/randy treatment.”
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

if my calling out your bs bothers you so much you can 1) ignore me (you seem good at recommending this to others, but unwilling to follow the advice yourself), or 2) you can give the schtick a rest

but you can’t help yourself. even in the post at the top of this page, pleading to not do this on a wednesday, you just had to try and rehash the same nonsense…IRAQ!!! WMDs!!!! OMG!!!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’m trying to give the shtick a rest. I wasn’t the one who brought up WMDs in Iraq in this thread today.

But, if you’d really like me to follow the advice, okay, fine.

Trad is now on ignore.

(biggest sigh in the history of the message boreds)
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:31 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:28 am I almost wish we could just like nationalize a communication platform that would pretty much just be OG Twitter - short messages that get to the point with robust real-time search and hashtag features, largely for the sake of breaking news and current event discussion.

And while I know nationalizing anything is kinda scary, at this point I kinda think that might still be a better option than to just keep letting Evil Rich People do what they’re doing to it.
Let me make sure I understand what you're saying. The "don't trust anything the gov't tells us because they lied about WMDs in Iraq" guy wants the government to be in charge of a social media platform and it's allowable contents? Do I have that right?
He is all over the place.

It needs to be nationalized, but independently administered (which means not nationalized).

He's using words, and he's using them together. They're good words. Nationalized is a cool word. So are the words independently and administered. But the combo he's using doesn't make much sense in real life application.
DeletedUser

Post by DeletedUser »

Q: you made it a few days. The fish picture post was cool. And now this (glad i was golfing). And there is nothing more goofy than declaring to everyone you've placed someone on ignore. Come on. The only thing it's doing is making another step for you to read all of his posts (which we know you'll inevitably do).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 5:09 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:31 am
ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 10:28 am I almost wish we could just like nationalize a communication platform that would pretty much just be OG Twitter - short messages that get to the point with robust real-time search and hashtag features, largely for the sake of breaking news and current event discussion.

And while I know nationalizing anything is kinda scary, at this point I kinda think that might still be a better option than to just keep letting Evil Rich People do what they’re doing to it.
Let me make sure I understand what you're saying. The "don't trust anything the gov't tells us because they lied about WMDs in Iraq" guy wants the government to be in charge of a social media platform and it's allowable contents? Do I have that right?
He is all over the place.

It needs to be nationalized, but independently administered (which means not nationalized).

He's using words, and he's using them together. They're good words. Nationalized is a cool word. So are the words independently and administered. But the combo he's using doesn't make much sense in real life application.
I mean - and to be clear, I am NOT at all saying that this is what ous consciously INTENDED to do - can't you hear your garden variety second- to ninth-tier MAGAs (from your DeSantises to your Stephen Millers to your Viveks) advocating for a "nationalized" but "independently administered" platform?

Isn't that sort of exactly how one might apply the authoritarian "rules for thee but not for me" tack to social media? All you're missing is the asterisk after "independent" (because lol we all know that it's gonna be a righty plant), but it's easily inferred.

In other words, this is how you'd give practical effect to the bad-faith twisting of "freedom of speech" into "freedom from consequences for my and my buddies' speech".
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

No, I can’t hear any tier of magahead advocating for a nationalized anything.

That seems entirely at odds with the magahead ideal of free market privatized everything.

But yea the “independent” sort of thing is pretty much what we’re seeing with twitter, meta, et al in real time.

I mean heck, wasn’t Twitter like actually kind of what I described before ol’ Space Karen bought it on a whim just cuz he could and started fucking it up?

As for whether I consciously intended to advocate for anything a magahead might too, I did not.

That consciously thing kinda gets me tho.

I mean, I am NOT at all saying that this is what fish consciously INTENDED to do, but I’m pretty sure fish’s views really are so good-guy-bad-guy and so narrow that anything that does not fit into those views are assumed by fish to be, by default, something from magaland.

I would want much of the point of the nationalization to be precisely to avoid the “for thee but not for me” sort of influence that seems much to come from a dood like Elon being able to buy up an entire communications platform.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

DeletedUser wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 5:11 pm Q: you made it a few days. The fish picture post was cool. And now this (glad i was golfing). And there is nothing more goofy than declaring to everyone you've placed someone on ignore. Come on. The only thing it's doing is making another step for you to read all of his posts (which we know you'll inevitably do).
ummm...thanks for the perspective, I guess?

cuz yea, it's pretty wild that trad cannot or will not even engage me beyond some "calling out bs" sort of approach...especially considering what pleasant acquaintances we were for so many years...heck, trad used to love sharing fish pictures! (another big sigh)

but if he's going to go so far as mock me for not following the advice myself, I'd rather just follow the advice myself.

(wait...did I just get mocked by one poster for not following the advice myself, then get mocked by another poster for following the advice myself...?!)

and yea, I very well may still read his posts, even if it means having to click one more time. But I still find a certain practical value in it. It gives me pause, and reminds me that this poster is not attempting to actually engage in any sort of friendly dialogue, so much as he is "calling out bs," so it's prob not worth me attempting to engage him, either. If he really wants to appoint himself to some "BS police" sorta role, it's his prerogative, but it's also my prerogative to just not wanna bother with it.

...for a while, at least. I prob won't keep him on ignore forever. And, believe it or not, I still have some hope that trad and I might some day be pleasant acquaintances once again.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

People have "chilled out" precisely because they have chosen to stop engaging you...the juice ain't worth the squeeze. it's the same bullshit over and over from you, regardless of what information is provided...so what's the point?
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

:lol:

alternate reality

i gave him all the leash he needed to hang himself

victimhood is easier i guess
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 6:22 pm No, I can’t hear any tier of magahead advocating for a nationalized anything.

That seems entirely at odds with the magahead ideal of free market privatized everything.

But that is not the magahead ideal. They've moved onto straight, state-sponsored fascism. There's an entire YEAR of DeSantis v. Disney you might look up. Or the constant knowing-and-intentional illogic over what "free speech" means and does not mean.

These fucks DO want the government to control private business, where private business is not doing what they want.

And while I meant what I said - that you did not consciously follow the magahead logic down this particular rabbit hole - I think you should be aware that what you are suggesting is very consistent with bullshit right wing talking points.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Do the magaheads wanna nationalize healthcare too?
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2024 8:54 pm Do the magaheads wanna nationalize healthcare too?
Yes. By banning abortion, birth control and disability payments everywhere.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

not ok

Elon Musk’s new super PAC is collecting scores of voters’ personal information under the guise of inviting them to register to vote, as part of his effort to boost Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.

Earlier this month, Musk denied reports that he would be donating $45 million a month to Trump’s campaign during an interview with right-wing commentator Jordan Peterson. Instead, the technocrat clarified that he had created a new super PAC, called the America PAC.

Musk’s America PAC is a door-to-door canvassing operation, which allows it to work in direct coordination with the Trump campaign, according to an FEC advisory from earlier this year. This allows Musk, and his fellow Silicon Valley donors, to stick their hands—and their cash—right into the presidential race on Trump’s behalf.

How exactly they plan to do this is even more disturbing.

The America PAC has launched a series of digital ads using the image of Trump’s assassination, to invite people browsing Google to “register to vote,” CNBC reported Friday. In states where the outcome is certain, such as California, the ads actually do direct them to a voter registration site.

But in key battleground states, users are directed to a very different page, which prompts them to enter their phone number, address, and age. Once complete, users are then greeted by a “Thank You” page, with no actual link to voter registration in sight.

Musk’s America PAC has poured $800,000 into digital advertisements to target voters in the key battleground states of Arizona, Michigan, Georgia, North Carolina, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, according to AdImpact. The information collected from user responses to this ad campaign will inform the PAC’s canvassing efforts in those states...

(New Republic)
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:37 pm not ok

Elon Musk’s new super PAC is collecting scores of voters’ personal information under the guise of inviting them to register to vote, as part of his effort to boost Donald Trump’s presidential campaign.

Earlier this month, Musk denied reports that he would be donating $45 million a month to Trump’s campaign during an interview with right-wing commentator Jordan Peterson. Instead, the technocrat clarified that he had created a new super PAC, called the America PAC.

Musk’s America PAC is a door-to-door canvassing operation, which allows it to work in direct coordination with the Trump campaign, according to an FEC advisory from earlier this year. This allows Musk, and his fellow Silicon Valley donors, to stick their hands—and their cash—right into the presidential race on Trump’s behalf.

The America PAC has launched a series of digital ads using the image of Trump’s assassination, to invite people browsing Google to “register to vote,” CNBC reported Friday. In states where the outcome is certain, such as California, the ads actually do direct them to a voter registration site.

But in key battleground states, users are directed to a very different page, which prompts them to enter their phone number, address, and age. Once complete, users are then greeted by a “Thank You” page, with no actual link to voter registration in sight.

Musk’s America PAC has poured $800,000 into digital advertisements to target voters in the key battleground states of Arizona, Michigan, Georgia, North Carolina, Nevada, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, according to AdImpact. The information collected from user responses to this ad campaign will inform the PAC’s canvassing efforts in those states...

(New Republic)
I mean, of course that's not ok.

But that said - this particular grift would seem to skew unfavorable to Trump, right?
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:39 pm
KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:37 pm not ok

(New Republic)
I mean, of course that's not ok.

But that said - this particular grift would seem to skew unfavorable to Trump, right?
maybe?

if those in swing states catch on

or, do you mean to suggest that more unregistered non-trump voters would be prompted to register in the non-swing states?