Wildfires

Coffee talk.
Back2Lawrence

Re: Wildfires

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Lawrence, Kansas sunset tonight. Thought I was in Colorado for a minute.

Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:05 pm 750,000 acres on fire in eastern oregon, just absolutely fucking up big chunks of national forest and good elk habitat,

if they come back it'll be great new growth area in 5 years..but boy....ugly for awhile
I spoke to a friend in Boise, Idaho yesterday, and she said it was impacting their air quite a bit, too. She also said it was thought to be due to an arsonist.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

arsonist arrested for one of the Cali fires
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:50 pm
TDub wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:05 pm 750,000 acres on fire in eastern oregon, just absolutely fucking up big chunks of national forest and good elk habitat,

if they come back it'll be great new growth area in 5 years..but boy....ugly for awhile
I spoke to a friend in Boise, Idaho yesterday, and she said it was impacting their air quite a bit, too. She also said it was thought to be due to an arsonist.
most of these were due to a couple dry lightning storms we had when it was 105+ for 3 weeks straight

I haven't heard of arson for these particular fires. A few small ones were due to harvesting equipment catching fire and setting fields ablaze but those all got snuffed pretty fast. The big bad ones were lightning as far as I'm aware.
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TDub wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:56 pm

most of these were due to a couple dry lightning storms we had when it was 105+ for 3 weeks straight

I haven't heard of arson for these particular fires. A few small ones were due to harvesting equipment catching fire and setting fields ablaze but those all got snuffed pretty fast. The big bad ones were lightning as far as I'm aware.
I was surprised to hear her say that too, but what do I know from 1200 miles away?

Total Aside: Her daughter, who is about to start her freshman year at Montana U in fish biology, is spending her summer snorkeling in streams in northern Idaho counting trout nests, )or something along that line). What a way to spend your summer and get paid to do it.
Anand Giridharadas
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Shirley wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:06 pm

I was surprised to hear her say that too, but what do I know from 1200 miles away?

Total Aside: Her daughter, who is about to start her freshman year at Montana U in fish biology, is spending her summer snorkeling in streams in northern Idaho counting trout nests, )or something along that line). What a way to spend your summer and get paid to do it.
thats awesome.

I tried for years to get a gig with the forest service. But, it's a hard gig to get, especially if you don't know the right people. It'd also a not great paying job for the first 15ish years. But, man, it'd be a great way to spend a career.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

900+ fires burning in Canada

half of the town of Jasper, Alberta, up in flames
Have we fallen into a mesmerized state that makes us accept as inevitable that which is inferior or detrimental, as though having lost the will or the vision to demand that which is good?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:10 am 900+ fires burning in Canada

half of the town of Jasper, Alberta, up in flames
that sucks, Jasper is awesome
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

I hate the wildfires destroying all the forests more than about anything. I fucking hate it all.
Just Ledoux it
KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

we’ve got a trip to the Black Hills coming up…current air quality is registering at 100

not a fun time when it’s hot AND smokey. been there, done that
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

The right wingers that I know in Oregon are saying that homeless people are starting all of the fires there.
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Overlander wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:59 pm

The right wingers that I know in Oregon are saying that homeless people are starting all of the fires there.
And here I suspected the childless cat ladies.
Anand Giridharadas
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

Jewish Space Lasers
"The truth is obtained like gold, not by letting it grow bigger, but by washing off from it everything that isn’t gold.” Tolstoy
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Overlander wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 5:59 pm

down in town they have had several started at homeless camps, aome unintentionally, some intentionally...but those were small and handled quickly
Just Ledoux it
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I was watching a video of a physician talking about the finding in a recent study that the current shingles vaccine delays the onset of dementia by ~ a half a year. Shingles is the reactivation of the virus that gave you chicken pox when you were a child. The virus hangs out in your nervous system and then is reactivated in some people, decades later. They don't know why the vaccine delays dementia, but it's theorized if the virus causes inflammation over the decades while it's hanging out in your nervous system, perhaps the vaccine cuts down on it. That led to a discussion of whether the current recommendation that people get the vaccine after age 50 should be lowered, to prevent the inflammation that might be causing dementia, even earlier.

Why, you might ask, am I mentioning this potentially fantastic accidental unintended benefit of the shingles vaccine? Because then they talked about some of the potentially modifiable dementia risk factors, including diabetes and smoking, and the physician added the smoke from wildfires, to that list...
Anand Giridharadas
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

Mountain just West of Loveland, Colorado burning. Some tremendous images on twitter from Lake Loveland show fire on ridges in distance above city. First fire in a minute that is close enough to many I know that I more than passively read news.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

no wildfires in Michigan today.
Back2Lawrence

Post by Back2Lawrence »

KUTradition
Contributor

Post by KUTradition »

Park fire now 4th largest in Cali history…just under 400K acres burned, and only 1/4 contained

some 200 fires currently burning across the pacific coast states
Overlander
Contributor

Post by Overlander »

KUTradition wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:09 pm Park fire now 4th largest in Cali history…just under 400K acres burned, and only 1/4 contained

some 200 fires currently burning across the pacific coast states
I haven't been able to see Mt Hood for over a week now.