The Great Outdoors

Coffee talk.
KUTradition
Contributor

Re: The Great Outdoors

Post by KUTradition »

EPA being sued for failure to protect manatees from florida water pollution
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

apologies to the obsessed that this has a bit of politics, but for anyone that utilizes BLM land it’s worth a read

https://outsideonline.com/outdoor-adven ... nning-blm/
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

KUTradition wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:09 pm EPA being sued for failure to protect manatees from florida water pollution
Honest thought:

During the trial I bet there is a ruling whether they're referred to as manatee or sea cow.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:32 am
KUTradition wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:09 pm EPA being sued for failure to protect manatees from florida water pollution
Honest thought:

During the trial I bet there is a ruling whether they're referred to as manatee or sea cow.
what, no love for the dugong?

i’d go Linnaean route if it were me…Trichechus manatus (but i’m a nerd)
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

per NatGeo:

The axolotl is quirky. Unique. Named after the Aztec god of fire and lightning. And critically endangered.

Now, Mexican artists and businesses are embracing the native salamander, placing its perpetually smiling likeness on walls, beer bottles, and even projected onto an outdoor stage (pictured above). It is featured on Mexico’s new 50-peso note and on Minecraft and Roblox video games.

The effort is intended to shore up environmental concern for the foot-long amphibian, Tina Deines reports. There’s not much time.

While popular in captivity as pets, the wild population in its shrinking natural habitat, a few canals near Mexico’s City’s Lake Xochimilco, has been estimated at between only 50 and 1,000. Photographer and Nat Geo Explorer Luis Antonio Rojas took the image above of a female axolotl swimming in a water tank at a National Autonomous University of Mexico lab.

The brewery featuring the animal includes information to vendors about axolotls and how to save them. Founder Matías Vera-Cruz Dutrenit, who admires the salamander’s ability to regrow limbs and its historic symbolism to Mexico, says he hopes his beer “can act as a good ambassador to the animal.” Read the full article here.

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

2nd ever successful wild-hatched nestling California Condor just fledged in Zion

pretty cool success story for a species that was on the brink of extinction, 27 individuals, in the late 1980s
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

entitled americans

it’s amazing how black and brown people in Africa, Asia and South America have learned to live alongside their apex predators by utilizing mitigation schemes to reduce these kinds of conflicts

the “but mah rights” crowd can hardly be bothered
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I dont recall what show it was but it was on Discovery channel and there was a feature about how African farmers do kill lions if they are attacking their livestock.
Deleted User 863

Post by Deleted User 863 »

Always the Pubs fault.

Rinse. Repeat.

Going to be a long day around here folks.
Last edited by Deleted User 863 on Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deleted User 863

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:40 am I dont recall what show it was but it was on Discovery channel and there was a feature about how African farmers do kill lions if they are attacking their livestock.
https://phys.org/news/2019-02-maasai-fa ... h%20Ontiri.

Probably African Pubs.
Deleted User 863

Lion killing has historically been part of their culture.

Stick to snakes?
Deleted User 863

Is it all the poor rural american Pub but mah rights crowd killing the tigers in asia?

https://www.ecowatch.com/endangered-tig ... 01393.html

Trad is not going to be happy to learn about this....never good to start the day bringing the dumb in multiple threads but the Salty City BYU boy is bringing it today. I think I will take a sick day to enjoy the show to follow....
Deleted User 863

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.monga ... -2022/amp/

In 2010, government ministers from the 13 countries that still had wild tiger populations committed to implementing measures to double the number of the big cats by 2022.
In Southeast Asia, it is highly unlikely that this goal will be met, with many countries in the region actually seeing their tiger populations go extinct or decline since the pledge was made.
Deleted User 863

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

pdub wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:40 am I dont recall what show it was but it was on Discovery channel and there was a feature about how African farmers do kill lions if they are attacking their livestock.
i’m sure some do

just like i’m sure some ranchers don’t demonize wolves

that doesn’t seem to be the overall trend tho
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

ousdahl wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:02 pm This is like, right by me

https://www.instagram.com/p/CY5feudMb-z ... =copy_link
Yes. I think Colorado needs more wolves.

I have no sympathy for the hillbilly cowboys and ranchers who occasionally lose a cow.
Last edited by Cascadia on Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I dont think it is a racial issue more of a philosophy issue on how to deal with animals attacking your livelihood.

Now whether that livelihood is responsible is another issue...and has been debated on this bored.